↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Thermostat electric fans v engine driven ones
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Thermostat electric fans v engine driven ones
So who has swapped motor driven for electric? 1 or 2 fans? Any difference in real world terms?

After capsizing in a series 2, Texaco petrol gushing on to the road, engine stalled but (replaced by previous owner) fan still whirring away, I was terrified of my (now sadly scrapped ) classic becoming a giant oven with me as the roast. Shocked

My Defender is a diesel...& I see the Kenco adverts. So I would feel a tad safer. But is the expense worth it? Question Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #244699 18th Jun 2013 7:34pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
There seems to be a vast amount of anecdotal evidence pointing in both directions but i have yet to find any remotely scientific impartial research on which to base a conclusion. Consequently i choose to stick with a viscous engine fan as that is one less mod to bother the insurance with. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #244749 18th Jun 2013 9:15pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
it depends on what your doing and on what vehicle. you mention a diesel def but talk about a series petrol which is then scrapped, i am not quite seeing the link. (edited to add - just seen the link the s2 has an electric fan running when upside down!)

i run a TGV with a viscous fan as its always there, its reliable and pretty much guaranteed to work when needed when the engine is running (viscous and belt failure aside)

my puma runs a viscous

my 200tdi runs a viscous

chance of failure is slim, they have massive reserve capability, but they do means it takes longer to warm up the vehicle and can take some oomph.

i also run a TGV with a rear mounted rad with twin Spal 11" fans. viscous was obviously not an option. they work well, i believe 2 fans are better than one if wired correctly. keep the vehicle at 80deg C (TGVs are renown for running hot normally)

if you run one electric fan it will need a good supply, the one i had on a 300tdi 110 needed more than 30A on start up.

they still load the engine, just through the alt, but load is probably less. warm up time is improved.

failure - fan mountings/cowls to cause contact with rad is well known. some brands fit through the rad mountings which can wear through the rad fins, fuses failing, motor failing, electrical dash switch failing, any electrical connector coming off, thermostat control unit failing, user forgetting to turn on, relays failing, feed failing can all lead to the electric fan not working

If you run with two fans side by side mounted then always have them both on together other wise one fan can draw air through the other stationary fan rather than the rad.

you can wire them to work at different speeds from say two temp senders (like the X-Eng X-Fan system)

if your doing alot of wading you may want to consider an off switch for them (also helps if debris has become fouled in them - switch off rather than blow the motor)

personally on the one i run it has a 3 way switch thermostatically controlled/Off/Perm On. both fans are wired to work together. i run an X-Fan as they are reliable, and dont leak.

Ford Mondeo fans with cowl work well. or you could try a vehicle's a/c fans.

dont Discos etc all run electric fans only? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #244750 18th Jun 2013 9:15pm
IKke

Netherlands 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
Mine has an electric fan, previous owner fitted it. Seems to work fine but still takes ages to warm up properly Razz
Fuel usage does seem to be lower than most defenders, but i think that has more to do with a lot of other factors than the fan. Scaling the real deal.
Post #244774 18th Jun 2013 10:18pm
jst

what were your thoughts Richard? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #246352 24th Jun 2013 7:46pm
BigWheels

I was considering twin smaller fans, rather than 1 large one. Is there room for any electric fans to be fitted in addition to the OE one?

In the summer, with a warmed up winch & 2 lamps in front of the radiator, I was concerned about sufficient cooling for engine & also helping the a/c. But in winter, or whenever electrics might be risky, the electric fans can be switched off...

So I want the best or both worlds, for not too big a budget. Whistle Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #246382 24th Jun 2013 8:58pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
I fitted one before we went to morocco. Was told by the experts ( highly regarded in LR circles) guiding us to take it off before we started as they always have problems with electric fans overheating in the desert.
Dont know if they were right as i put the viscous back and we had no problems.

The kenlowe now does a good job on the Marcos instead.

Cc
Post #246467 24th Jun 2013 10:53pm
jst

the std viscous is more than adequate for your use in the summer. don't forget the climate testing they have undergone. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #246524 25th Jun 2013 8:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
One advantage of electric - which, incidentally, I would always fit with a kill switch - was that you can turn them off if wading in deep water, which was especially useful in a petrol-engined vehicle.

On my Series 1 it was always my intention to fit an electric fan in this way, but after mastering the art of getting the fan belt adjusted just right to slip when wet and grip when dry I never bothered. (Old folk like me will remember that the classic problem on Series vehicles is that if the fan is submerged it screws its way forward into the radiator).
Post #246543 25th Jun 2013 10:22am
tacr2man

The viscous fan doesnt have any drawbacks in reality, it has more power to drive the air when cooling is needed, they dont have any problems with use in water, as they freewheel when cool, and dunking them in a creek usually has that effect . They have less things to go wrong , than an electrical set up. The effect of delaying engine warming is minimal in reality , as its the thermostat and heat generation of the engine that is the major factor in that , when driving ram air is cooling the rad , the fan will be freewheeling , thats why you get the roar , and then it goes quiet shortly after starting . If the roar persists then you have a viscous unit fault. JMHE
Post #247628 29th Jun 2013 6:42pm
BigWheels

Thanks for your advice guys. I've crossed electric fans off my list. Thumbs Up Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #247634 29th Jun 2013 7:08pm
theorangebandit

In reply to the desert thing the army use viscous becaus dog its ability to work almost continuously, through many problems. I have also found no real evidence to support changing to electric fans. Only bonus would be to be able to control manually the fans in case of over heating while off roading.
Post #250345 9th Jul 2013 10:23pm
c18rch

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
I fitted one to my TD5. MPG went from 28mpg to 32mpg. Throttle response was noticably better. Had it fiitted for 4 years, and I don't think the fan ever once came on. My TD5 was used for general farm driving (fields, mud etc) and towing.

As for being reliable, in ten years of land rover ownership I've had two viscous couplings fail. I've not had an electric fan fail. That said as above, they very rarely if ever come on anyway for normal UK driving.

Electric fans for diesels in the UK are imo one of the best mods I've done to my landies.
Post #250449 10th Jul 2013 11:30am
landybehr

I think the viscous fan willl be able to move more air. I canīt give proof, but several people taught me so, and I now believe that. OTOH the very most of the driving time it is not needed. Think of the winter. And even in summer it wonīt do an important job unless standing in jammed traffic. And that is the condition where I could imagine that the elect.fan can be superior - it is always running at full speed, rather than the viscous one (which turns slow at engine idle) - I could think that this effect could be a benefit even in the desert. Furthermore the elect. fan (maybe) can save the water pump bearing from the load/forces of the mechanical fan.
Post #250557 10th Jul 2013 7:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1