↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Europe > Turkey (not the bird !)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
womble

England 
Turkey (not the bird !)
thinking of doing a trip to the above ,maybe in the next 12 months ,depends on £££ 's,want to go via croatia,montenegro,albania and greece,maybe makedonia too if poss.want to visit istanbul,trabzon,cappadoccia and konya and then maybe return via bulgaria and romania because i have never been to bulgaria.

what do you people think ?

anyone done anything similar ?

am open to ideas Cool
Post #297901 11th Jan 2014 7:45pm
theorangebandit

My ultimate goal is to get on expeditions once a years. I havent got my truck any where near expodition ready yet though. I have a wish list however.

My advice is that if you do go on one go in a group or pair. If you go alone you need to make absolutely sure your completely self proficient. Think abpit break downs, repairs, recovery, food, shelter. Fuel.

There are sites that contain alot of info for expo traveling so get learning. Im sure you wouldnt struggle to recruit company on here. But also consider some of the expo companies that are about. You pay a fee and it covers the costs of certain things. Invluding a guide/real time support.
Post #297922 11th Jan 2014 8:31pm
crispyduck

United Kingdom 
Just seen your thread - did you ever get to Turkey? I'm living in Ankara with an ex Turkish police 110. If you're still planning on coming this way let me know.
Post #517204 23rd Mar 2016 9:58pm
keith

Scotland 
Post #517218 23rd Mar 2016 10:34pm
womble

England 
Hi crispyduck.i did go to turkey over jul/aug 2015,went via Austria,Slo,Cro,Montenegro,Albania then Greece and through Ipsala.
Stayed with a Turkish friend near Izmit then drove on down via Ankara to Cappodoccia,amazing 😊.My 110 didn't miss a beat and i drove into Istanbul and saw inside the Sulan Ahmet Mosque and walked around the grand bazaar before coming back via Bulgaria and Serbia,wish i had known you wete in Ankara as we could have met up but i had a fantastic time anyway.It is an incredible country with really nice people.
6000 miles...not bad for a 96 defender and no problems 😊
Post #517993 26th Mar 2016 5:48pm
fedexo

Italy 
Hi!

in 2014 we had the intention to go in Turkey from Italy. Than we stopped in Greece because it was not easy to explore the islands, I mean we thought it was possible to take a ferry form an island to another but we hade to come back from the Island to the land all the time and change the new destination.
anyway, countries mentioned are beautiful, easy to go. We only spent a lot of time in the border from Albania to Greece. It helps us out flag, because we're Italian and there were no problems for us.
As the situation is change, maybe you could have some problems crossing some borders as Albani-Greece or Greece-Turkey.
In Montenegro you have to buy a special insurance (a lot of European insurances don't cover damages there), you can buy it after the douane. In Albania, you need the green card for insurance, i think also in Uk is available.
Croatia is the most expansive in comparison Montenegro, Albania or Greece. Turkey is good, but Istanbul is an hell to drive. Fuel is really expansive (sometimes in the past was near 2 € per liter).

Hope I've helped you a little.
Cheers
Post #531964 16th May 2016 11:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1