↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Accessory switches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Accessory switches
Well having spent the morning wiring in three switches to fill the blanks in the dash to run the strobes lights and light bar I have fitted, I'm hoping I haven't got it wrong.

I was intending to buy some front and rear fog light switches and followed wiring advice I found on here, using the correct connectors (Tyco from Dingocroft) but I have struck a problem.

After getting it all sorted but not yet bought any switches (it's less than half a mile to British Parts, so no problem there) I decided to pop out my rear fog light switch to try.

Yes everything works OK but of course it only works while you are pressing the switch Rolling Eyes

I had assumed it would work like the fog light does.. press once for on, press again for off but now realise the small rear fog ECU under the seat does that bit.

So can I fit any other (latching) switch to those connectors? Or will I need a different connector? MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #35758 7th Jul 2010 12:35pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
try the L/R driving lamp switch, thats the latching type 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #35766 7th Jul 2010 1:00pm
Mad Cow

Thanks Grockle, I wondered if that was the case (good news as they use the same connector), so that's a trip down the road for three of part no YUG000540LNF) Mr. Green MAD COW

Project90
Post #35768 7th Jul 2010 1:05pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Top tip...

On them type of switches it is only a plastic keyway not the orientation of the pins that is different. Instead of replacing the wiring connector, with a sharp blade you can carefully remove the keyway locator and the connector will fit any switch thereafter.

Wiring up, orientation and indeed pictures of the switch can be found on this thread:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic552.ht...p;start=15

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #35769 7th Jul 2010 1:15pm
Mad Cow

Thanks for the advice, I did find similar information on www.reedx.net but in the end it wasn't necessary as I went for the driving light switches, same connector and wiring pattern.

Left and right switches slotted in fine, the centre one needed the tab cutting off with Stanley the Knife, all finished and looking very smart methinks.

Left hand switch does the front strobes, right hand the rear and the centre one powers up a 12v socket in the rear speaker housing. This is usually used for my light bar but can be used for anything I like. All powered up through relays fitted under the drivers seat and wired through an additional fuse box.

And before anyone asks, I don't have air con or heated seats so all three switch positions were originally filled with blanks.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MAD COW

Project90
Post #35800 7th Jul 2010 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1