↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 12N towing electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Puma 12N towing electrics
Can someone be kind enough to tell me the correct part number for the 12N (ie normal trailer) socket kit to fit a 2007 Puma 110?

I think it may be YWJ101500 but searching for this sometimes shows it as 2007 on and other times also includes TD5 post 1999. My guess would be that it fits either provided the socket is present under the mud behind the OSR wheel.

Any recommendations as to the cheapest source for the proper item would also be appreciated.

Also, can anyone tell me what make/type the connector block itself is that is used for this? The LR part is a bit pricy and I wondered about making up my own lead, anyone know if or where these connectors can be obtained?

I have traced a faulty earth problem with my existing socket to the fact that whoever fitted it (the vehicle was pre-owned) attempted to splice the trailer socket connections into the vehicle harness adjacent to the proper connector and did a thoroughly bad job! This may be the same person who fitted a soft A-bar to the front and then found that the nuts holding the front bumper on were too difficult to refit, so just left them off!

Many thanks in anticipation!
Post #37571 3rd Aug 2010 9:39am
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Re: Puma 12N towing electrics
blackwolf wrote:
Can someone be kind enough to tell me the correct part number for the 12N (ie normal trailer) socket kit to fit a 2007 Puma 110?

I think it may be YWJ101500 but searching for this sometimes shows it as 2007 on and other times also includes TD5 post 1999. My guess would be that it fits either provided the socket is present under the mud behind the OSR wheel.

Any recommendations as to the cheapest source for the proper item would also be appreciated.

Also, can anyone tell me what make/type the connector block itself is that is used for this? The LR part is a bit pricy and I wondered about making up my own lead, anyone know if or where these connectors can be obtained?

I have traced a faulty earth problem with my existing socket to the fact that whoever fitted it (the vehicle was pre-owned) attempted to splice the trailer socket connections into the vehicle harness adjacent to the proper connector and did a thoroughly bad job! This may be the same person who fitted a soft A-bar to the front and then found that the nuts holding the front bumper on were too difficult to refit, so just left them off!

Many thanks in anticipation!

YWJ101500 is the correct part number for all Defenders from TD5 to date.

They're about £70 from a Dealer - http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YWJ101500

I've currently got one up on eBay for a lot less than that -

Defender 12N Towing Electrics Kit NEW GENUINE YWJ101500

As for the Trailer Pickup Connector in the Loom, it's a -

Sumitomo DL Sealed Series - 090/187(2.3/4.8mm) – HYBRID, 9-Way Female Housing, Part No. F(6195-0170)

It's mating half on YWJ101500 is a -

Sumitomo DL Sealed Series - 090/187(2.3/4.8mm) – HYBRID, 9-Way Male Housing, Part No. M(6195-0173)

(the gender of these connectors is determined by the gender of the terminals, not the connector shell)

The above parts are just the Connector Shells, you also require Male and Female terminals in two sizes (090 and 187), plus wire seals to suit.

Full list of numbers here -

Female - http://swsct.sws.co.jp/components/en/housi...1950170dls

Male - http://swsct.sws.co.jp/components/en/housi...1950173dls

Oh, I forgot to mention, Sumitomo will want you to buy several thousand of each part Shocked

Paul. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #37597 3rd Aug 2010 10:37pm
blackwolf

Paul,

Very many thanks for your extremely helpful and comprehensive reply. I am currently "watching" your kit on Fleabay and have every intention of placing a bid in due course (provided it hasn't rocketted in the meantime).

The info on the connectors is also appreciated. Knowing what the components are might make it possible for me to obtain a sensible quantity since I am work in a relevant industry and may be able to blag some "samples".

Thanks again!
Post #37609 4th Aug 2010 10:00am
PaulMc

If you're in a relevant industry, you could also try Molex, as they make a compatible Female Connector (vehicle loom side) -

Part No 35263-0915

Drawing - http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/352630915_sd.pdf

They only make the Female Connector Shell, TPA, Front Seal, Female 090 Terminals, and Wire Seals.

They also make a compatible Male 090 Terminal, but not the Male Connector Shell and neither the Male or Female 187 Terminals.

Here's a clickable thumb of the relevant page from a previous Molex Automotive Connectors Catalogue (35263-0915 isn't shown in the current Automotive Connectors Catalogue, but is still listed if you search the Part No. on the Molex website) -

Although he doesn't sell the 9-Way Hybrid Connector, Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver does sell some of the Sumitomo DL Sealed Series Connector range, as well as 090 Male and Female Terminals, Wire Seals and Plugs (for unused ways) to suit -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Pr.../smdl.html

He also sells other Sumitomo Connectors, as well as quite a few other very hard to come-by Automotive and Motorcycle Connectors -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Pr...ctors.html

Paul.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Paul.
Post #37625 4th Aug 2010 2:22pm
PaulMc

blackwolf wrote:
I am currently "watching" your kit on Fleabay and have every intention of placing a bid in due course (provided it hasn't rocketted in the meantime).

A bidder from Dorset has won the Kit, was that you?

. Paul.
Post #37783 9th Aug 2010 11:20am
blackwolf

PaulMc wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
I am currently "watching" your kit on Fleabay and have every intention of placing a bid in due course (provided it hasn't rocketted in the meantime).

Yup, it certainly was. A bargain, I think!
Post #37786 9th Aug 2010 12:38pm
PaulMc

blackwolf wrote:
PaulMc wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Yup, it certainly was. A bargain, I think!

I got back what I paid for it so I'm happy.

I posted it to you earlier today and sent you an eBay message with the tracking details.

. Paul.
Post #37795 9th Aug 2010 3:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1