↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Thank god for the warranty???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Thank god for the warranty???
Took my Defender in to my local dealer, Lancasters in Welwyn Garden City today after the engine management light came on the other week. Of course the light went out the moment I left the dealers Rolling Eyes

However took it in to be checked anyway and asked them to look at a couple of other things - excessive backlash on taking up drive and the gearbox getting difficult to engage first and third.

Just got the call back with the bad news:

light came on due to faulty EGR (no they don't have one in stock).

Transmission problems require the gearbox to come out as they suspect a clutch problem.

And I have a major oil leak (not sure where from at the moment).

So no I can't drive the motor but they haven't been able to start on the work as I need to prove the service record and they haven't got a courtesy car available for two weeks!!!

This is because I bought it from Lakeland Land Rover in Cumbria and it's the first time Lancasters have seen it. Funnily enough their computer can show the previous warranty work (both engine management light "issues") but can't tell if it's been serviced Mad

So currently stuck at work waiting for the Mrs to pick me up Big Cry

The oil leak must have only started in the last three weeks as that's when I bought a new bike trailer which now sits were the 90 used to and that part of the drive is oil free. I now park where my 19 year old 90 used to sit so needless to say the new oil leak didn't show up due to all the old oil stains. I did think one of them looked a bit fresher on monday having moved the car for the first time after a week in Scotland (without the 90) but certainly didn't look all that "major".

Looks like I'm on the motorbike tomorrow, hope the rain holds off! MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90

Last edited by Mad Cow on 11th Jun 2010 12:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #34047 9th Jun 2010 4:10pm
Mad Cow

Just phoned Land Rover customer service as I'm a bit p*ssed off about this to ask why it is if I had called Land Rover Assistance when the light came on I would have got a hire car but because I booked it in myself I can't get one?

At first they agreed with me and contacted the dealer on my behalf but then came back and said I wasn't entitled to a hire car because I hadn't asked for a courtesy car when I booked it in.

I very patiently (surprised myself there) explained that had I done so I would have had to wait at least another week for it too be looked at. In fact they never even asked if I wanted one, I had to ask that myself, so yes I did ask about one!!!

They then said the problem was that I had never used them before so they had no records!

I then pointed out that actually I have bought three vehicles from them over the last nine years and had others out of the nine I have owned serviced by them. But of course the dealership is on it's third set of owners, only having become Lancasters recently.

So I'm still stuck here waiting for a lift home.

Beginning to wish I had gone and picked it up, driven 300 yards down the road, which is about the distance to the local Enterprise car rental office (I assume they still use them) and then phoned Land Rover Assistance Rolling Eyes MAD COW

Project90
Post #34054 9th Jun 2010 4:41pm
Mad Cow

Well so much for the warranty!

The dealers are refusing to do the work as they claim the service record is incomplete.

I bought the vehicle at two years old and the 12,000 mile service was done for me at that time, it has yet to reach 24,000 miles and the next service.

However as it was bought under the Land Rover Approved scheme so I expect the warranty to be honoured as I have not failed to do anything.

I have this morning received the most appalling treatment from Lancasters in Welwyn Garden City, they won't do the work and won't let me have the vehicle as it's "undrivable" Mad

When I pointed out it was a Land Rover approved vehicle, the service manager at Lancasters words were "So? we're not bloody Land Rover" to say I was gob smacked is an understatment

Needless to say Land Rover Customer Services are now on speed dial and are "on the case" Rolling Eyes

One thing is certain, it isn't going there for it's 24,000 mile service! MAD COW

Project90
Post #34100 10th Jun 2010 8:54am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Is the book not stamped?

I had a similar thing regarding the courtesy car when stuck in inverness, same deal vac pump broke at dealers booked in there and then etc - it ended up the LR car people just "did it" really nice girl - that took 2 days though Shocked Shocked

Where is the leak from, i noticed an oil patch on the drive where the 90 goes, but wasnt sure if its from the 90 etc as ive not noticed it.

I feel for you Mike
Post #34155 10th Jun 2010 5:53pm
Mad Cow

All progressing now. It appears the original service book went missing so Lakeland stamped up a new one for me but of course missed the fact that it had a service at one year old (in accordance with the schedule) even though it had only done 5800 miles.

When I spoke to Lakelands service manager, as soon as I said the registration number he immediately knew the vehicle, who the previous owner was and remembered it had come in for a service in September 2008.

They have forwarded the proof to Lancasters and have asked me to return my service book so they can issue a correct one.

I think Lancasters must have had an earful from Land Rover Customer Services (and rightly so) as they were the very model of politeness this morning and trying to sort me out a courtesy car ASAP.

All I can say is Lakeland have bent over backwards to help, which is the exact opposite of Lancasters. No prizes for guessing which one is the small independently owned dealership and which one is owned by the large PLC Rolling Eyes

Thinking of booking a short break in the Lake District when the 24,000 mile service is due Wink MAD COW

Project90
Post #34197 11th Jun 2010 12:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Glad its getting there

I have to say Guy Salmon seem to get the balance between big company and small indep. service

They arent perfect - but who is!! Mike
Post #34233 11th Jun 2010 5:28pm
merebrowpaul

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
Glad your getting sorted, mine is due for its first service next month, taking it back to JE in Brock where i bought it from to try and avoid such problems BETTER TO REGRET THE THINGS YOU'VE DONE THAN REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVE'NT
Post #34236 11th Jun 2010 5:50pm
Mad Cow

Well two weeks later and hopefully it should be back with me.

The Defender now has a new clutch, what I think they said was a "new output shaft on the gearbox" (it wasn't a good connection)? and the "major oil leak" turned out to be a loose sump plug which had it gone unchecked could have been catastrophic Shocked

And a new EGR valve which was what caused the original problem.

However when they road tested it it was down on power, so they attempted to upload the latest map to the ECU but it wouldn't accept it.

It has taken another four days to get to the bottom of that one but it is finally done.

So all being well I can pick it up this afternoon.

And a courtesy car? that never materialised so no they are still not my favourites dealer Rolling Eyes MAD COW

Project90
Post #34834 22nd Jun 2010 9:17am
Mad Cow

Well I've had it back a week and a half now and all seems good.

Gear change much better, more mid range power and much smoother too.

When I picked it up I thought that at least it will have been valeted, no such luck it was actually dirtier than when I took it in being covered in bird Censored Rolling Eyes

I got a grudging apology that went along the lines of "sorry they didn't get off on the right foot" I left them in no doubt of my feelings and explained that they managed to remain on the wrong foot for a whole two weeks.

Never did get a courtesy car despite all the promises. LR Customer Services suggested that if I get any other problems, not to book it in but just call LR Assistance, get it picked up and my hire car delivered to me. Shame to see they too have such little faith in their dealers.

Soon be due for its 24,000 mile service, guess where it's not going MAD COW

Project90
Post #35588 4th Jul 2010 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1