Home > Puma (Tdci) > Transfer box slipping into Neutral
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Transfer box slipping into Neutral
Eish,

driving home tonight I was doing 80kmh on the open road. I shifted into 5th, only to have the transfer box go into neutral - not a nice thing to happen at night, with traffic coming up behind at speed Shocked

Pulled over, wrestled with the transfer lever, eventually got it back into high range and got home.

Has this happened to anyone else?

New 2010 Puma with 2422km on the clock now.
Post #28170 26th Mar 2010 8:21pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Happened to me once, same thing. I thought it was my fault.

Now I check the correct range is fully engaged before starting to drive, it did not happen again since then.
Post #28173 26th Mar 2010 8:41pm
Joe90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Happened to me a few weeks back, but like several times! I'd wack it into high-range and then whenever I started to drive quite quickly again it would 'crunch' and jump up back into neutral, I ended up just pushing my ninety back a touch whilst holding it in high range. I still don't know what the reason was.
Post #28183 26th Mar 2010 10:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Joe90 wrote:
I ended up just pushing my ninety back a touch whilst holding it in high range. I still don't know what the reason was.

thanks Joe, will try that as well. weird though. Rolling Eyes
Post #28333 29th Mar 2010 8:00am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
Hi all,
Just joined the forum and saw this post.

My 07 Defender 110 did this a few times. I don't know if this will help (you might already know) but there is a shaft on the outside of the gear box, driver side, which connects the transfer lever to the transfer box selector. There is a clamp assembly with a red button on it (square). Adjusting the length of the lever alters the position of the transfer gear lever in the cab. Mine was adusted too short (I think) so that gearbox movement would knock in into neutral. It is now adjusted so that about 5mm of thread extends from the clamp block. I have not had any problems since this has been done whcih includes highway driving and rough off road work.

I sorted this problem out myself but I took it to the dealer just in case (reinstated the original length before taking it to dealer). They had the car for two hours to do what took me 10 minutes to adjust.

The Land Rover GTR has about 3 pages dedicated to this procedure involving pulling the top off the lever assembly inside the car. Don't know why as most information is not relavant if only the lenght is wrong. It might take a few adjustments to get it right or take it to the dealer to get it done.

Hope this might help.
Post #29679 13th Apr 2010 8:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1