↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > My Td5 has taken a new direction
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
My Td5 has taken a new direction
This afternoon on my way back from a camping trip suddenly lost power and stopped on me coming up to a road junction, allways has to be a busy one, I apologise(sort of) to those trying to approach the bridge at Stratford on Avon.
As I coasted up to the junction I became aware that the ignition lights had come on, pulled onto the side and I couldn't hear the fuel pump when I got out though the wind was a blowin' and there was quite a lot of traffic noise. Pulled up the drivers seat, waggled a few wires round the relays. It wouldn't start(lack of diesel) did the prime sequence and away it went. Then I got as far as the MacDonalds on the bypass at Alcester 10/12miles further on, pulled into the carpark and it did it again. Again there was no pump noise but it kicked in as soon as I turned off then switched the ignition back on. This time I gave the relays a good wire pull, did the prime and it started again. While it was running I tugged, twisted, pulled the loom and couldn't get any falter in the running.
Had a cheeseburger or two, at least the boys did then a further 5 to 6 miles up the road it started faltering, loosing power and as a layby was coming up I pulled in but couldn't get it to tick over and it stopped again.
The first time it did it there was around a third of a tank of diesel, I put £40 in at Stratford so when it did it again it was over 2/3 full. I checked the oil level, hovering about the min level, about the same as when I had checked it a couple of days ago. Took the oil filler cap off, no whiff of diesel, so no apparent internal leak. No leaks of diesel on the FPR valve or any telltales any where else. Air filter was dry, small collection of insects, turned the filter round 180' just in case there was a duff spot in the filter. Put my hand over the intake side of the MAF sensor and would have stalled the engine if I'd have kept it on. Couldn't think of anything else so pluged in my laptop to the Nanocom and got one of the boys to monitor it as we drove along.
What we were finding is that whenever I was loosing power the cylinder imbalance was giving some very low readings, cylinders 3 and 4 were hitting up to -40's whilst when it was driving as normal lowest would be -4 to +3. the others occasionally gave readings up to -35 when it was really struggling. The flat spots would occour when the throttle is backed off, downhill and when you asked it to pull up the other side it would suffer power loss and the extreme readings would happen. Foot flat to the floorand it would eventually pick up and we'd fly. tried gentle acceleration and there was no real difference in reaction. Quickest way of getting it to recover was to dip the clutch and keep the throttle down.
Got back to Hereford with a few more episodes but kept it going untill I got home ending up having to coast the last 50 yards. I had to prime it again to start it mainly to turn it round to park it and the Sankey I had with me so everybody else could drive up and down our street.
Question is; anybody got any ideas? I'm going to look at the ECU plugs tomorrow for oil ingress, I'll do a fuel filter change, swop the relays under the seat. I'll try to do them one at a time to see if any of those make a difference unless somebody can relate to the problem.
Post #277388 27th Oct 2013 11:27pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Check your fuel pump relay connections.
If necessary, close lucar terminals slightly to improve connection.
Check your charging voltage, the relay is very voltage consious. 
Post #277389 27th Oct 2013 11:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
My had similar symptoms and turned out to be injector seals and washers. It was pulling in air and killed the engine till I did the fuel purge sending fuel back to the engine. Only use genuine seals and washers if changing (it's cheap enough just to rule it out)as I've heard bad things with non gen.
Post #277397 27th Oct 2013 11:50pm
JWL

Charging wise, I'm confident that there's no problem there, was reading well on the Nanocom.
Injector seals and washers, I did them a couple of months ago plus there was no whiff of diesel when I took a sniff when I took the oil filler cap off, and no rise of sump level.

I've a feeling that this is more an electrical signal shutting off the pump causing fuel starvation which at the moment is steering me to the injector harness, dodgy relay, blah blah, it only ends when it behaves itself Rolling Eyes
Post #277402 28th Oct 2013 12:04am
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
I think the pump has had it.
Post #277405 28th Oct 2013 12:22am
JWL

I was trying not to think about the inevitable Sad
Post #277406 28th Oct 2013 12:27am
JWL

Found a probable cause Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Having a more methodical check without the pressures of kids, dogs and just wanting to get home after a couple of nights basic camping I pulled the red plug and it was swimming! Should have done this months ago, it WILL be a more regular check now Thumbs Up
Post #277439 28th Oct 2013 10:20am
jimbob7

FFS,people dont believe me when when I tell em Defenders leak engine oil under the drivers seat!! Fingers crossed eh?
Post #277445 28th Oct 2013 10:45am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
I had a simular problem on my old 90 I changed the fuel pump and it developed it after that ended up being a non return valve in the filer housing letting by I just changed the hole filter housing Thumbs Up

Hope you find the cause engine oil back that far isn't a good sign either but I think it would run rough not just cut out

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #277454 28th Oct 2013 11:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

It will be a combination of causes, just been out, when I got in to start it after being left for an hour it wasn't an instant start(aa if there was diesel starvation), that points to the non return valve in the filter housing. It goes through little blips in reliability like this..........gives them their own character Rolling Eyes
Post #277459 28th Oct 2013 11:39am
JWL

The engine oil will be the legacy of leakimg injector washers and seals a couple of months ago. With the dilution of the oil with the addition of diesl which then makes it easier to travel down the wiring loom and going on a longer run than usual warmed it up, thinned it even more and therefore could travel easier.
Post #277460 28th Oct 2013 11:43am
Carlosbeldia

Columbia 2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I've had that 2 times:

- Fuel pump gone... intermitent internal failure until one day it died.
- Fuel pump connector (the harness that goes direct to the fuel pump, the black connector) making bad ground. Had to take the connector and put the cables through direct pins.
Post #277545 28th Oct 2013 5:58pm
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I had a fault that caused my engine to starve and battle to start, ones purged she would run, then start to deteriorate, after some expensive part replacements i noticed my fuel filter cover was needing some attention and so i took it off to reveal a very small leak so i fixed it and that was that.. Problem solved. it was the plug that was leaking.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hope this helps..
Post #277636 28th Oct 2013 10:13pm
JWL

I must admit to be drawn to this, especially as I've had it happen before but it's all dirty under there Whistle I'll kick my backside into gear when I get a little peace from the kids who are doing their damndest to wind me up as it's half term Rolling Eyes
Post #277669 28th Oct 2013 11:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1