↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > End of month = end if warrenty. What to check?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Everything.
Post #330136 11th May 2014 7:38am
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
After a thorough checkup this is what I found:

Bottom cornors front windscreen, bulkhead is starting to bubble. Not major but it's there.
Rubber driving side door loosens when warmer weather.
Crossbeam is loosing some paint.
Balljoint trailermount is rusting.
Driver side front spotlight (SVX) has had water and is rusting a bit.
Driverside mudflaps front and back severely rusting (other side are fine Question ).
I had an electrical problem a few months ago, now I found the repair, I'm not really happy with it: naked wire with no protection.

While I was under there I noticed a few wires were crossing metal edges which I now wrapped with some black rigid gardenhose and fixed with strips so the rubbing is on the hose and not the wire surround. Should safeguard it somewhat better.
I was also suprised of the amount of thin wires that are exposed to the elements. Shocked Compared to that, I'm not supprised with how they solved my electrical problem before. Rolling Eyes

The minimum I would like to get done under warranty is the rubber and spotlight. I would be very very happy if the'd do the bulkhead and over the moon if they do it all.

As I'm going to build my own mudflap brackets and the balljoint and crossbeam are issues that will just reappear anyway, I wont be dissappointed if they don't accept those.

Then off course I need the death wobble sorted as well.
Post #330203 11th May 2014 12:21pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
zone30, don't let the dealer get off all too easily. Get everything properly on record now, before the truck goes in for end of warranty inspection. Send your dealer at least an e-mail, eventually a letter by registered mail, including all the faults which you have found and consider need to be repaired under warranty. Important to have time stamped records for eventual later disputes.... Now, your points 1 by 1:

1. Bottom cornors front windscreen, bulkhead is starting to bubble. Not major but it's there.
--> Definitely a warranty issue, take pictures and add them to your e-mail to them. I would not take no for an answser, and you always can take the matter up to LR Belgium for starters, again, make sure you have all this properly on record.
2. Rubber driving side door loosens when warmer weather.
-->If you can show this to them, it should be replaced under warranty.
3. Crossbeam is loosing some paint.
--> I presume you mean the rear cross member? If this is not a consequence from severe off-roading, but normal driving, they shoud repair it under warranty. The normal way of repairing would be that they would have their body shop clean the cross member, and give it one or more protective satin finish black paint coats.
4.Balljoint trailermount is rusting.
--> Don't think you will get anywhere with this. Clean the rust of and grease the ball yourself.
5. Driver side front spotlight (SVX) has had water and is rusting a bit.
--> So you have a SVX front, yes? Well, then this is definitely a under warranty replacement. Again, take pictures now, and add them to your mail to them.
6. Driverside mudflaps front and back severely rusting.
--> Unless your off-roading has caused this damage it would be a warranty repair (replacement).
7. I had an electrical problem a few months ago, now I found the repair, I'm not really happy with it: naked wire with no protection.
--> Not sure what you mean here, did the dealer repair something with naked electric cables? If so, and if it would be justified that the cables would be inside a cable protection sleeve, ask them to do this.

I hammer on it, even if you have a good dealer, it remains important that you document everything very well. You can easily do that by e-mails which leave records.

One more thing for you to check (something I had forgotten at the pre-warranty expiration inspection... You have a tow pack, so if this is the original LR towpack, check if the 12N plug is corrosion free at the inside. Both the dealer and myself had forgotten about that, and only a few months after warranty expired I for the first time in the SVX life tried to tow a trailer, and found out that the never used 12N plug was all corroded inside from 3 years moisture ingress. In my case the dealer still replaced this without discussion by a new one at their cost, and now I regulary will spray the inside with WD40.

Hope you get on well. Thumbs Up
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #330213 11th May 2014 1:28pm
zone30

Thx, I will do that.

Concerning the towing electrics, I moved it into the cross menber myself and renewed it so it's ok.
Post #330215 11th May 2014 1:48pm
zone30

First feedback from dealer:

Pictures are taken by dealer of windscreem bubbles an rear cross member so good chance they will do that.
Doorrubber will be replaced.
Trailer hitch may be a problem as it's not an original but they will try.
Spotlight will be reolaced.
Mudflaps will be replaced.
Wire is wrapped now (will check).
Death wobble needs new panhard rod, it is ordered and on warranty.
EGR will be replaced (I complained about the noise).

