↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > ECU upgrade causing new noise - anybody else experienced it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ECU upgrade causing new noise - anybody else experienced it?
Hi Guys,

Had my XS in for it's 12 month service & ECU upgrade yesterday. Now as the revs increase above idle there is a grating/rubbing/rusty spring noise. It only happens just above idle, either accelerating or declerating. It is most noticable stationary in the garage.

Anybody else had similar? Is this a new 'standard' noice after the latest ECU flash?

Went back to the stealer today. they tried to fob me off with 'we don't know what it is, see if it gets worse., it's not dangerouse, goodbye" !!! Even the lady sittning next to me commented!

Needless to say the service manager is now well aware of my feelings, even more so after he also tried to fob me off.

Before war commences, would like any feedback you guys may have on this noise.

Cheers all.
Post #34199 11th Jun 2010 1:30pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Hi is this noise coming from the engine or your gear box the reason i ask i've got a simler noise coming from my transfer box Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #34202 11th Jun 2010 1:35pm
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
could be near the gearbox as the sound is barely audiable under the bonnet and most loud in the drivers seat.

I'm wondering if it is connected with the 'scratchy scratchy scratchy' noise heard when turning off the engine, and the new ecu flash is now also operating this valve when the engine goes above idle, thus creating the noise.

If LR say what it is & why, I can live with the annoying noise, but not knowing if it is meant to do it or the noise is caused by a faulty part is a problem.
Post #34208 11th Jun 2010 1:49pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Mine only happens when letting of the throttle at 70+ Strange...I'm in on monday for head mechanic to test drive i'll keep you posted Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #34218 11th Jun 2010 3:05pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
niglyn wrote:
could be near the gearbox as the sound is barely audiable under the bonnet and most loud in the drivers seat.

I'm wondering if it is connected with the 'scratchy scratchy scratchy' noise heard when turning off the engine, and the new ecu flash is now also operating this valve when the engine goes above idle, thus creating the noise.

If LR say what it is & why, I can live with the annoying noise, but not knowing if it is meant to do it or the noise is caused by a faulty part is a problem.

That scratchy scratchy noose is the EGR valve self-cleaning (it does five cycles). One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #34259 11th Jun 2010 10:47pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I've just had my second service done and they updated the ECU at the same time. Now, every time i drive past a wall or go through my local village everybody turns to see what's coming because of the crappy noise it makes when going slow. It's bloody awful. I've had no problems with the engine until now and hope it goes away when i reinstall my BAS tune. I'll do that when they've fitted a new steering box on Monday. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #34266 12th Jun 2010 1:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1