Home > Technical > F3 Horn gremlin.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
randallised

Ireland 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
F3 Horn gremlin.
Hi guys

The 110 (05) sw I have has an intermittent fault, the worse ones to diagnose, it blows F3 fuse under drivers seat. When the horn is pressed. Have replaced switch, horn, wiring from switch to horn. Has anyone else had a similar problem on another forum there is mention of the alarm relay playing up ? guess this is the next port of call. LR main dealer say its not a problem they are aware off, auto electrician thought he fixed it - short in radio loom, after relieving me of my hard earnt. MOT is the problem. Sods law it will stop when being tested.

Any help appreciated thanks.
Post #291421 18th Dec 2013 2:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
martinfiattech

England 
hello,
have you tryied and this may sound a bit daft replace horn with 12v bulb (this will replace horn in circuit to allow quite testing keeping next door happy) so when horn pressed light on and no noise but circuit in use.

change horn fuse for test lamp wired in series to replace fuse this when lit will show short to ground if it does not light no short, jam horn switch on wiggle all wires if bulb across lights you've found your short to ground.

I have been doing it this way for years and saved many fuses, shown it to a guy who spent lots on a power probe short finder thing and he couldent fix it I did with the above.

As for MOT wire in separate switch write horn on it as long as within reach of driver in normal vehicle operation its covered I am an mot tester and that's what it says in the manual vosa 2013 issue

hope this helps martin
Post #291521 18th Dec 2013 9:52pm
randallised

Ireland 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks will give it a try at the weekend.
Post #291544 18th Dec 2013 11:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1