Home > Td5 > TD5 fuel/running problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisJ

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
TD5 fuel/running problem
Hi guys.

I have recently been offered an 06 plate td5, 60k on the clock but it does have a running issue and I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on what the problem may be before I take the plunge.

So with a full tank she runs perfectly, no issues at all, once down to just around half a tank she struggles to start and runs very roughly when she is going. Current owner hase had the 90 checked by a local garage who have replace the fuel filter and some piping.

My first thought is the fuel pump but would it not struggle to start all the time? could it be an injector problem or would oil in the harness be a cause?

Thanks in advance.
Post #285781 27th Nov 2013 9:38pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
First thoughts would be in tank fuel pump.

Does it start better after prime proceedure?
Is pump noisy?
Can you always hear pump running?

Andy
Post #285791 27th Nov 2013 9:58pm
ChrisJ

Thanks for your reply Andy.

No I wouldn't say it does start any easier after priming, the fuel is very noisy and almost like its struggling but only with around the half tank, once above half it's fine.

My fist thought was the fuel pump I just thought it a bit strange with the half full thing.

Thanks
Post #285800 27th Nov 2013 10:09pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
There could be a problem with the pump filter or collection pipe inside the tank. Has a hole been cut to see the top of the pump?

Andy
Post #285803 27th Nov 2013 10:13pm
ChrisJ

No, no cutting, I would say the garage has not even took the tank off or looked at the pump at all, they seem to thinks its all to much trouble so the chap is looking to move it on rather than spend any More on it.

I'm just looking for some ideas on what it could be so that I don't end up with a money pit, do you think it's more likely to be pump related rather than engine related as in injectors etc.

Thanks
Post #285808 27th Nov 2013 10:25pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Sounds a lot like my current annoyance. I have a feeling that it is down to either the return valve or the air bleed valve in the top of the filter housing. If I do the prime sequence it doesn't really improve starting, does help but doesn't cure it but I have been running the tank low recently. It has done this before and after a run of poor starting but no problems when running, it just decides to play ball and go back to being normal and start as soon as the starter motor turns. The last run of this was in August and it's done 5k miles since. The fuel pump on mine is noisy, it has been for the past 4 years with no change, sometimes it is quieter with a brimfull tank but not allways.
Post #285820 27th Nov 2013 10:58pm
JWL

Managed a double post, sorry, Embarassed me being hamfisted
Post #285821 27th Nov 2013 10:58pm
ChrisJ

Thanks for the reply that's really helpful.

Do you think it could be drawing air through the system? Or faulty return valve allowing the fuel to run back?

I suppose when thinking a bit more about it, it does sound more like a fuel feed problem firstly then once the line has cleared/ filled its ok, this one does run a bit rough though, I wonder if the pump has been damaged by the original fault.

Thanks
Post #285829 27th Nov 2013 11:24pm
JWL

It wouldn't hurt to get a Nanocom/Hawkeye plugged in if you could find someone local to take a live data copy and then get an idea of what else could be problematic as it seems that it has been unloved.
Post #285830 27th Nov 2013 11:33pm
Splitpin

United Kingdom 
Tank breather perhaps, is there a vacume inside the tank?

Have you tried opening the that filler cap?

I had a van once where you would need to open the cap after 100 miles!!
Post #285873 28th Nov 2013 7:11am
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
I'm with splitpin. V8 90...WIP
Post #285885 28th Nov 2013 9:11am
JWL

Having a bit of a ponder at the moment. My 2002 Td5 is being a pain to start, has got worse over the past couple of days, it is definately a lack of diesel to the injectors. As soon as it has been parked for more than 5 minutes there is not enough fuel in the system to start, it might catch but then stop, probably what's left from the FPR. After going through the prime sequence it still takes some winding over to encourage enough fuel to run. The FPR was replaced recently as well as the injector seals and washers, I'm veering away from any causes there because as soon as it's running there are no power or idling issues whatsoever.
My thoughts are either the non return valve or the air bleed valve on the filter housing so today I thought to get out there and investigate. Turns out there is not a non return valve fitted and the air bleed valve is there but I can't make head nor tail whether it is working as it should or not. There is a plastic shuttle in the filter side but I can't seem to blow or suck through it no matter whether the thing is pulled out or pushed in. Looks like I'll just have to go and get another one to rule it out. Pity I can't "borrow" one off someone elses but everybody I know with a Td5 need their motors as well!
Anybody else got any ideas on the initial lack of pressure in the system, I can't really feel that there's much blame at the pump due to the perfect running when started.
Post #286082 28th Nov 2013 9:04pm
Paulv8

So what happens if you switch to position II and wait before starting? surely the fuel pump should pressurize the entire system in readiness to start? V8 90...WIP
Post #286088 28th Nov 2013 9:25pm
JWL

Pump runs, you can hear it "presurizing" the system but there is no diesel there to start the engine, it's allmost if it is just sending it back to the tank as you would expect if there is no use for the diesel at the injectors.
Post #286095 28th Nov 2013 9:31pm
Paulv8

I am no expert, but well my understanding is that the tank pump pressurises the system and the fpr ensures there is suitable pressure at the injectors, it returns any un-needed fuel to the tank via the return pipe. if it wont start, but does eventually, it sounds like air leaking into the head side of the fuel system to me, but I don't know enough about that side of the system to diagnose.

Sorry chap. V8 90...WIP
Post #286101 28th Nov 2013 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>