↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Down on power after fpr replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Down on power after fpr replacement
I replaced my fuel pressure regulator on Sunday and ever since, I have been down on power.

The best way I can describe it is that it is like the turbo is not working. Instead of a whistle from the turbo there is quite a loud shhhhhhhhhh sound, which comes in instantly rather than gradually but occurs just when the turbo should. It also kicks out black smoke under load

The fpr looks correctly replaced and the leak is cured. I have had a look around and all vacuum/air hoses do not look as if they have been disturbed by my clumsy hands. The only thing I can think is that I have fitted an incorrect gasket (from the earlier 2 pipe version), or I have disturbed the o ring in the engine block on refitting. I have purged the fuel system by pressing the pedal 5 times....admittedly days after replacing the fpr because she fired into life instantly after fitting.

She runs smooth as silk though but does seem lumpy at the very very top end. When I hit the rev limit is he seems to splutter slightly and the revs drop a little.

She is otherwise well maintained in all the usual places, having had a new injector loom recently and a new VDO MAF this year.

Do these symptoms seem like they could be related to incorrect fpr fitment?

Thanks in advance
Post #314061 6th Mar 2014 9:30pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Sounds like a split intercooler hose ! Would be a bit of a coincidence happening when you,ve changed the FPR but worth checking all the same. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #314063 6th Mar 2014 9:35pm
Jimb1978

Cheers. I hadn't ruled out a huge coincidence as even bigger ones than this have happened to me before. For example, after a complete high pressure steam clean and full dinitrol treatment, carried out by myself, I immediately got the three amigos. I must have damaged the abs sensors surely? Plugged in to diagnostics...abs pump failure...the cause, a corroded terminal on the modulator relay under the drivers seat!!!

Is there any way I can tell by looking if it is the inter cooler hose? Will it deform/expand when the engine revs? Is it likely to be a split?
Post #314064 6th Mar 2014 9:42pm
Lou Sparts

Had a very similar thing in a mondeo at work recently hose had split enough to get a couple of fingers in,usually happens at a low point where oil collects and degrades the rubber. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #314066 6th Mar 2014 9:47pm
Jimb1978

Thank you so much...I have found the problem, although it is not a coincidence as I am a complete clot.

In investigating whether or not it is possible to replace the fuel pipe to the regulator which runs along the side of the engine without taking the manifold off, I removed the inter cooler hose to the egr to get a closer look at the union on the pipe.

In my haste to put it all back together I completely forgot to do up the jubilee clip on reassembly.

Time for a quick test drive but I am 100% convinced you have just helped my cure the problem. M Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #314077 6th Mar 2014 10:01pm
Lou Sparts

Problem solved,no cost,happy days Very Happy 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #314080 6th Mar 2014 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1