↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > MY Defender 50th GB 370
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
MY Defender 50th GB 370
Ive just posted this on the Defender 50th site I thought it was only fair to add to my other favorite site. Thumbs Up

Following my purchase of Defender 50th no. GB370 back in December to match my 60th SVX no. 185 (half of 370=185 get it?) Ive had to wait until the weather has finally broken to start the part refurbishment.
So armed with nearly a month off work to cause some damage/repair to the 50th and to progress with other Land Rover projects I start by stripping off the rusty rear tow step and rotten through fuel tank carrier, once removed along with the tank I set to work with the rest of the chassis (athough in good sound order having been before and aftered 5 years ago) rust was starting to come through, With wheels side steps and stainless exhaust also removed and all up to working hight I rubbed down the rust and lightly sprayed on some celly thinners to loosen surface of the old waxoyl I then sprayed and injected over several litres of black waxoyl onto the chassis and lower bulkhead thus giving a good finish and lasting rust protection although I will give it the once over as with all my Land Rovers once a year.
Next was to strip down to almost bare metal the rusty/brush painted rear crossmember I then rust converted,sand,1" stonechip,grey prime,sand,lightly grey prime then 10 sprayed coats of matte black to give the "factory look" (I hate shiney crossmembers on land Rovers it shows all imperfections) refit petrol tank athough with a ratchet strap awaiting a replacement carrier.
Whilst looking for a tank carrier with little joy and as the stealers want £136+ vat with 15% discount Ive decided to fabricate my own (for the time being) from 5mm chequer plate renforced with 2.5mm steel tube bent and formed, and now fitted in my opinion gives a acceptable and stronger substitute although not the factory look!.
The vehicle came with SVX alloys fitted and however nice they are but as we all know not standard and as Ive got a set of anniversary/Disco es alloys on a 90 of mine ive temporlly swapped wheels for the firestyles off my 110 csw until a suitable time comes when I can get the vehicles logisticlly placed side by side to swap (i.e my 90 with anni wheels is at work with no tax and the 50th is at home no tax some 50 miles apart).
After a full service including gear oil+filter ( V8 zf box filter what a joke!!! it took 2 hours to remove the crossmember then I snapped a sump bolt stud another hour, 2 mins to change the filter, 1 hour to refit the crossmember and refill with new oil compare with disco 300tdi auto half hour!!!! labour intensive or what?). I Removed all the chequer plate plate protection cleaned and clear waxoyled underneath then refitted with new and copperslipped allen countersunk bolts.
Next was to remove the horrid silver stripe tha run along the barrel sides of the body only to find the "bottom end" had been painted sometime within the 50ths 12 years, although done to a good standard (I couldnt tell until I had removed the stripe) although in time I intend to totally respray at this time it still looks good with the original paint so I took on the painfull task and cut down the "new" laquer down to the old , It took me a whole day of 600/1200 wet+dry, faclay G3, Tcut then wax but Ive got it and without going through the laquer .
So now we almost there to having a "good 50th" not that it was bad before with full service history and 74k miles? Ive refitted the tank carrier+ new mud flaps alround and removed wipac spotlights with a view to finding some safari 5000s to match the genuine A Bar+loom (if you know of some ) thenthere to replace the cracked rear wheel arch and hinges (to be refitted with stainless allen bolts) which ive got ready to fit in paint (does any one know the correct paint code or good suppier for Atlantis Blue as my paint supplier has given me what I would describe as too Gold/Greeny colour? or could it be my spraying?) and I am in desperate need of a rear door Im going for the TD5/Puma one piece affair as the others dont last the time it takes to fit (again if you know of one at sensible money ).
Once I refit the rear tow step and get this paint sorted look forward to some 50th and 60th together pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Formerly mao99999
16 Focus RS Nitrous Blue.
11 FFRR TDV8 Vouge SE Black Black.
08 DEFENDER SVX SOFT TOP (SUPERB)
08 DEFENDER 110 DCPU Stornoway grey (Overland Exploration Unit)
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
04 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Supercharged V8
02 DEFENDER 90 TD5 (next years soft top project)
95 DEFENDER 110 CSW 300 TDi Phoenix black
95 DEFENDER 90 HT Monti Carlo blue COUNTY 300 TDi
67 109" SERIES 2a TUNED 200 TDI
64 DAVID BROWN 990 rat look
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #28883 2nd Apr 2010 10:44pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
a very neat job,what have painted the rear cross member with 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #28904 3rd Apr 2010 8:19am
PumaGreg

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Tamar Blue
Nice wagon indeed Very Happy

I had a 50th for a few years - just a fantasic Land Rover with a V8 and auto box.

