↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Any Ham Radio operator?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Its a bit overkill for what I need it for really, as I'm only a foundation license holder at present. My thinking was that it's the same unit as a few other in Lothian 4x4 (one of whom is on here too), which helps the odd time you need to operate a different set in another vehicle, but also support from others is easy to find.

Because I'm limited to 10w, I've found that my APRS packets very rarely reach an iGate. I've been using an APRS app on my phone is more reliable (provided mobile signal) although if the mobile networks went down then amateur would be my primary means of communication.

As to exactly how the GPS works, there's a small GPS locator installed on the back of the display/control unit, which feeds the GPS data into the radio for display on the screen, and broadcast to the nearest iGate. After that some witchcraft happens, and you can see where you've been on websites such as aprs.fi Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #289996 13th Dec 2013 12:05am
Eric L

France 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Hi ,

I am Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

http://www.qrz.com/db/F4FYJ December 2007 110 Defender. 106000 KM
Post #295878 4th Jan 2014 11:52pm
Swollock

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I am and quite active. For those looking for a simple and relatively cheap set up I have just brought the latest mobile from Wouxun the UV-950. This is Quad band and covers 10M 6M 2M and 70cm, but in usual Wouxun style it also covers 11M CB and 10M with 10W output, other bands are 40W. Its true dual band receive so you can monitor 11M CB as well as 2M or 70CM repeater at the same time.

I thought it would be ideal for a single radio that could do both CB and my normal operating on 2M 70CM, it is also supplied with all the mountings for the remote head including cable etc and was £229 new from Moonraker. 2008 Defender 110 XS CSW
Volvo S60 T8
Triumph 1200 Rally Explorer
G0UBX
Post #295896 5th Jan 2014 8:14am
Eric L

France 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
UV-950 is a good setup in a litle box and easy to put in a car.
For mobile activity I'm using an Icom 7000 , an all band transceiver .
I am active in digital mode and also SSB but only on Ham frequencies.

Click image to enlarge
 December 2007 110 Defender. 106000 KM
Post #295976 5th Jan 2014 2:28pm
Mr Didot

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Baltic Blue
I have now got round to installing my FT857 and am sharing a few photos. Thank you for all your suggestions and photos.

I used the MUD roof console unit for the front unit. Here is photo the wiper hose. I pulled it out before drilling Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

I pushed the separation wires and cables from the centre interior light opening to the area above the left hand door using a straightened coat hanger. I also added cables for a power source for the future.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The rest of the MUD console was installed - the cables can be seen coiled on the left hand side beside the door frame.

Click image to enlarge

The main unit is located behind the left hand seat using velcro and the cables are placed behind the safety belt panel. The power source was run directly from the battery with a small hole drilled to provide access for the cables to exit

Click image to enlarge

The head unit is attached to the din panel with velcro and drilled with a small hole to allow the passage of the head unit attachment and external loudspeaker. Both the microphone and loudspeaker are held on the console shelf to the left of the head unit.

Click image to enlarge

I use a 70cm/2m dual antenna for mobile work. I tend to assemble a mast for HF work. I have attached the antenna just above the door frame and coax (aircell 5) runs in through the door opening. I may drill a hole later for the antenna cable but not yet - the car feels too new Embarassed

Click image to enlarge
Post #296206 6th Jan 2014 12:54am
Ruari

2000 Defender 110 Td5 HT Alpine White
Hello from MM6 IIO

I tend to use mine to marshal rallies and for the Strathclyde 4x4 Response.

I fitted the Kenwood D700. Head unit sits on the dash in front of the steering wheel whilst the main gubbins is on the bulkhead behind the passenger. Cables ran under the soundproofing and along the conduit run when I replaced the bulkhead. Remote speaker is mounted on the dog guard in between myself & navigator along with a old Garmin gps for the APRS beacon.
Aerials for 2m, cb are mounted on the light bar.
Post #302769 28th Jan 2014 9:32am
110 John

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Hi from 2E0SCM and have the FT857D fitted in my 110 with a Atas 120A and the MUD console yes its possible just about every day if conditions are correct
Post #307946 14th Feb 2014 6:32am
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
LA1ZUA about to install the 857 into MY2013 Defender 110, I am looking to use the Terrafirma roof console, but I like the console in Lusimi has, who supplies this one ?

Glen "Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #307998 14th Feb 2014 12:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12