Home > Td5 > Oil Centrifuge bolts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
Oil Centrifuge bolts
Greetings Defender Fans

I've just completed my first oil change which was a satisfying job with two small exceptions. The first being the removal of the sump plug which I can only assume was last put back on by a gorilla with an air gun. Nothing I tried would move it and I started to round off the edges, even with a single hex impact socket. Having acquired a replacement plug I then tried an Irwin nut extractor attached to a 24 inch breaker bar. What a tool! Came off first time - and even better was that the replacement was the right size!

The second problem and the reason for this post concerns the bolts on the oil rotor housing. When I took the lid off, the bolt nearest the engine had a small piece of thread with it! Seems that the bolt thread goes through the lid and then into the assembly itself. However, I reckon whoever put it on last used a ratchet and presumably miss-threaded it. It's probably easy to do as the bolt is close to the block and it's not easy to get a straight line of entry. When I put it back I did it using my fingers initially and the bolt only has a relatively small amount of thread to grip which, given the required torque is only 9Nm may be enough. I've run the engine up and all seems fine however, I'm now wondering what to do next. I reckon I have three options to make sure this isn't an issue in the long term. These are:-

1) re-tap the hole - possibly even to the next size up. I think the bolt is an M6 so could I go to an M7? Given that the thread goes though the lid and the housing I would probably need to take the assembly off to do this properly. Or;
2) drill the hole out and use an ordinary nut and bolt? Or;
3) refit a whole new assembly?

Whaddya fink?
Post #304060 1st Feb 2014 1:20pm
munch90

England 
7mm bolts aren't a common bolt .. have had some come in stripped and just tapped out to 1/4 unf ( or unc ) 7/16 headed no drilling just run tap straight in . less then 5 min job.

could as insert repair but you would have to buy the whole kit and keep it 6mm .

I would not use a helicoil repair as they can catch and bind up when removing .alright for once time repair but not on a service item that you want to remove again and again
Post #304061 1st Feb 2014 1:28pm
jimbob7

One for sale on here,pm him saves messin about fixin it.
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25600.html Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #304070 1st Feb 2014 1:52pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
We get this often with TD5 rotor filter caps.
The threaded casing is actually longer than the bolts used, so we just use a slightly longer M6 bolt that reaches the lower unused/undamaged section of thread in the casing ... simples Cool Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #304072 1st Feb 2014 2:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1