↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > component speakers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
component speakers
Given that the later defenders have tweeters, are the other four speakers the 'component' type? I'm wanting to replace them but can find many choices of two or three way but not many of the component variety.
Does it really matter what type i get??
Post #305148 4th Feb 2014 10:19pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
I was looking at Focal 100KRS for the front and Focal PC100 for the rears. Haven't bought them yet as they are a little costly, but someone on here was recommending them. Just fitted a Kenwood active sub on the back of the cubby box which has made a massive difference. 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #305205 5th Feb 2014 12:08am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The standard speakers are woofer like which is the same as the aftermarket component by design but power very very different.
In other words the speakers front and rear are meant really to deal with mid and low freq and the tweeters high as standard on a Puma.
The tweeters aren't too bad but the speakers are but replacing the lot is much much better.
I didn't go for a component set myself as I think the general quality suffers from trying to achieve low frequencies from speakers that aren't that big which a sub is superior for.
So I went high power tweets (non amplified as they are loud enough!)
Coaxial speakers front and rear which have a good freq range from high-mid-low.
Lows are pretty good for the size though but I went for these as they have a small tweeter built in too so keeps a good pitch and quality.
Finally to complete the lacking bass of the system I fitted a sub too.
Only upgrades I would consider now is soundproofing to increase the power and quality of what I already have by blocking mainly road and engine noise and perhaps bigger speakers but plenty of work or that.

All of this is a balance of upgrading the whole system for a better sound, all of it needs to compliment each other so it sounds just right and the final tweaks can be done on a good quality HU's settings.
Lows are no hood on their own as you'll have little quality and highs no good on their own without any oomph behind it.
With a standard system I'd start with a sub, then speakers and finally tweeters.
6x9's are another option to add into the mix but they should really be Amped IMO as they draw a fair bit of power much like a sub, they are especially good for boosting mids and if they are high power and quality some lows too to compliment a sub.

Hope this helps, Jim is best to advise you on Focal than me however.
Feel free to drop me if you see fit. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #305213 5th Feb 2014 12:43am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I disagree with Steve. I was into car audio for many years when I was younger and had many different set ups and learned quite a lot in the process. I found coaxial speakers had very poor sound quality as the mid and low sounds overpowered the usually tiny tweeter that's sat right in front of them, so I would now NEVER buy coax speakers again. Also if you put larger amped speaker in the back the sound will be so jumbled with the sound from the front speakers that the quality will be poor at best (it will be louder though) The perfect set up if you are setting the system up for yourself and are not worried about others in the vehicle is 2/3 way components up front that are amped and a reasonable sized sub somewhere in the vehicle (placing for subs doesn't really matter as lower frequency sounds aren't directional) I'd recommended a 12 inch sub as you get the benefit of deeper bass sounds and punchy bass too, the sub should also be amped. It's quite easy to fit tweeters in an earlier than puma defender dash and you can fit bigger than the standard 10cm speakers in the lower dash with a bit of carefull cutting. Of course the big question is would we notice any difference in quality of different speakers when we are driving around in noisy, rattley, road tractors Rolling with laughter and there is also cost to think about as a good set of component can be quite expensive. I've had systems ranging from 50 right up to a few grand and at the moment in the defender (including sound deadening) I've probably only spent about 500 but I haven't added a sub and amp yet which should finish off the system enough for decent sound.
Post #305259 5th Feb 2014 10:38am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Forgive me it was quite late at night. Thumbs Up
As you say though what ever you do the Defender is a difficult beast with its silly angled dash speakers and rumble of road noise and engine noise.
To be honest I'd have though sound proofing would have been one of the best mods to start off with. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #305280 5th Feb 2014 1:26pm
mk1collector

That's pretty much where I've started. I've sound deadened and closed cell foamed while I have a cheap head unit and speakers and when all my other jobs are finished I'll be putting in better components and head unit and also adding a sub. I just have to sneak stuff in while the mrs isn't watching Rolling with laughter
Post #305351 5th Feb 2014 6:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You'll suffer if she does find out. Rolling with laughter I'm still yet to do the sound proofing with mine, I guess I'll get it done at some point. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #305357 5th Feb 2014 7:18pm
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ok thank you thats quite informative.. time to go shopping.

i've seen those little subs on ebay.. not quite sure on those because i also have got two ten inch subs in my austin mini which im not using now, they should do the trick if i can build a small enough box to put them in.
Post #305362 5th Feb 2014 7:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Those would be best only issue you might find is finding a suitable location to fit them.
If you don't use the back that much then that's easily the answer. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #305379 5th Feb 2014 8:26pm
mk1collector

If you are making your own sub boxes, try and get the internal volume of the box as close to manufacturers recommendations as possible. I find a sealed box has a better sound quality and punch but a ported box is louder, although a ported box is a lot harder to get exactly right with internal volume and port length etc.
Post #305393 5th Feb 2014 9:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have just the answer for that: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp
Quite accurate too I just tested on my own proven box dimensions. Cubic ft is my preferred measurement than litres but both do the same thing. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #305403 5th Feb 2014 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1