Home > Off Topic > My new motor!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
My new motor!
After importing a 1962 SAAB 96 Two Stroke from Sweden which wasn't as described I managed to secure a UK, unrestored, one family owner, 73,000mile, rare late 1977 SAAB 96 V4 in POW! Opal Green Very Happy

This one is in remarkable untouched, original, solid conditon, one of the best in the country and a real find through word of mouth. I've had 12 of these since I was a 13 years old kid and this one is as good as they get - amazing condition with full service history, annual MOT's etc. She won't be a trailer queen but also not for the school run but I'm hoping to take her to Sweden, Poland etc on some of the SAAB rallies. Can't wait to get her home to Zag her Very Happy

Never seen a 96 boot in such good unrestored condition...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 6th Sep 2013 9:28am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #264181 6th Sep 2013 9:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #264182 6th Sep 2013 9:21am
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Not quite my taste, but she does look a beauty! Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #264187 6th Sep 2013 9:29am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
That does look to be in very good condition. I assume it's spent most of it's life garaged. I like the original looking roof rack too.

Are the bumpers painted or coated? Looks like it will look great with just a good clean and compound polish.

Cheers

Steve Smile
Post #264189 6th Sep 2013 9:33am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks folks, not to everyone's taste for sure but it's causing quite a stir within the SAAB fraternity. Most good ones like this (maybe ten other original, unrestored examples) have been known about for years but it shows there are some still hidden away in garages.

She is not perfect, although garaged all her life with cardboard wrapped around her waist she has a couple of dings down the side. The bumpers are made or honey comb sections which can be swapped after a crash within the rubber outer. She has only been taken out of the garage for occasional runs and for MOT's the last few years. The owner can no longer drive her to due to a bad back...

They have column gear changing and free wheel which is great fun. When you take your foot off the accelerator the gearbox disengages from the engine and you just coast whilst the engine ticks over - when you press the accelerator the engine picks up drive and off you go again. You don't need to use the clutch apart from in first. SAAB made many new innovations which peole think Volvo came up with but as a small company compared to Volvo didn't have the marketing nounce.
For instance they had crumple zones from the 1960's and heated seats as standard from 1971 - toasty Very Happy

After all these years it's slowly proving that front wheel drive, a stiff monocoque body and column/sequential gearing in a well balanced car was the way forward. Most cars will have this set up eventually. The development largely came out of the successes of rallying...
Post #264192 6th Sep 2013 9:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Absolutely lovely and lime green to boot. Might not go all the places a defender does but still beautiful.
Barbara
Post #264201 6th Sep 2013 9:57am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Wow, what a find! I would have thought that it must be one of the last of its kind.

Whe had a succession of SAABs in the family from 1972 on, including one of the first 2-litre 99s (in a hideous plum colour), two further 99 saloons (a two door and a four door), before the arrival of the first "Combi-Coupe". Later came a 900 Turbo (what a car!) and a few other 900s. Sadly never a 99 Turbo though.

Completely agree with your comment about the SAAB innovations, most of which are incorrectly attributed to other makers especially Volvo. I think SAAB were the first to introduce a folding rear seat to allow the boot space to extend forward, possible the first heated seats, certainly the first to fit self-regenerating impact absorbing rubbery bumpers. It woudl be interesting to compile a full list of SAAB "firsts".

A shame that the inevitable finally happened and SAAB disappeared, and good on you and like minded people for preserving a bit of history! Thumbs Up
Post #264206 6th Sep 2013 10:09am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks Barbara, the ladies do like a SAAB 96, this one was owned by an aunt & niece. They are both still alive and are very upset to see it go. Must be hard after 35 years of ownership especially having kept 'Ruffles' so well. The main criteria was that it went to someone who would put the investment in to preserve her and to use her considerately. Luckily I am well known in the SAAB arena for my anal attention to condition and originality and of course I fell in love with her from the get go. They just don't come up like this anymore, people who have them keep them within the family and just don't sell them for any price offered so I am VERY lucky to have her... The kids are fighting over her already for when I snuff it Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Zagato on 6th Sep 2013 10:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #264211 6th Sep 2013 10:14am
jimbob7

Nice Thumbs Up SAABs have never appealed to me,but can certainly appreciate their innovations AND the condition of your car.
Post #264212 6th Sep 2013 10:16am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Great find Mr. Green  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #264213 6th Sep 2013 10:20am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys...

Yes 'Wolfy' she is one of the last registered as you say. You had a few nice one yourself Thumbs Up

SAAB was a great little company, top class engineers with very high standards, they improved many other comapnies products over the years but this unfortunatley led to their downfall in todays climate where evey penny is squeezed to make another component shared euro box, HOWEVER the Factory at Trollhatten opened it gates to the work force only two weeks ago to get the factory line sorted to go back into production whilst they have the tooling, this is just as a stop gap to pull money until the new units are developed which is all still unknown, maybe electric cars or maybe a new line of combustion engined cars, who knows but there is huge international interest/support in getting SAAB back up and running.
Post #264215 6th Sep 2013 10:24am
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
My mum and dad went through a SAAB phase while I was a kid... mum had 3 99's, & my dad had 2 900 Turbos & a 99 Turbo...

My sister had a much later SAAB (93?) - It wasn't the same, it had lost the quirky charm....
Post #264444 7th Sep 2013 2:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1