↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > anti luce alternative
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
anti luce alternative
Hi i am finally about sick to death of being stabbed by the antiluce catches on the back of my tail gate and on my ifor top, yesterday one of them got me in the back and it stings to say the least. So i was wondering what would make a viable alternative? For the ifor i was thinking it would be fairly straight forward to put an over center clip on each outside that pulled the gate tight shut, easy. But what about the tail gate would over center clips work across the back ie handles on the body capping pulling outwards across the back, would that be strong enough to match the antiluce?

Cheers for your ideas. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #247360 28th Jun 2013 5:54am
lambert.the.farmer

Really?
Three posts asking questions and not one reply. Come on i thought you lot had an opinion on everything. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #247445 28th Jun 2013 3:11pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
When you look at the design of the anti-luce clips they are a self contained fairly foolproof positive secure latch. They are ideally suited to the vibrations of a Land Rover which in the nature of the design makes them more secure. They are pretty cheap to produce and the moving parts are kept to a minimum and will take a fair amount of abuse. I'm sure you've come across the over centre latches found on a lot of Jap pickups, once knocked out of position they become pretty unreliable, they are often bulky resulting in the handle part sticking out further than an anti-luce ever could. I know there are some really nice looking ones around but the cost of them can be quite prohibitive for Land Rover, you know they only like to spend pennies not pounds when they build Defenders.
Not being too patronizing but, is the fact you are being stabbed by your motor more down to lack of spatial awareness or is it actively trying to get you? I find it's the door catches that get me first mainly by grabbing the belt loops of my trousers as I get out not letting me get my leg to the floor and as the rest of my body is out results on me ending up in a heap on the floor and a bloody big rip in my trousers. I swear the damned thing is laughing Rolling Eyes
When I used to have truck cabs, I used to flip up the anti-luces when I was around the back only having them in the "open" position to close the tailgate or the rear flap on the Ifor top.
Post #247446 28th Jun 2013 3:35pm
lambert.the.farmer

Mostly it gets me if i have to lean in through the back from one side i get an antiluce in the ribs. I do try to remember to flip them but then i get confused when the tail gate won't shut cos the antiluce is in the way. I appreciate they are simple and cheap i just don't find them user friendly.hence looking for alternatives. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #247453 28th Jun 2013 4:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re: anti luce alternative
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Really?
Three posts asking questions and not one reply. Come on i thought you lot had an opinion on everything.

That's because there isn't an easy answer. The reason the antiluce design has stood the test of time is because it's simple and it works.

lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Hi i am finally about sick to death of being stabbed by the antiluce catches on the back of my tail gate and on my ifor top, yesterday one of them got me in the back and it stings to say the least. So i was wondering what would make a viable alternative? For the ifor i was thinking it would be fairly straight forward to put an over center clip on each outside that pulled the gate tight shut, easy. But what about the tail gate would over center clips work across the back ie handles on the body capping pulling outwards across the back, would that be strong enough to match the antiluce?

Cheers for your ideas.

Over centre catches work by pulling along their length, so mounting a couple on the sides of your Ifor to pull the flap tight would work well. Mounting them on the body cappings and pulling outwards to secure the tailgate won't work though, as they'd be pulling in the wrong plane.

One alternative might be to replace the antiluces with posts and pins like those on a Sankey trailer. Ironically though, I'm considering the reverse for mine. Another alternative might be sprung loaded shoot bolts that are available from trailer parts suppliers such as THIS ONE. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #247568 29th Jun 2013 9:27am
lambert.the.farmer

Ok like the idea of the slide bolt i will look into them further. Cheers. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #247602 29th Jun 2013 3:13pm
JWL

Now if you get a spring latch bolt with a lead/ramp to the locatng hole you'd be onto a really tidy job Thumbs Up
Post #247603 29th Jun 2013 3:22pm
lambert.the.farmer

Like a self locking mechanism, now we're getting somewhere. Like that idea. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #247610 29th Jun 2013 4:53pm
JWL

Just think of the slam catches on an Ifor stock trailer ramp, that'll give you a start
Post #247611 29th Jun 2013 5:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1