Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Servicing
What is the better way to service a car out of warranty
Service it yourself
50%
 50%  [7]
Get an indi to do it
42%
 42%  [6]
Get a main dealer to do it - with discounts applied!!
7%
 7%  [1]
Total Votes: 14

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Servicing
I've been servicing my discovery for years.

But with the new cars we have always taken them to a dealer.

As we have decided to keep them now, mainly to stop wasting money on cars the option for me is do i service them along with the discovery or do we pay someone to do it - and if so who.

The advantage for me is I know whats been done and can take time to do it. The disadvantage i suppose is (unless i ask!) i dont get the book stamped, you could miss something, thats 4 cars to service, or ... etc Mike
Post #35946 10th Jul 2010 10:19am
shingwell

United Kingdom 
There's nothing to stop you stamping the book yourself if you have serviced it according to the manufacture's specification. There is an official LR "tick list" of things that must be done, including recording brake shoe thickness, tyre depth etc and I do all these fully. I do my own vehicle servicing and stamp my books with my name and phone number (you can get a suitable stamp from Staples or somewhere similar). There's nothing dodgy in doing this - you have serviced the vehicle properly and the service record is to show this has been done. I also keep all receipts for oil, filters, spares etc.

I have never had a problem selling cars on, although I have been phoned up subsequently by new owners asking if I would do their servicing for them!

Having said that I only do my own servicing after the manufacturer's warrranty period is up (3 years for a Puma), just to make sure they don't have an excuse not to fix things.
Post #35951 10th Jul 2010 12:00pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
shingwell wrote:
There's nothing to stop you stamping the book yourself if you have serviced it according to the manufacture's specification. There is an official LR "tick list" of things that must be done, including recording brake shoe thickness, tyre depth etc and I do all these fully. I do my own vehicle servicing and stamp my books with my name and phone number (you can get a suitable stamp from Staples or somewhere similar). There's nothing dodgy in doing this - you have serviced the vehicle properly and the service record is to show this has been done. I also keep all receipts for oil, filters, spares etc.

I have never had a problem selling cars on, although I have been phoned up subsequently by new owners asking if I would do their servicing for them!

Having said that I only do my own servicing after the manufacturer's warrranty period is up (3 years for a Puma), just to make sure they don't have an excuse not to fix things.

Im lucky i have a friend that owns an independant so he stamps it Whistle - Im talking when these go out of warranty anyway - as like you any excuse sometimes is all they need. Mike
Post #35953 10th Jul 2010 12:07pm
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
I think I am starting to agree with you.

Having had a look at both a D3 and Defender service schedule, most of it is very do-able. A service in a garage appears to be changing engine oil, fuel filter, air filter and (pollen filter) and a whole load of safety stuff. A lot of the safety stuff is duplicated on the MOT and if you are aware of your car shouldn't be a problem.

In addition, I have in the past had numerous concerns about what garages actually do or don't do!! How many times has a car returned from a service with something wrong?

I am keeping all the documentation on my Defender and a list of what was done and when, so shouldn't be a problem to sell. I have also sold several cars over the years, mostly privately and one to a dealer - only 1 person ever asked to see a service history Rolling with laughter

So that shouldn't be a problem Laughing Laughing

Steve Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #36172 13th Jul 2010 7:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
I was kinda hoping mine wouldn't reach 24,000 before the warranty ran out (October) but it duly clocked it up at the weekend.

So it's off to an independant to be done this week, with LR parts and according to the LR schedule but about half the labour cost. So the warranty will be OK for the remaining three months. after that i would have no worries doing it myself.

After my less than enjoyable experience with the local main stealer over warranty issues last month, there was no way they were getting my money. Hopefully all the warranty related issues were sorted then Rolling Eyes MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #36559 19th Jul 2010 1:37pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've only had one service on mine - the 12K/1-year service, and an indie carried it out.

I took it to the place where I purchased it from, and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. Not only did they give me a hard time about scheduling the service and using a loaner car, but when they repaired a rear-diff leak they botched something up (introducing a brand new "clunk" in the process) and then told me that everything is normal.

When my next service comes around I might take it to the dealer around the corner from me who carried out the recent repairs; they did a good job and the customer service was excellent... that is, unless I can find another recommended indie near Oxford.
Post #36568 19th Jul 2010 3:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1