↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Minirig Sub
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Minirig Sub
Just throwing this out there to the car audio enthusiasts on here... I'm thinking about getting the Minirig Active Sub (and speakers) http://minirigs.co.uk/portable-subwoofer at some point, and just wondered if there would be an easy way of using it for the Defender too?
It has 3.5mm audio jack input (from the headphone socket on your phone/ipod etc), and is rechargeable.

So I don't think it would run it off speaker outputs, but I wondered if it would run off a Sub output from a head unit?
Tech spec. says input is 5v to 12v DC @ 500mA - not sure if thats the audio in, or charging in...

I realise it's not as good a solution as a proper car sub, but for me it would be rather a sweet 'dual use' for the kit on long car journeys (6hrs runtime on max., 20hrs med. so should be plenty), after which I could remove it, recharge it, and use it for audio at my destination...
I would probably secure it with velcro straps or something, to the rear of the cubby. Then when I'm carrying loads it would be removed and out of harms way.

A good idea? Any ideas if it could be run from the head unit?
Post #286745 1st Dec 2013 2:12pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Would work the same as the old skool beat box in the car.....set up on the dash and play. Never herd of mini rigs???? and would want to hear before I parted with my hard earned. Why would you want it to run via your head unit ? surley you'd just use your phone or simular ??? It would give you dual use, but not that tidy in my opinion
Post #286892 1st Dec 2013 9:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jim's summed it up above really. Thumbs Up Not heard of it either. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #286943 1st Dec 2013 10:52pm
Ads90

The Minirig has been well rated on various sites, Gadget Show etc. - I'm quite happy that's its quality kit, made in UK too!
The sub along with the mid-range separate speakers have been on my wish list for some time, to replace my ageing Logitech iPod dock as a portable 2.1 sound system. Bit expensive & maybe less tidy compared to a Bose dock or similar, but would give you proper stereo separation and it just appeals to me.

Anyway - maybe I didn't make it clear - the bit I'm referring to (to connect to the car head unit) is just the active sub.
My phone already plays thru the head unit, but like most on here I just recognise the advantages of adding a sub to improve the in-car sound.

Maybe my idea of having a sub for use both in and out of the car is a little unusual, and is not going to appeal to many, so I guess I should just make this a tech question:
Does anyone know if the sub output from a typical head unit (phono output) would be of a compatible nature i.e. voltage/impedance/whatever to that of a headphone jack output on a typical phone/iPod?

If it is, I see no reason why it shouldn't work, and I can make up the leads myself - I just wouldn't want to harm either unit if there was an incompatibility!
If no one is sure, I'll try avforums.
Post #286981 2nd Dec 2013 2:06am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Alot of head units have outputs on rca leads around 2 to 4 v, so it would appear the signal voltage should be compatable. If you can find the tech spec for your head unit, it should tell you. I think your AV forum would possibly give you a more definative answer. Thumbs Up
Post #286986 2nd Dec 2013 7:52am
mark_d

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I suspect it will be OK, but no one can say for sure without knowing the input impedance of the sub.
Why not fire off an email to them?
The input impedance of a typical car amplifier is >10kohm and if the Minirig is the same then it should not cause the head unit any problems.
The output voltage from a headunit preout is probably a bit higher than a typical headphone jack output.
Earphone impedances are generally much lower than this as they need to draw enough current to move the voice coils.
I think it would be a very bad design if they are using a low input impedance, there is no good reason for doing it.
Is the sub output level independently adjustable and/or does the Minirig have a volume control? This will be important if it is going to work as the bass level is very likely to be too high (distorted) on default settings. http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #286987 2nd Dec 2013 8:02am
Ads90

Thanks Jim, Mark.
I shall try sending an email for the input spec.

There is no volume control on the speakers - obviously they would normally just be controlled by the volume on the iPod etc., but that's a good point regarding setting a suitable level for the sub... I suppose most in-car subs have their own volume control for this?
I think these speakers do have two input sockets, one set at a higher amp than the other, for very basic control - meant for running at quieter v. party level.

I haven't looked at the menus on my head unit, but can you normally control the sub-out levels?
I'm thinking this would help if the levels were too high, for instance, but not if they are too low...
Post #287009 2nd Dec 2013 10:56am
Ads90

Sent the email to Minirigs - reply came through 11mins later, which I thought was rather good!

The signal level should be ok. But it depends whether the sub-out is a fixed level signal or varies with your headset volume. There are two gain inputs on the sub so you might be able to get things about right. It also depends on where you place your sub and how loud your engine is on how effective the setup will be. I would recommend trying to use some kind of volume control on the signal.

Hope this helps.

I lol-ed on engine noise - it may be that the output is not as strong as a proper in-car unit... Confused
So the questions are still as above - any ideas?

BTW - check out the amazon reviews if you are interested http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0065L7GUU
Post #287017 2nd Dec 2013 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1