Home > Wheels & Tyres > Adjusting the tracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
discocuzzy

England 
Adjusting the tracking
Guys,

I knocked the tracking out on the 110 offroad a few weeks ago and a couple of garages i have been to have said they cant adjust it on computer alignment machines.

Anyone know if its a manual job and where the adjustments are?

Regards You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #27279 17th Mar 2010 9:14pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I've always used the long-bit-of-string method. Cheap too.

Landy up on jacks / stands so the tyres are just off the ground. Loosen the clamps on the track rod (bar that runs from swivel to swivel behind the axle).

Get a ball of string and wrap it around the car, with the string touching all four tyre sidewalls halfway up the tyre when viewed from the side. Tie a knot so the string is nice and tight, but not mega tight.

Explain to the neighbour exactly what you're doing.

Stand in front of the vehicle, bend down so you are looking along the line of the string as it passes the tyres from front to back. It should be touching both tyre sidewalls of the rear tyre, and either one or both sidewalls of the front tyre. Check both sides in case there is a bit of steering lock on.

You are aiming to get the string as straight as possible - toe in will show as the string will go from the front sidewall of the front tyre, bend at the rear sidewall of the front tyre and continue to the rear tyre. Toe out will show as the string will not touch the rear sidewall of the front tyre.

Adjust tracking by twisting the track rod (maybe with pliers if it's still tight) and watch the sidewall of the tyre move relative to the string. When it's as good as possible, tighten the clamps on the track rod, throw the string away, drink some tea and enjoy the £20 you've saved. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #27280 17th Mar 2010 9:29pm
discocuzzy

England 
Thumbs Up i am a muppett when it comes to anything mechanical...would a land dealer do anything more scientific? You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #27283 17th Mar 2010 9:52pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
They'd clamp brackets with lasers to the rims, which point forwards to a wall or similar. When the rear laser point lines up with the front laser point they're done. They could adjust more accurately if a car needed 2 degrees of toe in for instance, but I think a LR does nicely with the wheels pointing in the same direction Very Happy

MUCH more satisfying to have done it yourself I think - good experience and a few quid saved.

You can forgo the axle stands, but it's more time consuming as you need to drive a bit after each adjustment, requiring removal of the string. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #27285 17th Mar 2010 10:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Around here it can cost anything from £15 - £30 for tracking and adjustment.

Many will check for free and charge to adjust. Mike
Post #27290 17th Mar 2010 11:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1