Home > Td5 > Td5 heater problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
divethedeep

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Arles Blue
Td5 heater problems
Hi
Owned this dec 03 td5 for 6 years now and always struggled with the heater in the colder months
I have changed the stat but still takes a long time to warm up and even then it doesn't pump out hot air like other vehicles I own I have taken to removing the viscouse fan during winter to try to improve things
Any advise would be helpful
Thanks
Post #384397 3rd Jan 2015 4:17am
epictrail

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
On my 2004 TD5 I recently replaced the heater box (inc matrix and fan) for a new ex MOD spares genuine LR one. Massive improvement in heater output. My mechanic said that he always fits genuine LR matrix rather than pattern as the heat output is far higher. My 110 is warmed up in about 5 miles of driving and the fan is still in place.
Post #384453 3rd Jan 2015 12:25pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Do you have any info (part number, pictures...anything) on that unit? I would like to see if I could find one.
Post #386855 9th Jan 2015 10:02pm
df1

I just accepted td5 heaters are poor and fitted an eberspacher heater.
Post #386875 9th Jan 2015 10:37pm
Kent_keith

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Re: Td5 heater problems
divethedeep wrote:
Hi
Owned this dec 03 td5 for 6 years now and always struggled with the heater in the colder months
I have changed the stat but still takes a long time to warm up and even then it doesn't pump out hot air like other vehicles I own I have taken to removing the viscouse fan during winter to try to improve things
Any advise would be helpful
Thanks

There are quite a few threads on this, best do a search, but mine takes ages to warm up compared to my other vehicles, and I asked the same question as you a little while ago. The only thing I can say is, once it has warmed up, the heater blows out very hot air not just warm air. Fitting a muff helped with the warm up period. (others will disagree with this) check that the heating valve is being opened fully when operated by the leaver. Very Happy 2005 TD5 90 CSW XS
Post #386922 10th Jan 2015 6:59am
epictrail

CDN38 wrote:
Do you have any info (part number, pictures...anything) on that unit? I would like to see if I could find one.

If you search for STC456 on eBay a couple come up at the moment.

I bought direct from Hobson Industries and got a good discount buying away from eBay. You may need to change the plug to the loom depending on your Defender.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...418de0dc35
Post #386967 10th Jan 2015 12:04pm
calum

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
I've only had mine a couple of months and I thought the heater was terrible. I've changed the stat (which includes the bypass valve). Needle now sits lower on temp gauge, if anything, but there seems to be a slight improvement in heat output which suggests bypass valve may have been slightly faulty.

It's had a recent genuine heater matrix assembly. I also changed the coolant pump for an OEM Quinton Hazell one. Zero difference from that. I've followed all kinds of bleeding procedures with no change.

The fan is removed.

When idling it will never get much above the blue band on the gauge. When driving around town it struggles to get properly warm. Only time I ever get decent temperature air out of the vents is on a faster road where the engine is working harder, but even then I would never say it gets very hot.

I have adjusted the flap control to make sure it's fully across when the lever is at hot. No difference.

The only thing that does seem to make a bit of difference is, and this seems strange to me, is running the blower on the high speed gives hotter air than the cold speed. So it seems like speed 1 does not shift enough air to take advantage of the heat transfer available, but speed 2 is quite noisy! A bit of messing with the resistor pack may produce a 1.3 speed that would work better but without deafening you? I haven't investigated where teh speed control is - if it is on the heater assembly or the switch at the dashboard yet.

I find myself stuffing stuff between seat base and back to stop the chill at the base of my spine! Also stuff my coat between centre cubby and left leg to stop the same! The defender makes me feel old sometimes!

I've given up and last night ordered a webasto thermo top from duckworth parts who are doing them for £150 just now. I've asked an electronics whizz at work to see if he can follow the instructions on the disco 3 site to build me a controller. Failing that I'll just buy another 1533 timer and a remote unit from maplin and build another set up like I've fitted to my wife's disco 3.

Cheers,

Calum
Post #390807 20th Jan 2015 10:51pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Sorry to say that you'll still get the draft up the side of your drvers seat Callum, I cured the seat box chills by taping all the seams and holes with Gaffa tape but the one that hits you in the small of the back next to the door is mainly from the door seals. If you crack the window open you can vary the amount of 'chill' as the draught on mine comes through the door panel itself. I have an Eberspacher air heater in mine which is a great bonus in getting the cabin warm before the engine has turned, the heater on mine has to be turned down after 15 minutes of driving or just turn the fan off and even then it can be roasting on a drive. I put mine down to the radiator matrix being around a third blocked with Salisbury Plain mud which I should get round to cleaning out when the warmer 2 days of the year arrive.
Post #390826 20th Jan 2015 11:24pm
Kent_keith

Put some heated seats in, mine heat the base and the back of the seat, if there are drafts in mine it's not noticeable Thumbs Up 2005 TD5 90 CSW XS
Post #390861 21st Jan 2015 7:38am
calum

Got heated seats too! They just emphasise how cold other bits are!

Webasto arrived today and looks great. Spoke to a guy at work today who seemed pretty confident that he or one fo teh younger members of his family would like to take the controls piece on as a funded project. Tried fitting the webasto in a space without removing any bracketry or pipework tonight and it was close enough to look promising - I'll remove some bits and pieces and try again at the weekend.

It has been quite cold here the last week or so, mind you.

Cheers,

Calum
Post #391118 21st Jan 2015 7:24pm
Kent_keith

Webasto for £150.00 you got that right? Very Happy 2005 TD5 90 CSW XS
Post #391124 21st Jan 2015 7:31pm
epictrail

Post #391128 21st Jan 2015 7:40pm
Kent_keith

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-heater-Web...3cea8a8417

There must be loads of bits to add to make it work?? 2005 TD5 90 CSW XS
Post #391131 21st Jan 2015 7:54pm
calum

Hi!

I had thought about that kit, and I may end up regretting the way I've gone, but...

I have ordered the 'bare' unit that Dan @ duckworth is selling on the disco3 forum. £150 delivered, all in.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic107259.html

It does not have a timer, or harness, or anything like that so yes, I am going to be buying a few parts. But it does have an air intake and silencer, exhaust, coolant pump and some bracketry.

I'm trying to get one of these home made controllers built for it:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic106191.html

and using wires and plugs like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171576412870

Which means I shouldn't need a 1533 timer, but if I do they're available from ebay.de for about £65 delivered
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291323257668
and I can add a £20 remote from maplin if I want one. I already have the 1533 and remote set up fitted to my wife's car.

I don't think the ebay kit includes a fuel pick up pipe, so would have had to buy one of those anyway. So with a few tees and bits of coolant hose, some fuel pipe, filter and clips hopefully somewhere around the £250-£300 mark in total.

Cheers

Calum

Edited to say: I thought it had a fuel pump built in but it may not...so that will be another few quid.
Post #391283 21st Jan 2015 11:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1