↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Moving seats away from doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ian4002000

Australia 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Coniston Green
Moving seats away from doors
Has anyone moved their defender seats away from the doors to give more elbow room ? Are there kits available ?
Post #337688 12th Jun 2014 10:54am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yes I have, I didn't use a kit. I had allready "lifted" my seat by cutting some 19mm box to length, then drilled it to fit where the existing seat mounts are on the seat box and added new holes on the upper side to bolt the seat rails appoximatly 40mm further back. Then a brainwave hit and I welded some tabs onto the box section so that the seat rails could be bolted around 40mm towards the centre of the cab.
The difference is that with the seat being further back your shoulder is right up against the door pillar and with shifting across you are left with a bit more room and comfort. The only problem I came across was that the seatbelt receiver was in the way, I took it out and rebolted it back together turned around so the "L" shaped bracket it uses moves it away from the seat a little more. I have only done the drivers side, I'm sure that if you do both seats you could just swop over the receivers as just turning them round puts the red button on the inside of the seat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #337702 12th Jun 2014 11:53am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
a drill and four holes? Mr. Green

Seriously though, i think the driving position would be worse, and you would have to move the hand brake otherwise it would be even more in the way Shocked

Im fitting some series doors to mine which dont have the window mechanism so your legs can sit inside the door cavity. (its not the reason im doing it, just hopefully a byproduct!)
Post #337703 12th Jun 2014 11:54am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yes the seating position is different to what you're used to, untill you move something then it's standard Whistle
When you first get in it does seem strange, the odd people who've jumped in to move mine whatever have all got out knowing something is different but can't quite understand what, but all agree that there is more room for the shoulders. Yes the steering wheel is slightly off centre to your driving position, that is something else that soon feels "normal". The pedals, you don't notice but as you do point out the handbrake is even more in the way. By pushing the seat across it eats into the space in which you can do the Range Rover handbrake mod, for now I have added a few washers on one side of the attachment point to the seat box which has tilted the handbrake assembly towards the transmission tunnel which does give a little more room. I've got a few ideas on relocating the hand brake, perhaps use a handbrake lever that used to be in a Peugeot 504 pickup with the bench seat, it used to be next to the door between the sill and the seat, looked like a convetional handbrake but the handle would lift and ratchet but when the brake was on the handle would then rest as if it was in a released position so you didn't get a little jolly when you got in or out. I'm also thinking of an over centre type one found on forklifts and other machinery as when it is off the handle is in a dropped down position, I'm just unsure as to wether you are required to have a ratchet type for MoT purposes.
Post #337711 12th Jun 2014 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1