Home > Puma (Tdci) > Heater intake cowl
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tony2

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Heater intake cowl
Hi all, question 4. (plenty more to come yet) Laughing

Ok, heater intake raised cowl thingy, do they improve forced airflow into the vehicle without the fan running?
Noticed on both defenders I have driven that the fan, even on speed 1, produces a fair bit of noise.
Has anyone got one fitted and have any (constructive) comments please?
Which one is the most effective, if any?
Thanks Guys........TC. Thumbs Up Its easy to smile and be happy when the world rolls along like a song.
But a mans got style if he can smile when his Land rovers going wrong.
Post #29336 9th Apr 2010 12:34pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I have one.

On a puma i think the fan speed is a) ok anyway and b) not affected by this (well the speeds mine reads are the same as other stationary and moving when read on an annometer)

My reason for having it was sole to stop the cr*p falling in as easily and it also looks a bit better.

On the v8 and the 300 defenders it improved flow no end. Mike
Post #29337 9th Apr 2010 1:08pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
cowl
Me too.
I have the cowls and the reason for it is to stop the 'crud' getting in as the KBX cowls for the intakes have a wire mesh to stop ingress. I also have them for the air intake.
No perceptable difference in noise and the heater blower is noisy but bearable - it's a Defender after all.

'El Pepe Flamenco' JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #29339 9th Apr 2010 1:22pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I don't think there can be any "ram" effect with these, as the "aerodynamics" of the Defender means that air is pushed well clear of the heater vents, so the relative speed of the air on top of the wings is virtually zero.

I've deduced this from my own observations with a snow-covered bonnet and wings Cool
Post #29340 9th Apr 2010 1:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Talking of wire mesh and crud, I have a big sheet of fine wire mesh which i have intended to cut to size and attach behind the plastic grille to stop damage to the fins on the radiator which make it less efficient.

Some of this could also be attached to the back of the original heater cowl to stop cr@p getting in. Might try it.
Post #29341 9th Apr 2010 2:00pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Cowl and mesh
Good thinking Batman!! JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #29342 9th Apr 2010 2:05pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I've never really had a problem with crud getting in. There's a drain hole towards the rear of the cavity under the wing that is designed to let any water ingress drain away. It is worth periodically (like every year) taking the cover off the wing intake and freeing up the valve to ensure it isn't caked with crap.

I agree with Martin that I think the ram effect will be negligible - it may even reduce the intake by virtue of there being a smaller aperture to draw from.

However, also agree with MSE - if you live underneath a tree and crud is being dropped on the LR all the time then a cover would be a bonus. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29392 9th Apr 2010 11:28pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Because i am sad and was bored - ok we were moving house and packing the garage up wasnt on my top 10 interests and the drivers side one (which i havent fitted, needed to go in a box).

I measured the type i have which is the LRX or whatever the name is version - the one that has several smaller "rams" against one big ram

The opening apature of each (they get bigger from front to rear) is actually greater than the original flat opening - this wouldnt be the same on the other type (like that i had on the vCool as the square entry is clearly smaller...although it did push the air through - so much so, i didnt notice the fuse had gone in the heater on one journey in it as the heater was blowing well (and the v8 noise you couldnt hear silly things like the fan...you wouldnt want to Mr. Green )

I think like the comments above, dont buy it for extra push through, buy it for crud protection (that works i can confirm and is easier in the snow to clear) Mike
Post #29419 10th Apr 2010 10:00am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
You really did have too much time on your hands Very Happy One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #29553 12th Apr 2010 5:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1