↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > DRLs to come on when you open doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lewisgregory8

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
DRLs to come on when you open doors
So when i unlock my 14plate defender, the interior lights automatically turn on.

I want to get a bumper with DRLs built in, My next question is…

How would i make the DRLs switch on as i open the doors? (like fancy audi's etc)

I i have an idea in my head i just can't describe it.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks

LEW
Post #295791 4th Jan 2014 8:24pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
You'd need to take a tapping of the alarm unit feed up to the interior light... use this feed to operate a relay... then the switch contacts of the relay can turn on the DRL's

That way, when you open the door manually, the alarm unit will sense the door is open, and turn on the interior light, and when you disarm the alarm (if it's set to do so, mine is...) the interior light will come on, but as you've taken the 12v feed from the alarm unit, not the door switch or any of the other interior wiring, then if you turn the interior light on for any reason, the DRL's won't flash.

I think....assuming the alarm 10AS gives a 12v feed to the interior light, which is switched to earth (I'm sure it is, i'm pretty sure there's two 12v feeds up to the int light... one from the alarm unit, and a permanent feed for when you turn it "on", and either are switched to earth when you move the switch on the light.
Post #295814 4th Jan 2014 9:16pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
**Edited after reading DJ's response above)...

By tapping a positive supply from the interior lights (purple wire from the alarm unit described above) and using it to operate the coil of relay to put on the DRLs. The DRLs would of course have to be wired to the battery. The coil supply would of course also have to be paralelled with an ignition supply too to prevent them extinguishing when the doors are shut.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #295815 4th Jan 2014 9:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Door switches are earth switched so you could use a relay with constant live and have the trigger feed earth switched via a door switch.
This would just turn them on with doors open and off when closed.
The interior light feed would replicate the turn on and off cycle of the interior lights which would be more useful and work bes IMO.
I'm guessing you'll want them on with ignition and driving too of which you'll need to have them set up to do so.
You can have multiple set ups to turn them on if you really need to.
Personally the interior light sync seems the best option and the most factory look. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #295820 4th Jan 2014 9:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Also if you wanted to replicate the interior light system including the switching of Off On constant and On ECU system then you could mode the mixture exactly like I have on my interior lighting.
This allows you to switch on off and on with unlock off with lock and off with ignition.
Sound to me like you will need too power feeds each switched diferently. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #295822 4th Jan 2014 9:30pm
munch90

England 
if you use a proper drl control most I think are voltage sensing so only come when alternator is charging . so you would need to use a normal relay for drls but that way they come on with ign ( drl controllers only come on with engine running alternator charging ) . don't know if this helps at all
Post #295826 4th Jan 2014 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1