↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Removing battery - need to resync fob?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Riyo

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Removing battery - need to resync fob?
Hi,
Im going to be installing a dual battery system with a blue sea split charge system, my 2012 puma 2.2 has a battery backed up alarm sounder. When i disconnect the battery to change the cables over to the new batteries. According to the manual i need to remove the negative terminal within 15secs of turning the key ignition on and off, but the manual states that you need to resync the fob after removing the battery with your cars EKA (emergency access key code). DOne by manually turning the key in the door lock a number of times.

I called the dealer and after 2weeks waiting for an answer he said that my car doesnt have a EKA as its a newer model and that i need to see a garage for them to do it....im not entirely convinced my dealer knows for sure.

Any advice? i want to avoid fitting my shiny new batteries to end up with a car i cannot lock/unlock or the alarm constantly going off.
Post #346755 21st Jul 2014 6:13pm
munch90

England 
what fob you got , the black square ish one with 2 rubber buttons ?

normally reconnect battery then push fob button few times (maybe 5 or 6 ) until it works and job done

you don't need to take it to garage as you would have to just for flat battery or just fitting new battery

im pretty sure you should get a eka code other wise you stuck if fob packs up , but eka code is not for resycning fobs anyway

and eka code is done on the ign switch not on the door
Post #346756 21st Jul 2014 6:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
All vehicles fitted with a Lucas 10AS unit have an EKA code. For some reason many dealers appear to be clueless and deny this for recent models (maybe because a note of what it is is no longer sent to the dealer with the vehicle).

It takes a few seconds with a compatible diagnostic system to read the code, which is actually one of the infamous security vulnerabilities of the Defender.

You shouldn't however need the code to change the vehicle battery.
Post #346761 21st Jul 2014 6:41pm
Riyo

yep its the black square one with 2 buttons,

ok thats good to know the fob will resync by just pressing a few times.

I was confused because the manual states
"the effect of disconnecting the battery can cause the vehicle systems to reset automatically and the key fob needs to be resynchronised as per key fob battery replacement procedure"

In this battery fob replacement procedure it says that the battery must be changed within 5 minutes or the EKA needs to be entered to resynchronise with the fob.

I did find in the service hanbook 2 numbers though - Key Number X99999 and Emergency Key Access Code XXX999999

X-character, 9-Number

Doesnt really equate to the proper EKA format...ive read some of the other posts on here regarding EKA and it seems to be a very ambiguous topic
Post #346763 21st Jul 2014 6:46pm
munch90

England 
In this battery fob replacement procedure it says that the battery must be changed within 5 minutes or the EKA needs to be entered to resynchronise with the fob.

ive never heard of this , maybe a new thing !

eka is normally 4 numbers , maybe another new thing !
Post #346764 21st Jul 2014 6:53pm
munch90

England 
blackwolf wrote:
All vehicles fitted with a Lucas 10AS unit have an EKA code. For some reason many dealers appear to be clueless and deny this for recent models (maybe because a note of what it is is no longer sent to the dealer with the vehicle).

It takes a few seconds with a compatible diagnostic system to read the code, which is actually one of the infamous security vulnerabilities of the Defender.

You shouldn't however need the code to change the vehicle battery.

yep that's what I thought
Post #346766 21st Jul 2014 6:55pm
Riyo

maybe it means the fob battery cannot be out for more than 5 minutes or you need the EKA... but the landy battery can be out for however long.
Post #346773 21st Jul 2014 7:07pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
No problem with changing fob batteries either.....one of my fobs has been through the washing machine, stopped working been dried out, still not working, new battery and happy days all well again. This was a while ago but no entering of the code was required nor a trip to a dealer.
Post #347153 23rd Jul 2014 8:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1