↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Here's a question for the Td5 gurus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'm back again. Whilst the injector harness change has made the motor a little bit crisper but, the uphill problem is still there.
Changed the harness yesterday and the motor has been perfectly normal with town driving and a few short journeys but this evening I had the opportunity to run around for ten minutes to get the thing up to a good running temperature and went on a road with a hill that caused me problems earlier. This time the loss of power happened a little quicker and stopped the engine. I rolled back down and managed to do a three point turn using gravity and when we were rolling back downhill I let the clutch out and with third gear engaged the engine was been turned over by rolling and with my foot down on the throttle it caught and accelerated away and was as crisp as before. No further problems were seen driving back home.
This is only happening driving up hills when the engine has been running for 10 minutes or more. Analysing it in my mind it felt like a fuel starvation, the pump was working I'm sure, the tank is over half full. So now I've got to go through the fuel system.
Anyone got any bright ideas as well to help in my quest especially if you have any thoughts on what could be affected going uphill.
Post #322767 9th Apr 2014 9:37pm
JWL

Thought I had it today, major cleaning around the red plug on the ECU, even took it out and opened it up to see if there was any evidence of oil in there, nothing. In the bunch of wires there is one uninsulated wire that shows just before the red plug. It has travelled into the under seat box down a shrouded cable which is shielded with foil, it also has two more wires, green/yellow and a brown wire.
Whilst in there I had a look at the fuel pump relay which seems to be the home to some very wobbly terminals so I replaced that with a new one. Put it all back together and went off for a road test back to the hill I didn't get up last night. Same again Rolling Eyes . After looking at a couple of Aussie forums which came up with a Google search of the problem I shall be changing the fuel pump when it comes tomorrow, I have a feeling that there is the dreaded algae crud in the pump as it is very coincidental that after running mine on mainly Sainsburys own brand I put £60 of Esso from a Tesco Express last Thursday and started having the problem within the next 5 miles, which would be about when the recently purchased fuel would be going through, the motor runs perfectly on the flat and downhill, put it at a long hill and the constant draw on the pump is causing the problem. When it was ticking over before I went out I could replicate the problem by pulling a wire off the pump relay, it would run for a few seconds then falter, misfire and if you put the wire back it would immediately go back to normal.
Post #322904 10th Apr 2014 3:35pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
As a bit of a curve ball, you say it only happens up hill and it mis-fires then dies.

I've had similar symptoms on my TD5 disco when the turbo wastegate jammed shut. When it was on the flat / downhill no problems as the engine isn't working that hard and so boost pressure is relatively low.

Put it under hard load, ie up-hill and manifold pressure builds up, the wastegate fails to open and so to prevent excessive pressure build up the MAP sensor will signal for the EEC to cut fuelling. Quite a common thing on TD5s I believe.

Like I say, may be completely off the mark but worth a look maybe as it's a free fix with some grips and WD40.
Post #323063 11th Apr 2014 12:35pm
JWL

T'd already looked into the turbo pipes and wastegate, anything for a cheap fix. It's all by the by now as I've FIXED it. I bit the bullet and fitted a new pump. The old one was full of black slime, not so much sludge as slime. The old pump has been noisy for a number of years so didn't hurt to be changed and is definitely quieter. Gave it a road test and the motor is back to full performance, I can now travel comfortably up hills that for the past week I've had trouble getting anywhere near. Tidy result!
I took a sequence of photos if anyone is interested showing how I gained access to the pump through the floor on my 110.
Post #323087 11th Apr 2014 3:19pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
Good news, glad its sorted.
Post #323093 11th Apr 2014 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12