So at the moment I'm very happy.
Post #330526 12th May 2014 2:30pm
ericvv

Post #330535 12th May 2014 3:19pm
zone30

Bought a FL2 there as well. Went to 3 dealers, this one was the only one that talked to me about the car. I went there a few times over a period of a year before I bought one. Not once did he talk about a purchase. In the end I had to ask him to sell me one Laughing Really!

They do sometimes "cut corners" in the garage, like I guess most try to get away with, but they know I'd know and will be back for it. Second time arround they usually do the job wright. Only on non vital stuff though.

I also once had a windscreen replaced and found a nick in the leather of the steering wheel. They replaced without discussion.

I found if you work with your dealer instead of seeing them as the enemy, when the time comes they seem to step up and do wright by you.

If you attack, they will defend. If you ask instead of tell, they will want to help you. It's in most of us to wanna help. Just lay the groundwork for them to wanna help.

Just let issues be issues and not "their fault".

Or maybe I'm just lucky that way Razz
Post #330551 12th May 2014 4:21pm
chris bb

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
chris bb wrote:
I bought a 4 year old Defender which (allegedly) came with a LR 1 year warranty. It's up for service now, if I take it to a different LR main dealer will the warranty apply for any faults they find?

Answer to own question. Phoned the local dealer who looked it up on their computer, yes, they'll do the service and honour the warranty for anything that's needed.

Apparently they will offer an extended warranty for £925 p.a. which includes roadside recovery, etc. Sounds a little expensive until you work out what could go wrong and the warranty is up to the then value of the Defender. Series 2A 88, 1976 - 1980
Series 3 Lightweight, 1999 - 2011
200 TDi 90, 2012 - 2014
Puma 90, 2015
Wolf 90, 2017 -
Post #330571 12th May 2014 6:13pm
zone30

New update. I get a completely new transfer case. Not shure what to make of it and what caused it to fail.
Question, is this a good thing or not that this happened?

Now extended warranty is back on the table.
Post #330750 13th May 2014 2:27pm
zone30

The final update. Got the car back today. All is well, they just need to do the painting and it's booked for that.

They could not see anything wrong with the replaced transfer box but they replaced it because they heared a whining.
They think some bearing is starting to fail which was maybe set to tight on production.

Anyway, all is good again, not that it was bad.

I will however do a 2 year warranty extention just in case. It'll be just short of 1400 euros (1100 pounds) with a 10% franchise on parts, so quite doable. Apparently it's based on kW of the car, not car specific. It doesn't cover parts that wear (like clutch) but it does include gears and axles and alike. So the stuff that should normally not break but if it does...
It also has no distance limit so that's good because I do a lot of those.
Post #331396 16th May 2014 6:02pm
ericvv

Post #331570 17th May 2014 2:46pm
chris bb

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
chris bb wrote:
chris bb wrote:
I bought a 4 year old Defender which (allegedly) came with a LR 1 year warranty. It's up for service now, if I take it to a different LR main dealer will the warranty apply for any faults they find?

Answer to own question. Phoned the local dealer who looked it up on their computer, yes, they'll do the service and honour the warranty for anything that's needed.

Apparently they will offer an extended warranty for £925 p.a. which includes roadside recovery, etc. Sounds a little expensive until you work out what could go wrong and the warranty is up to the then value of the Defender.

Yesterday it went in for its 5th year service. All's OK apart from a minor oil leak from the timing chain cover.

He says, "We can fix it OK for £400."

I says, "Go ahead, it's under warranty."

He says, "l'll have to ask LR."

An hour later he says, "LR want to look at it first and they can't get here 'til Friday."

I explode, telling him I need the car and is it under warranty or not?

An hour later he says that the LR engineer is coming 1st thing tomorrow morning and he expects to have the repair completed by lunch-time. Oh, and please keep the courtesy car overnight.

Today I'm told that the timing chain cover is distorted and will be replaced tomorrow. Oh, and yes, LR are footing the bill.

But what's the point of paying top dollar to buy a car from a main dealership to get a warranty if the manufacturer doesn't trust a dealership to be honest about what work needs doing to one of their finest?

MOT due in October, that'll be it's last visit to a main dealer. Series 2A 88, 1976 - 1980
Series 3 Lightweight, 1999 - 2011
200 TDi 90, 2012 - 2014
Puma 90, 2015
Wolf 90, 2017 -
Post #334175 28th May 2014 5:24pm
zone30

@ericv: no services included. And if it's actually a warranty repair I don't have to pay for the hours but do have to pay 10% of the parts.
Post #334226 28th May 2014 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12