↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 200tdi upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
william127

200tdi upgrades
I have a 200tdi discovery engine in my defender and i would like a bit more power. I am thinking of things like an oversized but standard mount intercooler, silicone hoses, etc, what do people have and recomend? What problems am i likley to have fitting things with the disco engine being in a defender?
Another thing i have seen in a magazine is someone fitted the manifold and turbo from a 300 onto a 200 block, has anybody done this? Aparently it gives you more room, and would also allow me to fit the same griffen 3 inch exhaust my mate has on his 300tdi 90, which sounds amazing, and would give me the option of a hybrid turbo in the future.

Thanks, william.
Post #336068 5th Jun 2014 10:46pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
How many miles does the engine have?

If its had a hard life and is quite oily or smokey then tuning can kill a high mileage engine. Just look on ebay for how many 200's are for sale with "tweaked pump and turbo, Needs new head"

I have a factory fit 200Tdi and the only modification I have done is black silicone hoses and that because my old ones were completely saturated with oil. Difference? Barely noticeable, however I am averaging 33mpg and regularly hit 36mpg so its not all bad.

Might be best to start small and just give it a damn good service, give it some oil conditioner and run it for a few weeks. After that maybe look at a drop in double thickness intercooler?

This guy did it and he seems happy with the results =

Just remember it is a big, low revving, torque bias engine so any tuning upgrade you do is like giving running shoes to a weight lifter, it will do it, but it wont be too happy.

Mabie get in contact with BAS and ask them what they would recommend based on your usage?
Post #336081 5th Jun 2014 11:29pm
steveyorks

England 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
For the money they cost I wouldnt bother buying a bigger intercooler. I have done it a couple of times and always leaves me a little disappointed. The biggest difference is the free one with a small tweak of the pump. it just eliminates that flat spot when pulling away, especially with a cold engine. Obvious thing is that you dont want it smoking, it only makes it look ill.
Post #338805 17th Jun 2014 7:56pm
william127

Thanks for the advice, i will be going to billing soon and i think i will have a good walk round the club stands and talk to people who have 200s, see what works for them. I will start with the full service, the engine is in good nick, it had the head off and the valves reseated about 10k ago, the pistons checked and measursd and various seals changed. Thumbs Up
Post #339005 18th Jun 2014 6:47pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Clean the existing intercooler with parafin. It makes a huge difference on an older engine. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #339117 19th Jun 2014 7:30am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I fitted an ALI Sports full size inter cooler onto a 200 tdi and silicone pipes and I noticed a huge difference, especially when pulling uphill.
Post #339167 19th Jun 2014 12:55pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Have a look here
Tuning Land Rover Tdi engines article with pictures diagrams and more information than you could possibility need

http://www.l4ndrover.co.uk/_downloads/Tuni..._Rev_2.pdf
Post #339185 19th Jun 2014 1:37pm
william127

Thats a great link, thanks, and its downloaded so i will be able to use it where the truck actually is! Laughing

I cleaned out the intercooler about 10k miles ago, thanks.
Post #339215 19th Jun 2014 4:25pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Go carefull with large diamiter exhausts, some back pressureis needed and used by the turbo to maintain a ballance pressure between the exhaust side and compressor side which keeps the oil in the barings and stops it from blowing out either from the compressor side or exhaust side..

Pete
Post #339217 19th Jun 2014 4:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1