↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Locking wheel nut - Stuck!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
gbmud

2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Belize Green
^^^^

Very similar to the ones fitted to our Freelander2, of which one was already badly damaged by the time we bought it at 14 months - the centre of one nut was missing as if punched through. As you say, they look most inconvenient to remove without the tool - or with a nut so damaged that the tool cannot apply much torque!

Chris
Post #255620 2nd Aug 2013 1:22pm
ken

United Kingdom 
@sock

Ditch them Thatcham ap rubbish same as current BMW fitment many master kits out there plus they shear
Post #255622 2nd Aug 2013 1:33pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Came to use the new locking wheel nut tool for the first time and it split! Sad 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #260877 23rd Aug 2013 7:04pm
Johnnyb0

United Kingdom 
Wheel nuts and windy guns.
Hi all, only had my Puma for a couple of months now and decided to check the security /tightness of the wheel nuts. It has SVX alloys fitted. I have a Halfords extendable wheel brace with a 27mm deep drive socket. At least two nuts on each wheel would not budge. Tried a two ft. Breaker bar and same result. It took a 3/4" 1 meter breaker bar with reducer to shift the nuts. No doubt wound on by a monkey with a windy gun at the dealers. I hate to think what I would have done if I had got a puncture? Now all torqued up to the recommended figure. Move easily with the Halfrauds wheel brace. Very Happy Just a wee note of caution if you don't do your own servicing.
Post #267534 17th Sep 2013 9:25pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Hope you checked the mating faces of the wheels very carefully. I had a similar issue with a dealer after servicing and found two wheels had actually cracked.

I got the wheels replaced.
Post #267546 17th Sep 2013 10:33pm
Shep

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Are the torque figures with dry threads or lubed?

Mine were all painfully dry when i took them off, i didnt want to lube them with copper slip for obvious reasons, but it would be nice to put something on them? I used a splash of acf50, i expect the wheels to fall off at any time now Big Cry A man with no boat is a prisoner
Post #267555 17th Sep 2013 11:01pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
There has been a debate on here before regarding whether to copper slip wheel bolt threads or not, i have always applied copper slip or similar to my wheel bolts on all makes of car and never had an issue with them.

just my personal opinion. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #267556 17th Sep 2013 11:09pm
Johnnyb0

United Kingdom 
Wheel nuts.
Thanks for that Supscat. Actually, no I didn't. The old bulbs ain't what they used to be and I wasn't wearing my specs. I'll remove the wheel nuts again and inspect with a magnifying glass and bright light. Mines still under warranty so it's worth the effort. Love this site. As they say, "every day's a school day". Like to gain from the knowledge and experience of those who have tread the same path. Wink
Post #267557 17th Sep 2013 11:10pm
Johnnyb0

United Kingdom 
Wheel nuts.
First of all I'm not a mechanic. And a little knowledge and all that..... There was a post from someone who ran a garage who said they they would sack any employee who would use copper grease on the wheel nuts. I had difficulty in " cracking" the nuts. They all went with a bang using considerable force. Not sure whether I was right or not but I put a little grease on the face of the washer/ wheel but kept the threads free of grease. I'll leave that one for the professionals to say yea or nea. The washers were starting to rust tho ??? I checked the nuts after two weeks and the torque was as I tightened it to. Neutral
Post #267562 17th Sep 2013 11:22pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I may have this wrong, but I was always told to never put anything on the threads. Just wire brush them and keep them clean so as not to get false torque effect.

The Copper slip was always applied to the face of the drum to stop the wheel 'fusing' to it withe heat and pressure.

Like I say, I could have it wrong but I have followed this advice for over 30years/1,000,000 miles and have never had any problem with nuts coming loose, wheels coming off or seizure.
Post #267565 17th Sep 2013 11:29pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
"The Copper slip was always applied to the face of the drum to stop the wheel 'fusing' to it withe heat and pressure."

Or better still the rear face of the wheel to ensure you don't use too much that just sits between the spokes of the wheel and then spins off all over the place!
Post #267661 18th Sep 2013 1:02pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Finally got a ring to go around the locking wheel nut socket and being careful managed to undo three of the four nuts. The rear one is being a bitch. So have ordered some new ones from DefenderBits - cheers chaps
Will have another battle with the stubborn nut at the weekend, might have to weld a nut to the nut. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #276021 23rd Oct 2013 2:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123