↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Water fuel issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
That was easy enough, took no more than 3 minutes... Happy to say i had very little water in the filter... (maybe 1%).
Post #30373 21st Apr 2010 1:59pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
ralton wrote:
That was easy enough, took no more than 3 minutes... Happy to say i had very little water in the filter... (maybe 1%).

Ralton, where do you fill up? I always fill up at Sasol with 50ppm.
Post #30450 22nd Apr 2010 9:32am
ralton

Naks wrote:
Ralton, where do you fill up? I always fill up at Sasol with 50ppm.

Hi there
i use all sorts... Sasol, Engen and BP are all used around where i live, and then i travel quite a bit too and use whatever i get. I do try and keep it to 50ppm, but am not overly worried about it...

Maybe i'm imagining it, bit i'm sure it's running better since i drained the fuel filter?!

Cheers
Post #30455 22nd Apr 2010 10:08am
Naks

ralton wrote:
i use all sorts... Sasol, Engen and BP are all used around where i live, and then i travel quite a bit too and use whatever i get. I do try and keep it to 50ppm, but am not overly worried about it... Maybe i'm imagining it, bit i'm sure it's running better since i drained the fuel filter?!

I see. Do you also put 2-stroke oil in there?

I've just started, 100ml or so every month.
Post #30458 22nd Apr 2010 10:14am
ralton

Naks wrote:
I see. Do you also put 2-stroke oil in there?

I've just started, 100ml or so every month.

It's funny, i was researching that yesterday, and was so very close to starting to add 250ml per tank, but came across one post (i can't even remember where it was, i looked at so many forums) that said we shouldn't. So i'm not..., but i am still thinking about it....
Post #30460 22nd Apr 2010 10:23am
Naks

ralton wrote:
but came across one post (i can't even remember where it was, i looked at so many forums) that said we shouldn't. So i'm not..., but i am still thinking about it....

would be interesting to know the reason mentioned...

I know a couple of owners who started adding 2-stroke to their brand new Puma's. I've waited 3500km for the engine to get run-in a bit...
Post #30462 22nd Apr 2010 10:34am
ralton

Naks wrote:
would be interesting to know the reason mentioned...

Here we, i've found the post that changed my mind. Here's the link to the page, followed by a copy/paste of the actual post.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...amp;page=2

RedLineR, I with you 100%. This oil-in-diesel thing sounds like another load of BS to me, and seeing as I'm in the mood for dispelling myths, let me have a go at this one.

Diesel manufacturers already add a properly developed, scientifically researched additive to ultra-low sulphur diesel to compensate for the loss of lubrication caused by decreasing the sulphur content. So there is NO NEED for Joe Blogs to try and "compensate" for this "problem" himself - because there is NO problem to begin with...

Secondly, take a look at oil - and specifically the oil distillation process. Lubricating oils come off the bottom of the distillation stack - along with products like waxes and asphalt (tar). Diesel comes off somewhere in the middle, just after paraffin and petrol. In other words, diesel is a much lighter, cleaner, more refined substance than any lubricating oil.

So how can putting heavy, viscous, crude, less refined oil into an engine specifically designed to burn cleaner, lighter, purer diesel (or heaven forbid, a petrol engine) possibly do it any good, and how on earth is this supposed to "clean" it, or make it quieter or more efficient?!?

Secondly, how come there is NO REPUTABLE EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that this works? How come the only evidence is always totally subjective "testimonials" (like Verimark use to sell their snake oil) from people like Piet Pompies who swears that even his 89 years old deaf grandmother could immediately hear how much quieter his bakkie ran after adding two-stroke oil, and not only that, his 2 year old daughter told him she can tell it runs smoother and smokes less, and nogal, he can feel the increased power, all while using less fuel than it used to.

COME ON PEOPLE!!!! Do you really think that you are onto something that the PhD's at the oil companies with the billion $$ research labs have no clue about? If this worked, don’t you think Engen/Sasol/BP, whoever, would add a bit at the source, and sell their “Super Diesel” for a higher price? I mean, if it worked (as people here claim it does), they wouldn’t be able to sell enough of the stuff!

And don't tell me that "I've been using it for 40, 50, 60, 100,000km with no problems" - so what? My Pajero has done 140,000km on mainly 50ppm diesel, also with no problems. Also so what? Neither of these mean anything at all – your individual experience is totally subjective and is in no way “proof” that it works!!!

There is NO WAY IN HELL that I'd add ANYTHING to my fuel tank that was not specifically designed to go in there, and is endorsed by the manufacturer. Not motor-bike oil, mothballs, "engine cleaner", "injector cleaner" or anything else, just the lowest sulphur diesel I can buy from a reputable garage with a high fuel turnover.

Just my opinion...
Post #30465 22nd Apr 2010 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12