Home > Wheels & Tyres > spare wheel mount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
spare wheel mount
Hi all.
On a 90 is there enough room under the rear tub to mount a 750 wheel and tyre ie between the chassis rails where the tank goes on a 110 ?

I ask as i think having the spare with me on the trip north would be prudent. Having made a lid for the tub i don't have the height to use the normal location plus even if i did the back will be quite tight with camping boxes. I do have a front mount but i hate the lack of visability with the spare there. I don't have the funds for a swing away. I could put it on top of the new lid but 12mm plywood is not "that" strong plus it looks a bit naff. So yeah would it be reasonable to fit under the rear of the tub up against the tow bar/rear crossmember?

Cheers. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #249845 7th Jul 2013 9:47pm
landybehr

From behind the screen and only judging out of memory -- no chance, I´d say.

Wheel is too big to fit between the chassis rails. And you have the axle there moving up to it.
Proove me wrong with a folding ruler Smile

What´s wrong with standard mount on the rear door - as long as you avoid african washboard roads ?
Post #249849 7th Jul 2013 10:03pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
As you have a TDi = no bump, why not a bonnet mount?

Is it legal to mount a spare wheel military style on the side of a Defender? Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #249872 7th Jul 2013 11:30pm
lambert.the.farmer

Being a pickup i don't have a rear door as such to mount it to. Whilst i have all the bits to reinstate my bonnet mount i took it off as it really limits my forward vision and i just cant get on with it. Side mount sounds ok but again being a pickup and not having a rear cage i can't see where it would mount. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #249879 8th Jul 2013 5:05am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It definitely won't go between the chassis rails. Your best bet in the circumstances is flat on the floor between the wheel boxes. A ply panel over the top would give you a wide flat area to stack your stuff, albeit not very high.

The only other low cost alternative I can think of is to get a couple of roof bars and stick it over the cab. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #249882 8th Jul 2013 6:50am
lambert.the.farmer

Pity it won't fit that would have been good. Looks like i will have to put it on the back i will look to what i have in the way of cross bars. Hey ho. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #249886 8th Jul 2013 7:27am
BigWheels

What size wheel & tyres do you have? Maybe a slimmer wheel & or tyre (but similar circumference to the others) would allow you to use your bonnet mount & have better visibility, or take less load bed space at back? Same principle as space saver tyres in cars before invasion of the goo cans.

I see a lot of farm Defenders etc where I live. Most seem to have smaller &/or cheaper spare wheels to the ones driven on. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #249999 8th Jul 2013 5:52pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I saw a 110 with a 'space saver wheel' the other day... the wheel was half as thin as the fitted wheels and looked rather odd on the back door... Shocked
Wonderd what they did with the wheel nuts and how they managed when driving... the wheel was the same curcumfrance but just half as wide.

Fitting a rear swing away wheel carrier ... these are not expensive items and will probably turn up on EBay or on here if you ask...
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #250000 8th Jul 2013 6:00pm
lambert.the.farmer

It's already on the defender version of push bike tyres being 750r16. I have thought to go smaller on the past like a 205 but i like the taller ones i have they give it decent legs so it can both fly and grunt as need be. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #250002 8th Jul 2013 6:01pm
lambert.the.farmer

Pickup swing aways are not so common and besides i leave on Friday which kinda shortens the availability of second hand. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #250003 8th Jul 2013 6:05pm
BigWheels

For lambert perhaps a home made wheel holder might be the answer. Some scaffolding tube & possibly plate (which is all swing away carriers, racks etc really are, but tarted up with paint & shiny bits.) Whistle Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #250004 8th Jul 2013 6:05pm
lambert.the.farmer

Home made rocks! If i come up with a cool idea i will post some pics. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #250010 8th Jul 2013 6:21pm
BigWheels

lambert.the.farmer wrote:
It's already on the defender version of push bike tyres being 750r16. I have thought to go smaller on the past like a 205 but i like the taller ones i have they give it decent legs so it can both fly and grunt as need be.

7.50s are good, I thought maybe you were using wider wheels (But have just re-read your 1st post Embarassed ).

A fixed or (adapted) swing away carrier on the side might be the answer.

Military with side mounted wheel http://torrent.cd/ec74afff6ccd0c9a4d10f2b6...co.torrent Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #250012 8th Jul 2013 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1