↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > replacement calipers - stainless pistons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
replacement calipers - stainless pistons
I replaced the front discs with std vented AP units this weekend and fitted Greenstuff pads, brakes are now spot on but the pistons are really corroded.

I can get new complete AP units for about Ģ100, but I assume these will have plated pistons again and as the originals have only lasted 6 years, does anybody make a new caliper with stainless steel pistons? Or do I buy new calipers and fit stainless pistons to these or rebuild my present ones??

Cheers Keith
Post #335019 1st Jun 2014 5:56pm
jimbob7

I bought new last year from Brookwells (Ģ89(ish)) coz of the same thing,only I plan to clean and re-grease the pistons every 12 months ( silicon grease NOT copper grease),with simple,basic maintenance they should last a lot longer the 6 years, fyi,mine were done after 7 Mad . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #335071 1st Jun 2014 8:05pm
munch90

England 
I would not bother with std pistons , even if I got new calipers I would change pistons to stainless

I don't know of any calipers you can buy with stainless already fitted

so it does work out quite a lot more expense , but chrome plating seems so crap on the pistons these days

there are some on the bay that are stainless and made in England

not britpart or Chinese

I just changed mine to stainless
Post #335097 1st Jun 2014 8:48pm
landybehr

I think / hope the pistons have changed in the s/s alloy and quality - as I havenīt come across opposite position for the last time.

It must have been 10 years ago that I experimented with s/s pistons. Were bough from Z..s those days.
I wasnīt happy with them. After not much more than 2 years I had to overhaul the callipers again. They were weeping and the area around the dust seal was corroded - worse than much older callipers (showed them to a friend with a garage, he hasnīt seen that degree of rust on any DEfender before). I concluded that the s/s used was too soft and didnīt rust but suffered from scratches which allowes brake fluid to pass. Think electroly. corrosion shouldnīt be an issue between steel and stainless steel (?).

Would be glad to hear that my experience was an exception.
Until then I currently regard the callipers as wearing parts and give the relatively low costs of new items renew them at least every 5 years - dependend on how pistons look and move or if they are sticky.
Post #336064 5th Jun 2014 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1