↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > My Sankey Wide Track
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
My Sankey Wide Track
This is my Sankey, there are many like it but this one is mine.

A few weeks ago now I acquired a Sankey Wide Track MK2. It is from within the fold and some of the frequenters of Wiltshire will recognise it as our beloved BPMan's old kart Smile

I brought it home with a few accessories that came it that were very gratefully received.

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately due to the adverse weather conditions I have not had a chance to go out and do anything with it but have been researching other build threads and pictures of other peoples trailers to give me inspiration for a to do list prior to its first trip in June to La Mans.

To Do (In order of priority)

1. Find/find someone to fabricate a reinforced lid for the sankey that will offer watertight protection against the elements. There have been people using Series 3 roofs to cut and fit but i fear it is a bit beyond my limited practical skills.

2. Hinge it either using heavy duty hinge or a friction type hinge that will ideally kill 2 birds with one stone offering both an opening facility and a method of keeping the damned lid in the air while people load and unload. If just a hinge then I will need to buy gas struts from ebay. (Still to be decided).

3. Regrettably it will need to change colour as from close scrutiny of SWMBO, it looks daft red, not an appealing 'character' red, just an eye sore red. This will involve stripping the electrics out (uh oh, beyond me) and taking to a nearby soda blasters for complete strip back to metal (I worked with these guys at a charity car show so hopefully more beer than beer tokens will exchange hands). They also offer a priming service which i will probable take up depending on how much this will all cost me.

4. Try and find a cost effective method of painting it Orkney Grey to match my Defender. The finish on the red paint at the moment is great and i'm sure it is even polish-able to a complete shine. I'd like to replicate that level of paint job so as not to reduce the finish of the overall trailer.

5. Line the inside. This is all dependent on how much Line-X Slough will quote me to line the inside as i fear it will be in the £300 mark which a lot. Otherwise I will look elsewhere and see what is achievable.

6. I will have to have some fixing points within the trailer in order to make sure the stuff within the trailer stays put. Ratchet strap fixing points and some elastic netting I think will cover most of my needs.

7. Get some chains to enable me to use the tailgate as a bit of a bench, my mind went off on a tangent and an old leather studded bench base would be really cool to have attached to that.

8. Get some more matching modulars, I have that in hand already.

Finally then to source another roof tent in order to complete the set up and all ready for La Mans.

As ever, if anyone has any ideas and suggestions to solutions for any of the above or things that I have missed that would be an obvious addition to my list to do then please comment as it will no doubt make my mammoth task either easier or more complete.

Many thanks

Steve ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #309732 19th Feb 2014 10:56pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I guess you know this site? Very inspiring!

Cheers Thumbs Up Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #309801 20th Feb 2014 8:11am
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Thanks VeeTee,

I really like the Expedition Portal, I don't really go on there enough. I have seen those builds and a lot of them are blooooody brilliant!

Couldn't find many Sankey based builds though. ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #309807 20th Feb 2014 8:40am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
you could always paint your defender red to match the trailer Thumbs Up
Post #309813 20th Feb 2014 9:03am
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
I second that!! Rolling with laughter
Post #310039 20th Feb 2014 9:39pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #310046 20th Feb 2014 9:46pm
THF

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Steve,

I've got a bit of conversion going on with a Mk3 I bought recently. Its taking a little longer than I planned, work doesn't help.

On the subject of painting the inside. I went down the Line-X and Speed Liner, both came out at about £350 & vat. (Ouch!) Sailor Tom recommended Flowcoat for the inside, something he uses in teh marine industry (boat & yacht building/repairing). A hard wearing coating, that you paint on, and can touch up as you need, about £50 for a tub, variours coulours, but I don't see your particular shade of red there! Wink

safari-equip do a custom top for the sankey, but at £750 & the VAT I'll be trying to make my own!

All the best with the trailer,

Nick
Post #310056 20th Feb 2014 10:03pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
You managed to get a price out of Safari Equip! I've asked them by email and at shows and struggled. www.td5.org
Post #310090 20th Feb 2014 11:10pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I have a sankey and it sits level as standard, but I have the adjustable hitch on the truck.
Post #311788 26th Feb 2014 8:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1