Print this entire topic · 
drewster

Wales 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
What a p*** take
Land rover related
I have two land rovers a 90 csw and a disc td5
The defender is fine and works well
On the other hand the disco is not well
I have had 2 new gear boxes fitted by Westover land rover in the last 4 years and now have another fault with the gear box
Ok it's out of warranty faire enough and faire enough to land rover cst who offered a 25% discount on parts and labour
But where my gripe is is
How can Westover ever think that by rogering its customers will they ever think of buyin a new car from them
For example
New gear box fitted at west overs = £3600
Ashcroft with a new clutch and dual mass = £1500
What a rip off will have to think hard when I have to service the car again
Only got 78 k on it
Post #259108 16th Aug 2013 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Out of warranty or not, if a new gear box gives after such a short time, it seems there is something wrong and chucking more gearboxes at it doesn't seem the way to go...!

It might be worth getting a 2nd opinion on the issues.

cheers

simonj
Post #259111 16th Aug 2013 12:55pm
drewster

couplands wrote:
Out of warranty or not, if a new gear box gives after such a short time, it seems there is something wrong and chucking more gearboxes at it doesn't seem the way to go...!

It might be worth getting a 2nd opinion on the issues.

cheers

simonj

When the box baulked between 2-3 I changed the box
Now it is very stiff in the H gate
Any suggestions would be usefull as the fault was verified with west overs to require a new box
Post #259115 16th Aug 2013 1:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd take it to Ashcrofts and get them to look at it - they know Landrover gearboxes better than anyone else John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #259126 16th Aug 2013 2:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Are the boxes that are being fitted reconditioned boxes? I suspect that they probably are, for a Td5 now, especially if supplied through the Genuine Parts supply chain.

I had a succession of problems with my Disco2 steering box after the original was changed at 130k miles after developing a slight leak, and it appeared in the end that whoever it is that reconditions the boxes for LR is simply incapable of doing the job properly. I had two defective boxes in succession, until eventually I bought a s/h one from a lower mileage vehicle (which hadn't been reconditioned and was fine), Now that this box has done about the same total mileage as my original, it too is leaking, but I have rebuilt the last replacement myself - properly - ready to fit.

My conclusions from all this:-

1) A Disco 2 box has a life expectancy of about 130k miles if it was built by Adwest

2) A Disco 2 box has a life expectancy of between 100 and 5000 miles if it was reconditioned by Landrover's reconditioner.

I wonder if a similar problem exists with gearboxes.

FWIW, my Disco2 has now done well over 200,000 miles and the original box is as good as it ever has been (it's an R380 of course, so not very good to start with). A Disco box driven sympathetically should easily last in excess of 250k miles.

I'd go to Ashcroft for the next one if I were you.

Incidentally, I have always had excellent service from Westover (the Salisbury branch, formerly Ottons, though) and I suspect that this isn't their fault. They will be constrained to Genuine Parts, especially for warranty work, and if the parts are substandard it really isn't their fault. They also cannot help LR's often exorbitant parts prices (and there was a massive, across-the-board hike of up to 50% earlier this year). Their labour rates although high are not excessive for a main dealer.
Post #259128 16th Aug 2013 2:20pm
drewster

All the boxes fitted were supplied by land rover so one would expect top quality
I have booked the car into ashcroft as was upset at the main dealers rip off price considering I had only done 36 k on this box
Post #259131 16th Aug 2013 2:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
drewster wrote:
All the boxes fitted were supplied by land rover so one would expect top quality.

Ah, I see! An easy mistake to make.

If the boxes were supplied by LR it is almost certain that they were reconditioned, and that it was done by a subcontractor who is not the original manufacturer (probably whoever tendered the lowest price for the contract). Just like my Disco 2 steering boxes.
Post #260030 20th Aug 2013 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1