↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Fitting speakers into a 300TDI soft top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Boyd

France 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Fitting speakers into a 300TDI soft top
Ok, you may have to bare with me as I could be being slightly special..

When I bought my 90 Soft-top there was a stereo fitted but when I turn it on there is no sound. From what I have deduced the stereo fitted was prior to it being converted to a soft-top as there are two neatly rolled and zip tied bundles of speaker wire at either end of the dash attached to nothing.

So from memory and my searching the normal places for speakers are either end of the dash lower, back of the headlining above the rear door and some time later speaker mounts where introduced in the rear of the tub either side of the door. That correct? So it would have been likely that the wire I have in place is for a pair of original speaker in the rear of the hard top?

Well, what ever it was I would like to introduce some music back into my 90 and seemingly the easiest option / step 1 would be lower dash speakers. But there doesn't appear to be any existing mounts, please tell me I don't need to swap the lower dash to a speaker variant? Can I just cut holes in the trim? What is there behind? Would people recommend the pioneer 4" defender upgrade kit sold on eBay that comes with the spacers or is there a recommended 4" that can mount flush, look OEM and still give reasonable sound?

My next thinking is I would be keen to install some rear speakers too (step 2) and as it's a soft top above the rear door is out of the question so.... do rear trim pieces exist for the rear of my 300TDI tub that I can mount speakers in or is it possible to mod/fit the later TD5/TDci rear trim sections with the speaker mounts in it? And if anyone has got that to work has anyone tried fitting them round a NAS 'cage to chassis' as the bottom of the rear legs very nicely cut across / through where I would think a speaker would go.

Lastly although not wanting to 'pimp' my ride, I do like good quality sound (as much as can be expected from a rag top) and have seen a number of threads discussing active subs and mounting them in, under or on the rear of the cubby box. Is there a recommended one that that would fit nicely on the rear of the cubby box and would look discreet? Whistle

Any help, pointers or thoughts most appreciated.

Thanks..... 2003 Zambezi Silver TD5 110 XS SW overland prepped....
2004 Santorini Black TD5 110 XS SW left hooker for sale!
2004 Alpine White TD5 110 left hooker (work in progress)
Post #337769 12th Jun 2014 5:20pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Assuming you have a similar cage to me, then I have used the Puma rear speaker carriers in mine.

I hope it's still the case, but the CSW parts are cheap (~£9 a side) but require cutting of the bottom edge to fit a non Puma CSW.

ERQ500120PMA and ERQ500130PMA

The other parts are more like £45 each.

For the fronts, mine are currently fitted to home made MDF carriers and screwed to the corners of the bulkhead behind the front seats (most of the bulkhead is cut away in mine). I've got the bits (bezels - AMR3840) to fit them in the "proper" place in the bottom of the dash. This will require cutting the speaker holes in the dash though.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #337784 12th Jun 2014 5:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Boyd

Ah excellent thank you!

Mike 2003 Zambezi Silver TD5 110 XS SW overland prepped....
Post #337809 12th Jun 2014 8:22pm
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
What ive done is made my speakers portable so i can take them out or play them outside the landy at BBQs.
I had an old PELI case which i mounted my speakers into and added a 4 way Speakon connector plug. setup is Left 3 way and right as a Sub.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #337823 12th Jun 2014 9:31pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
lol, ingenious Mr. Green
Post #337879 13th Jun 2014 10:31am
Boyd

^ what he said Thumbs Up

I myself have gone for the slightly more OE approach and followed martin's notes.

Now trying to decide whether there is any point in me getting a headunit with hands free as I doubt even the best of systems could deal with the background noise in a NAS 90 with the sides up! Laughing 2003 Zambezi Silver TD5 110 XS SW overland prepped....
Post #337885 13th Jun 2014 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1