↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 is Jerky Jumpy when in Low Box - Really irritating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TD5 is Jerky Jumpy when in Low Box - Really irritating
Good afternoon Defenderites, I am in need of the collective brain today... Thumbs Up

I had the opportunity to do a bit of green laning over the weekend and mighty fine it was too, however whilst in low box the vehicle was jerking, jumping, shunting (all those words would describe the feeling) especially at lower RPMs. I have not come across this before and am at a loss as to where to start...

Things that have happened recently:

1) Stalling when clutch pedal is depressed, then not starting again afterwards. This was tracked down to the Clutch sensor on top of the master cylinder. All worked fine afterwards until it happened again in Gibraltar on my Wedding day back in May, thankfully disconnecting the sensor at the plug allows you to continue. A week or so later I connected the senor back up again and all seemed OK. Replaced with non genuine sensor

2) I have fitted a recon'd transfer box recently as my previous one had a chronic drooling problem...

3) Injector loom replaced (not genuine) 4k miles ago when I serviced the 110.

4) MAF replaced with genuine LR MAF at last service.

5) Whilst crossing the Pyrenees the clutch biting point became lower and lower. I re-bled the system and it returned to almost normal. Fluid that came out was very black... I am fairly sure that might be evidence of the seals beginning to fail within the cylinders

Vehicle: 2002 Defender 110 with 144k miles on the clock, original clutch and fly still going.

Any help in narrowing this most irritating issue down would be great Smile
Post #252977 22nd Jul 2013 12:55pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Have to admit that my Td5 isn't the smoothest thing in the world when in low box, particularly 1st and 2nd - have to be very gentle on the throttle to make smooth progress. But your post suggests that this has only just happened, rather than a continuous thing, so it's not just the nature of the beast.

Could be something to do with the throttle mapping difference between low/high box? IIRC there's a switch on the t/box that tells the ECU that it's in low box, which changes the throttle mapping - basically a less responsive throttle pedal to try to stop the lurching. Is it possible that this has stopped functioning on yours, hence the throttle map is staying in the more responsive high box map, resulting in excessive lurching? Not sure how you would test this though. Just a thought. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #253022 22nd Jul 2013 2:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1