Home > Tdi > Rear Of Engine Oil Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Rear Of Engine Oil Leak
Hello Again,

For a long time my 200tdi has had a slight drip from the rear of the engine around the bell housing of engine oil.

Typically about one drip a day, however in the last few days I have noticed it has been getting steadily worse, to the point that she now will make a "puddle" the size of a ring doughnut overnight.

Obviously I am keeping an eye on the oil level as part of my weekly checks and she isn't using a lot over the space of a week, in fact I’m only topping up the oil every other month, but the drip is starting to bother me as it has started dripping onto my exhaust which I’d like to stop.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

My immediate thoughts are its rear crankshaft seal in which case I will take the engine out, do the rear crank seal, the clutch and I’m thinking about taking all components off the block (lift pump etc) and resealing the gaskets against the block.

What puzzles me is it is oily above the starter motor but dry from the valve cover and below the head gasket.

I'm half tempted to book it into a dealer so they can have a look at it to see if they can locate it exactly and advise, but at £90/hr it is an expensive way to confirm what I think I know...

Ideas Anyone?
Post #252800 21st Jul 2013 5:01pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Try giving the engine a good clean off with some de-greaser and a jet wash or better still a steam cleaner until there are no traces of old oil then go for a drive and check it when you get back and you should be able to see the source of the oil. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #252803 21st Jul 2013 5:07pm
shaggydog

Good Shout I'll Give That A Go.

Also noticed while I was out looking for a possible source, that the "dipstick" tube was quite loose in its bolt.
I tryed tightening it up but the nut is up tight, yet i can pull the tube up and down a good 1/2".

Is this normal?
Post #252865 21st Jul 2013 8:59pm
Lou Sparts

Crank shaft rear oil seals are a weak point on TD,s and 200 Tdi,s was redesigned for the 300 Tdi.
Is you engine breather system blocked as this would cause crankcase pressure to build up and force oil out past seals etc. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #252872 21st Jul 2013 9:17pm
shaggydog

Again a good shout, would explain why there is so much oil in the turbo intake pipe.

To service that its a drop the oil out and take all the pipes off and replace the cyclone?
Post #252876 21st Jul 2013 9:30pm
Lou Sparts

Not to sure of the system employed on the 200 tdi but i seam to remember there was an "oil separator" on the side of the head/rocker cover that needed cleaning or replacing at certain intervals. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #252882 21st Jul 2013 9:44pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
if the dipstick moves up and down you will get a false oil reading when in the down position. i would replace the whole lot to start. assuming the oil is not coming from here then rear crank seal is the most likely. engine out is easiest way to do it plus clutch parts as you suggest as you are in there anyway. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #252914 22nd Jul 2013 7:24am
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Hi Shaggydog,
Once the rear oil seal starts to leak, it will get worse in time, as the leak-path is past the rear main bearing cap cruciform seals; once there is oil past these, they will pump it out as the engine vibrates the cap and block.

Best way to make sure that this is the leak is to clean around the timing (threaded) hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing, and up into the thread, then watch for oil emerging from this hole after the next run. If it isn't coming from this hole, it is unlikely to be the rear oil seal, but the oil would have to be coming well up inside the thread.

To fix the rear oil seal properly, you need to be able to clean the rear of the main bearing cap (seal removed) with a solvent, and blow the residues away with an air-line. Particularly, you need to be able to clean the joint lines between the rear main cap and the block. Once thoroughly cleaned, you can "top-up" a genuine parts rear main seal assy gasket (steel with a foam rubber coating) with beads of silicon sealant along the critical lines. If you PM me, I can put a diagram together of the silicon bead paths that will knock all of your problems (well, the rear oil seal, at least) on the head. Also important, don't be tempted to over-torque the rear seal assy fixings. They should be max'd at 25Nm, any more (especially with the sand-cast assemblies) and the casting will distort, with obvious results! Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #262536 30th Aug 2013 11:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1