↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > ABS pump/pedal box removal.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jimbob7

ABS pump/pedal box removal.
What are the options when taking the abs pump out ( finally bit the bullet an bort a new pump,also needed master cylinder,not a happy bunny Big Cry ) ).
Plan A is to remove bonnet and pedal box/servo.
Thing is, I don't know if the pedal box will come out with the pump still in place as its all a Censored tight fit with the steering column. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #313654 5th Mar 2014 12:21am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've done odd bits with my ABS block. To gain access to it I removed the air vent and all the pipework for the engine air intake(in my case the snorkel as well) I just lifted mine to gain access under the modulator block but it wouldn't have taken much for it to be removed completely, just undo the hydraulic lines. There was enough space for it to be lifted out completely with the pipes off. I also took off the small wing support bracket that helps the wing keep its rigidity to give more room to get my arm in with a spanner.
Long and short for the ABS block would be to unlatch the electrial connectors, pop all the hydraulic pipes off, then there are 3 x 10mm nuts holding the block via rubber blocks onto a frame. One at the front and two at the back, that's where the access through the air vent is usefull.
I'd have thought that the master cylinder would be accessed from the engine bay.
Post #313656 5th Mar 2014 12:42am
jimbob7

Yeah cheers, its just advice on pump removal,master cylinder is a doddle,2 nuts,2 pipes and plenty of room to do it.
I've thought about removing the wing liner (instead of the air intake) but I dont want to disturb the upper shock/turret mount. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #313659 5th Mar 2014 1:05am
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Some pele take the wing off to get access or just masking tape the top of the wing by the ariel and you can get them out with a bit of wiggling and using a small bar to push pedal box across a few mm
Post #313794 5th Mar 2014 8:27pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
As above...protect the wing top, slacken the pedal box bolts to allow movement and that will give you just enough room. I managed to scrape off the plastic coating on the brake pipes though so you might want to think of a way to prevent that. I am sure no one else would notice but I see it every time I open the bonnet!
Post #313848 5th Mar 2014 11:27pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I got mine out (I couldn't remove the wing as I have a roll cage bolted through it), I loosened the pedal box so I could move the box towards the near side of the car. The hardest part was getting at the two rear nuts that hold the ABS module to the brackets. I used a fine ratchet spanner and just managed it.

I taped over the edges of the wing and anything else nearby that would get caught, and it came out.

I swapped it for a 2nd hand unit as I had the 3 Amigos - seized pumped motor and shuttle vales showing as error codes.

Refitted and bled the brakes - there is a sequence specifically for ABS equipped cars. Worked brilliantly.

Good luck.

Simon
Post #313871 6th Mar 2014 7:54am
jimbob7

I'll drop the wheel arch liner anyway and if I can waggle it past the loosened pedal box then that is plan A,out of curiosity, I assume then the pedal box wont come out coz the pump and steering column are in the way?
Thanks folks Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #314050 6th Mar 2014 8:48pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
You don't need to remove the pedal box. On mine, I just loosened (6..?) bolts enough to tip the pedal box a little to the nearside. Just enough to get the ABS modulator out.

cheers

simon
Post #314122 6th Mar 2014 11:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1