↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Bonnet top (not wing top) chequer plate?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Bonnet top (not wing top) chequer plate?
Has anyone fitted bonnet top cheque plate? That 2 piece set that's for sale here and there. I fancy fitting some black stuff on the bonnet to protect from muddy children's wellies when they're having a picnic up there. I wonder also if it offers a little strength for an adult standing on the bonnet? I've already got black wing top. I only really like it on the bonnet and wings.

The odd pic of forumeers' bonnets with the stuff on would be much appreciated although I suspect there aren't many if any.

Thumbs Up
Post #31350 3rd May 2010 7:19pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Bonnet top (not wing top) chequer plate?
110SEB wrote:
Has anyone fitted bonnet top cheque plate? That 2 piece set that's for sale here and there. I fancy fitting some black stuff on the bonnet to protect from muddy children's wellies when they're having a picnic up there. I wonder also if it offers a little strength for an adult standing on the bonnet? I've already got black wing top. I only really like it on the bonnet and wings.

The odd pic of forumeers' bonnets with the stuff on would be much appreciated although I suspect there aren't many if any.

Thumbs Up

There is some in the lockup waiting to get fitted to mine, but we have been busy fitting the demo Maggiolina rooftents to the vehicles ready for Driffield so it will probably not get done before we go, as the next few days will be spent packing the trailer and sorting out everything that is getting taken.
However it will probably be one of the first jobs when we get back.
The 110 already has the wingtop chequer plated in black, it looks and feels really good so I should think the bonnet will get matching treatment.
When it gets done, I will take some pics.

Barbara
Using Brendan's login as mine isn't working -probably because I tried to login with the wrong password too many times Rolling Eyes
Post #31353 3rd May 2010 8:06pm
caribcat

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Done it and works great, though I added a layer of neoprene rubber underneath to protect the bonnet. I also fitted it with pop rivets as it would be hard to fiddle with nuts under the bonnets framework. Make sure you paint over the edges of the holes first!
Post #31366 3rd May 2010 10:21pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Pop rivets is the spawn of the devil as far as overland vehicles are concerned. On our red 110 overland vehicle some of the pop rivets holding the bonnet chequer plate on have popped. they will be replaced with stainless nyloc or rivnuts

Brendan
Post #31368 3rd May 2010 10:27pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I notice from the thread by caribcat on towing that he has bonnet chequer plate. Maybe a PM will get you some photos Thumbs Up

Encourage him to post them here Very Happy One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #31381 3rd May 2010 11:48pm
caribcat

Not much to see really. Underneath 80% of the rivets are hidden behind the steel frame work of the Puma bonnet. Notice the medical neoprene as a gasket (google search -hard to find though and can't remember my supplier)

Leeds, I have to disagree with the pop rivet issue. There are literally hundreds of rivets on any generation of Land Rover so you are fighting a losing battle! After 30k of overland I have never had a failure -even on desert roads which would shake your teeth out! Your issue might be that you are not using a gasket between plate and bonnet which dampens vibrations and removes any movement. Rivnuts are not an option for everyone because of the cost of a tool and anything made of stainless is the kiss of death when in contact with alloy. Alloy machine screws are blinkin' expensive (especially ones in black as would look good here) and there is no way to attach the nut without cutting an access hole in the frame. The humble pop rivet is cheap and workable. If it breaks you replace it in 30 seconds. Also on overland trips a sheet of alloy stored under the rear mat and little pack of pop rivets +5mm drill will do a host of body repairs so tend to have one at hand anyway.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Click image to enlarge

[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #31393 4th May 2010 11:29am
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thank you very much for the clear pics Caribcat Thumbs Up Where did you get your chequer plate from?
Post #31401 4th May 2010 1:16pm
caribcat

Post #31402 4th May 2010 1:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
caribcat wrote:

Leeds, I have to disagree with the pop rivet issue. There are literally hundreds of rivets on any generation of Land Rover so you are fighting a losing battle! After 30k of overland I have never had a failure -even on desert roads which would shake your teeth out! Your issue might be that you are not using a gasket between plate and bonnet which dampens vibrations and removes any movement. Rivnuts are not an option for everyone because of the cost of a tool and anything made of stainless is the kiss of death when in contact with alloy. Alloy machine screws are blinkin' expensive (especially ones in black as would look good here) and there is no way to attach the nut without cutting an access hole in the frame.

Brain has been frazzled by long hours getting ready for a show

Should have said self tappers are the devils spawn and not pop rivets. Yep lots of pop rivets in a Land Rover

However have popped some pop rivets on the bonnet chequer plate. As for desert roads etc,Have had my fair share of them and have had various vibration issues. On one 25,000 mile trip suffered metal fatigue and failure of both rear brake stone guards, bonnet stay fastening bracket, had a hole in top of rad from bolt in rad retaining frame. Self tappers lost by the dozen. I hate them

Cost of rivnut tooling is not great at about £50. Never had need for ali sheet to repair body damage on a trip yet. Have had to do more major work like chassis replacement. Razz Rolling with laughter That is on 60,000 miles abroad in a 3 year period.

Our 14 year old 200,000 mile overland vehicle has just been put in for its MOT with no preparation. Needed rear fog light connector sorted and alignment of one headlamp. Not bad really when consider both its age and the treatment it gets Razz Laughing

Brendan

PS if anyone wants to see what we get up to have a look HERE. Make yourself comfortable with tea/coffee/beer first
Post #31405 4th May 2010 2:36pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
My car's done nearly 20,000 miles and I've not had to replace the chassis or patch any bodywork yet Thumbs Up

I like the look of the chequer plate, though. Does it add much strength to the bonnet? If I were standing on it, would the bulge collapse (plate doesn't add any strength to the sides)? One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #31440 4th May 2010 9:11pm
caribcat

The bonnet is strong anyway, but the chequer definitely adds strength. Strong enough to walk on.
Post #31456 4th May 2010 10:40pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I do see what they are doing with those plates but still a lot of the bonnet isn't covered and from experience sods law means you will end up catching/ scratching the non-chequer plate bits.

Just to throw this one in there- Mammouth 4x4 bonnet chequer plate:

Click image to enlarge

Glyn :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #31499 5th May 2010 1:16pm
Gav110

Australia 
caribcat wrote:
The bonnet is strong anyway, but the chequer definitely adds strength. Strong enough to walk on.

Thanks for the photo! I have been waiting to see one since March when their '1 piece' product was supposed to be released; and despite their promises they have neither sent me any nor posted them on their site (unless I'm blind).

Are there any other shots of it - ideally installed on a vehicle? Also anyone know pricing?

Thanks Gavster
2010 Puma 110
Post #32767 22nd May 2010 3:02pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Like my Tonga Green too much to put stuff on it. I'm thinking of replacing the silver that the former owner put on my XS's sides with black, as holes are already there... Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #32771 22nd May 2010 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1