↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Fuel line/tank leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jimbob7

Fuel line/tank leak
Noticed a damp patch on the bottom of my fuel tank, a mirror and a torch reveal one of the fuel lines from the fuel pump is wet.Gonna drop the tank tomorrow for a looksy,are the fuel lines/connections prone to leaks,are the fuel lines easy/cheap enough to replace,or can they be repaired?Any advice/input appreciated!
Cheers. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #343251 6th Jul 2014 8:11pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Instead of dropping the tank you could allways cut yourself an inspection hatch,

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic28189.html

I found that the connection snap fits were slightly different between the original pump and the Bearmach replacement and didn't quite match. I couldn't find a way of taking them off without destroying them from the pipes, disconnecting them from the pump head was simple, it was swopping the connectors to fit the new pump that caused me the problem.
Post #343273 6th Jul 2014 9:40pm
jimbob7

R.e inspection hatch;I had a quick go at undoing the 4 nuts and bolts holding the tank in and they seem to turn quite easily,so I'm hoping while the tank is down I can clean and treat the (rest of the) chassis,(well, thats plan A).
Cheers bud Thumbs Up ! Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #343282 6th Jul 2014 9:58pm
JWL

No worries, I didn't want to contemplate taking off all the tow bracketry, not have to worry on the weight of having more than a drop of diesel in there, the amount of detritus from 12 years of roads and non roads use plus I'm getting too old to being flat on my back on the drive if I can help it Whistle
Post #343285 6th Jul 2014 10:11pm
jimbob7

As luck would have it my fuel lights on so not anticipating a heavy tank.FYI,my chassis bolts (tow bar) snapped like carrots when I removed them a while back Shocked . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #343297 6th Jul 2014 10:42pm
JWL

Better like that than whilst trundling on the road with a full trailer on. It never ceases to amaze me with mine that there have been very few fixings that have been problomatic when it has come to applying the spanners. I must be one of the lucky ones or there happened to be some conscientious workers on the line in January 2002!
Post #343302 6th Jul 2014 11:00pm
jimbob7

Tank dropped,the nuts and bolts put up little resistance,bit of maneuvering with a bottle jack and some timber and the tank is off.NOT looking forward to puttin it back.

The fuel return pipe from the FRONT of the filter back to the pump is wet, so have to assume its that one,also the grey rubber sleeve* is loose and peels back,£70 inc.vat :shock:Or £60 fer unknown origin from Br*tpart.
The 2 pipes from the filter back to the pump that are joined together,they cost £150,thanks Landrover for not using simple jubilee clips Thumbs Up .

*There were recalls with previous td5 Discos where the black plastic fuel lines were rubbing thru,I assume LR's answer was to fit them with rubber sleeves.

Click image to enlarge
 Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #343487 7th Jul 2014 4:08pm
jimbob7

Job done,would be a doddle with 2 people, bit of a hassle puttin the (still heavy) tank back on yer own.No obvious sign of damage to the pipe other than the outer sleeve is loose at the connection where as all the others are a tight fit. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #344243 10th Jul 2014 1:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1