↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Crossovers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jimsadventure

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
Crossovers
Right ,, got a set of focal speakers , comes with fronts as per defender spec size , rears are bigger than standard but have modified pods to fit .. Tweeters are in ,, now for the crossovers , never fitted a set of these , are they straight forward and do I really need them ?? , will they make any difference to the end result ,, where have you guys fitted the crossovers in the truck ?? Thumbs Up
Post #284068 21st Nov 2013 6:55pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
i double sided sticky taped it to the side of the dash... space is right in there, and the difference is huge. focals are well worth the price. just wish i could figure a decent sub to match them
Post #284069 21st Nov 2013 6:58pm
jimsadventure

Thanks for that , will check it out in the morning , next question is , have a clarion head unit DVD sat nav thingy , I want this in the svx but it doesn't work with the sub that's built into the cubby box , I get the unit to work itself but no bass unit , Ido I need a different connection ??
Post #284090 21st Nov 2013 7:49pm
Baldinho

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Customsteve will be along shortly no doubt, he's v helpful. I'm doing the same as you on Saturday with the Focals, found a vey good photo on this link on how to do crossovers:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18027....p;start=30
Post #284101 21st Nov 2013 8:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jim (I assume) - You definitely will need the cross overs they divide frequency so the the tweeters only receive the higher frequencies they are designed to work on. I haven't had any dealing with Focal myself but from Barbel Jim (another d2 user and focal owner) informs me that some are adjustable. He would be your man to ask about this ideally as he is an owner, assuming of course yours has this too. He may well even post here which would be good.
Running without the cross over even temporary risks damage to them rendering them useless in some cases.
(I think I made this mistake myself once Embarassed )
The actual fitting should be very simple really only the positive and negatives to connect I peach side.
The Sub not working could be physical I.e. Not connected correctly or perhaps on the HU the Sub out (or similar setting) is not turned on. What connections do you have?

Baldinho - Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #284110 21st Nov 2013 9:22pm
jimsadventure

Baldinho wrote:
Customsteve will be along shortly no doubt, he's v helpful. I'm doing the same as you on Saturday with the Focals, found a vey good photo on this link on how to do crossovers:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18027....p;start=30

Cheers for the link fella , think i have it now , if i get stuck i will let ya know
Post #284152 21st Nov 2013 11:54pm
jimsadventure

custom90steve wrote:
Jim (I assume) - You definitely will need the cross overs they divide frequency so the the tweeters only receive the higher frequencies they are designed to work on. I haven't had any dealing with Focal myself but from Barbel Jim (another d2 user and focal owner) informs me that some are adjustable. He would be your man to ask about this ideally as he is an owner, assuming of course yours has this too. He may well even post here which would be good.
Running without the cross over even temporary risks damage to them rendering them useless in some cases.
(I think I made this mistake myself once Embarassed )
The actual fitting should be very simple really only the positive and negatives to connect I peach side.
The Sub not working could be physical I.e. Not connected correctly or perhaps on the HU the Sub out (or similar setting) is not turned on. What connections do you have?

Baldinho - Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input bud ,, my crossovers are adjustable , will be trial and error i guess to set them up for best sound results but im open to as much advice on this subject as poss .. As for the sub/amp in the svx ,, there are two block looking connectors at the back of the HU,, my new clarion plug will go into one of them , but no sound from it , the bass unit that is , the new HU has amp cables on the back , do i plug the amp cables that are there into the cables from the new HU, the amp cables in the dash plugged into the back of the standard unit , there was no cables on this unit , just plugged into HU.. Give me an engine to strip anyday than try to sort out stereos .. Sorry if this sounds confusing ,, its bloody confusing me Big Cry
Post #284160 22nd Nov 2013 12:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1