↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Wiring multiple speakers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Wiring multiple speakers
OK, so this may have been answered, in a form, before, but I know little about how to actually get good sound.

What I have: - 2x rear speakers to go into the rear speaker trims, and 2 6x9s which I'm going to put in the holes with the riveted panels in the bulkhead.

- some ridiculously thick speaker cable (the stuff you'd' normally expect for an amp). I've also since bought some more adequate speaker cable.

WhatI plan to do:

I don't intend or want to get a sub or amp, because I want to keep the rear space completely free of panels or boxes high up. (Can't put it under any seats either)

I don't have enough spare connector points in the plug to make each of the 4 speakers individual - only two.

What I was thinking was running the thinner cable from the rear speakers on each side, to the 6x9s, and then from the 6x9s running the thicker the rest of the way to the head unit, and then having (for the sake of fading) LEFT being both the left rear speaker, and the left 6x9 and obviously RIGHT for the RH rear, and RH 6x9

Would this actually any good?

Cheers 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #295395 3rd Jan 2014 11:58am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
It will work if a little unortadox Confused personally would run a single feed to each speaker and join behind the head unit as you describe, keeping left and right seperate. Strange to only have a 2 chanel output these days ??? If you have speakers in the front already, would probably wire them with the small speakers in the rear on the left channel and 6x9 by themselves on the right channel. The 6x9 will require more juice to work then hence why putting on there own Thumbs Up Piggy backingthe spekers will not allow you to change the set up without running new cables. You don't need the heavier cable, but if you have it use it
Post #295414 3rd Jan 2014 1:24pm
Interlet

Cheers, I actually have a 4 channel output, but the front ones are already wired in. I suppose I could do it that way too! 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #295419 3rd Jan 2014 1:39pm
barbel jim

Definatly wire them seperate then Thumbs Up You'll be able to play around to see what sounds best. Think you'll fine 4 smaller and 6x9 seperat best but you'll be able to see Thumbs Up An amp would make it sound better still as a head unit will struggle to power all them Wink
Post #295421 3rd Jan 2014 1:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you have more channel outputs use them, it allows you more adjustment and control from the HU alone.
Tapping in etc isn't normally the done thing as each speaker is meant to have its own designated channel.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #295422 3rd Jan 2014 1:51pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If I've understood correctly you want to run 4 speakers in parallel from the head unit. If so I wouldn't recommend it as I think that would be making the two channels run at 2 ohms which I don't think many (if any) head unit built in amps are supposed to do. Also I think the sound quality would be poor at best! If your head unit has RCA pre outs amps are cheap and easy to wire up and the front speakers could still be run from the head unit.
Post #295425 3rd Jan 2014 2:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
A nice 4 channel amp would do the trick nicely. Thumbs Up Up the power then anyway. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #295428 3rd Jan 2014 2:12pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'd just use the 6x9's in the back, they're usually a pretty good speaker with mid and a little bit of bass.

Adding other speakers will "spread" the sound, but reduce the volume and quality, and as said, unless you mess around with series-parallel wiring (which would be difficult with just 2 speakers per channel anyway) you may overload the amp in the H/U
Post #295430 3rd Jan 2014 2:13pm
barbel jim

Taking the single feeds back to the headunit will allow you to wire them in series, which then should bring it back to 4 ohms Thumbs Up Having the 6x9 does make the rear ones pointless, as they won't add anything. Think we all agree on the amp route Wink Wink
Post #295481 3rd Jan 2014 5:49pm
Interlet

Cheers guys, some things to think about, at least! 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #295483 3rd Jan 2014 5:56pm
theorangebandit

Wire in a compact 4 channel amp under Driver seat yhen run the cables from that the the speakers this will distribute sound corrwctly. im currently and mega slowly isntalling the same setup to my 110 with an extra set of componants. All I need to do is buy yet morw cable and make the wooden trim panels for the rear Windows and rivnut them in
Post #295493 3rd Jan 2014 6:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1