↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > MOT & Modifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CarlW

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
MOT & Modifications
In for my 1st MOT on Monday and just getting a bit concerned about the modifications I've made, will they be a problem?

1. LED Side/Fog lights - units are Perei and marked E11 - Is there any issue about side & fog lights in one unit? should I disconnect the side lights?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

2. SoA Paranoid Drawer - I've fitted the seat latching brackets to the top of the drawer so the seats can be put in place and the seat belts attached - will the moidified seat mountings cause me a problem?

Click image to enlarge

Thanks in advance
Carl MY11 110 XS Station Wagon in Stornoway
Post #264483 7th Sep 2013 7:50pm
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
What you have mentioned should not be a problem! However it is all down to the individual testers interpretation and some can be a bit stricter than others. As a first MOT I don`t think they will look that closely at it. Lights should be fine and if you leave the seats folded up it is unlikely that they will even get checked! Thats my experience anyway!. Where are you getting the MOT done? At the dealers? Cheers! Very Happy Donald
Post #264496 7th Sep 2013 9:31pm
CarlW

Yes Main dealer in Motherwell

Thanks MY11 110 XS Station Wagon in Stornoway
Post #264509 7th Sep 2013 10:07pm
dondiddy

Let us know how you get on! I hope your private plate has the correct spacings. That is the sort of thing that is more likely to get you a fail! Laughing
Post #264514 7th Sep 2013 10:18pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
They do seem to be getting much stricter. On my first MOT they pointed out that the sun strip I had on my windscreen could be considered as a windscreen obstruction. It was a grey area, but the tester had used common sense. Another time, another tester may not.
The sidelights are probably OK, high and low lights often found on high sided trailers/HGV's. The seats are another matter, they might well be tested for function and as they do not have the original fittings could be failed, especially if the MOT is being done by someone who knows Defenders. However, if they are removed, then they cannot be tested!
Upto you. Personally I cannot see how you have made the new mounting system as strong as the original system. I would have removed the seats if I wanted to fit such a storage solution as I would have not used the seats for passengers as the Insurance would have been void in the event of any collision.
Just my personal opinion. Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #264518 7th Sep 2013 10:24pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
The rear seats may be a problem, the lower OEM fixings will have all been crash tested and approved, bolting the same brackets to a storage system (however good and SOA make beautiful kit) has not been tested.

It's all down to safety and how comfortable you are in the case of an emergency

if you don't use the 3rd row, remove the seats and put the bolts back in to keep the water out ?
Post #264549 8th Sep 2013 9:51am
Shep

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Perhaps take the rear seats and belt out for the MOT? Not too sure if they check how many seats it should have, with this new computerised MOT systems they can check all sorts of stuff. A man with no boat is a prisoner
Post #264553 8th Sep 2013 10:17am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Take your rear seats out. Doesn't matter about seat belts. I have a SoA rear Paranoid Safebox that the seats clip to when down. Unfortunately, I took it for granted that it would have been Type Tested which it isn't.

The problem was that the MOT had been organised by my local LR dealer. They failed mine not just on the above, but also because of the Speaker Headlights, XEng Selective Anti Roll System, and other aftermarket mods. The dealer tried to sell and fit new headlights, anti roll bar, bushes, etc and remove the Paranoid SafeBox..... It was obvious it was a big 'con' so I took it a month later without any changes to another MOT station and it sailed through without any comments.

Your dealer may be more honest than the ones we have here, but it is a risk as they make a lot of money selling parts and fitting them.

Last edited by smb on 16th Sep 2013 11:19am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #264570 8th Sep 2013 11:20am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
i may be wrong, but regarding high and low side lights dont you have to pick one or the other?

i have a vague memory that many Jap 4x4s on import to UK had to have one set cut, or was that brake lights?

early discos and freelanders had both high and low side lights but you never see more than one set lit?

i wouldnt have thought itd be a problem though... Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #264576 8th Sep 2013 11:38am
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Chuck it in for a test and see what happens, Most garages give a free retest within 10 days if it fails. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #264589 8th Sep 2013 12:45pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I got a heads up from the independent I use in March this year when I was talking to him about putting spotlights on the 110. I was told that for the M.O.T. any external, including under the bonnet, cable runs now had to be encased in convoluted plastic or anti abrasion tape. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #264599 8th Sep 2013 2:46pm
dondiddy

How did you get on with your MOT?
Post #267056 15th Sep 2013 9:48pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Just seen this thread. From the official MOT testing manual:
Quote:
Obligatory front and rear position lamps are lamps required by Regulations to be fitted to a vehicle to indicate its presence and width when viewed from the front or rear. Two front position lamps must be fitted, one on each side and show a steady white light to the front (or yellow if incorporated in a yellow headlamp). Two rear position lamps must also be fitted, one on each side, showing a steady red light to the rear.

Method of inspection:
Quote:
Note: The precise position of obligatory lamps is not part of the inspection, but check visually that the lamps are at about the same height and the same distance from each side of the vehicle.
 An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #267235 16th Sep 2013 5:27pm
CarlW

I disconnected the sidelight feed to the fogs (so just illuminated as fogs), left the seats in their stored position without the brackets in place on the SoA drawer unit and it passed with no comments at all. Number plate is standard spacing and fully legal.

In reality I don't see any problem in having 4 rear side lights as many vehicles have more than 2 rear side lights, but I'm not sure about using the same red lens as a side and fog as I'm not aware of any vehicles tgat use that arrangement, I thought there was some rule about a minimum separation between side/brake and fogs. In reality I think I'd have been OK as when sides are on there are 4 illuminated and when the fogs are on there is the standard separation between the 2 remaining side/brake lights and the fogs. MY11 110 XS Station Wagon in Stornoway
Post #267319 17th Sep 2013 12:42am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^^^
My Discovery only had two rear lights in the bumper despite the lens and filament holder being provisioned in the rear pillar clusters. I fitted a bulb and ran a tap live feed from the bumper rear lights no problem and had no issues for years with four tail lights. The bumper ones were too low and poxy in my opinion anyway.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #267322 17th Sep 2013 2:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>