Would have love to have kept the 50th (which was a nice one - like you have) when I got the 60th. But space/increase in annual mileage/finances/the wife meant that it had to go Big Cry .............. I miss it! Greg

Currently:
2013 90 2.2 Puma Base Station Wagon
1991 90 Tdi
2015 Discovery Sport 2.2
Post #29003 4th Apr 2010 6:37pm
Joe90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
What can I say, that's a very nice looking ninety!! Smile
Post #29005 4th Apr 2010 6:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discocuzzy

England 
Are you going to take it back to original spec?, also looks like its been lifted? You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #29016 4th Apr 2010 8:34pm
Defender SVX

Grockle wrote:
a very neat job,what have painted the rear cross member with

I painted the xmember with car plan brushable matt black thinned with celly thinners bout 50-50 so I could spray it and about 10 light even coates.

Yeah it has been lifted and I want it to look standard so the springs and shocks are going on my other soft top project 90, it does look a bit better since I refitted the rear mudflaps Thumbs Up Formerly mao99999
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #29025 5th Apr 2010 7:23am
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
?? Is it safe to have a vehicle on x 4 axle stands?

Steve Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #29064 5th Apr 2010 8:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McS

Scotland 
Of course it is, provided they're rated to the weight of the vehicle and spaced far enough apart to ensure the vehicle's stable.

Ross The Scotia Winch Challenge
Post #29067 5th Apr 2010 8:25pm
Defender SVX

Just an update with some new photos with the correct wheels fitted. New TD5/puma one piece rear door found and collected soon to be primed/painted then fitted with new stainless fastenings and the rear tow step to return from shot blast (its taking some time) then that will be filler primed + resprayed into 2k super black then? well pretty much done small cosmetic interior and slight water leak (sunroofs again) .

I dont know where to go afterwards, its been "lifted" recently with good quality gear only 1", should I stock suspension it or leave it? which looks better on a 50th? Im thinking stock.

Once ive fitted the rear door and done the rest of the minor work I dont know what to do, Im going to re-tax at the end of the month and have a little use, a photo shoot with the SVX and maybe a show or two (almost certain Im going to Gaydon) but after, its project complete, job done.

My hobbie is repairing and restoring Land Rovers I personally due to the nature of my work do not enjoy driving (a Sunday morning blast in a v8 is a busmans holiday to me, my SVX has done 1000 miles in a 1 1/2 year ). As much as I love the sound and appeal of my first Rover V8, once its complete and as clean/factoy and original as can be practically possible Im going to be bored.

So im possibly looking to sell or exchange for another project 50th/Heritage or mostly Tomb Raider 110.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Formerly mao99999
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #29403 9th Apr 2010 10:56pm
Defender SVX

McS wrote:
Of course it is, provided they're rated to the weight of the vehicle and spaced far enough apart to ensure the vehicle's stable.

Ross

100% correct Thumbs Up The fronts are weight stamped 5 tonne and really are hardcore items(trust them with my life) the rears rated 2 tonne, not great but well well stable I trust them with my life also (we've had a series 11b forward control stood on them for a year).

There's no subsitute for safe jacking and lifting equipment+methods (no ifs no buts) dodgy gear is going to hurt you!!!!!

I trust my gear I work with it almost daily/weekly and always inspected after and before use.

You may notice the rear axle stands are mounted on wood this is to avoid slip and they are hardwood chocks and after jacking and placed these are in my opinion better than solid ground and super strong.

The worst jacking tool ive ever found is the hi lift jack its dangerous ive got a 5ft one and its not stable!!! USE YOUR GLOVES and still watch your fingers dangerous tool. I personally have stopped useing it totally dangerous,
Really take this advice from someone that really knows these are good for off road only!!!!!!! I use a American oil riggers jack "quick lift" old railway jack expensive but safer (how much do you value your hands ) Thumbs Up
Post #29407 10th Apr 2010 12:22am
discocuzzy

England 
Nice wagon Sir Thumbs Up

I think the 50th looks best totally standard as it came out of the showroom.
If you want top dollar when you sell it, as they are now becoming collectable, most enthusiasts will be drawn to a totally original example.
Lose the lift and rear fuel tank gaurd i recon, but still a nice truck all the same Thumbs Up You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #29429 10th Apr 2010 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1