↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Land Rover transporter crash A34
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Land Rover transporter crash A34
Don't know if anyone else has come across this, I just noticed it on the AutoExpress website. Insurance company will have fun with that one!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/ra...rashes-a34 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #175376 13th Oct 2012 3:32pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
luckily theres no defenders so its ok Laughing Laughing CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #175378 13th Oct 2012 3:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
I believe it will most likely be a straight forward insurance claim.

The car transporter was being recovered by a HGV recovery vehicle. The driver of the recovery vehicle is being prosecuted for offences such as dangerous driving, driving with an insecured load etc.

IF found guilty then it is more then likely the public liability section of the recovery firm will pay out. OK recovery firm insurance company may/will try and wriggle out but recovery firm has to take due care etc and it appears in this instance that due care was not undertaken.

Brendan
Post #175379 13th Oct 2012 3:53pm
pom

id be very surprised in the transport firm is liable for the load.

Pom
Post #175398 13th Oct 2012 4:56pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Sounds like someone was sleeping on the job!! Tacho time I would say.

No question about it, the transport firm is responsible for the load- always is, therefore LR will claim from them and they claim through the recovery insurance........ the bun fight then comes with whether the driver was within the law etc and then pay out or not.

Whatever happens I wouldn't like to be in that driver's boots right now!

Glyn Dog Sheep

Last edited by Glynparry25 on 13th Oct 2012 5:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #175407 13th Oct 2012 5:22pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

Hampshire police said the fully-loaded transporter was being towed by a heavy recovery vehicle when it broke free and hit the barrier, crossing on to the opposite carriageway.

I suppose it will depend on what broke/caused the transporter to break free from the recovery vehicle.

IF the recovery point on the car transporter failed then can see the recovery firm insurance being off the hook.

If it was anything supplied by the recovery firm or the way it was attached to the transporter by the recovery firm then it will probably be their insurance responsiblity.

You can be assured that the insurance companies will do their best to wriggle out of it.

Brendan
Post #175408 13th Oct 2012 5:23pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
It all sounds a little bit Mickey Mouse to me.

If you have such a large (and expensive) load and the tractor unit breaks down, it is good practice to put the trailer onto another tractor unit to carry on its journey to the destination..... and then the recovery truck will just have a tractor to take to repair.

Probably late at night and they couldn't be bothered so called recovery to do the whole thing and then worry about it in the morning.

Glyn Dog Sheep

Last edited by Glynparry25 on 13th Oct 2012 5:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #175409 13th Oct 2012 5:28pm
ken

United Kingdom 
It appears the Recovery driver used the lifting method for an artic on a wagon and drag causing the decks to interlock etc etc etc .

Its just one of the plausible theories

And the logistics company is responsible for the load (To many dealings with EuroFleet & Inchcape Automotive Whistle )
Post #175410 13th Oct 2012 5:29pm
pom

Glynparry25 wrote:
Sounds like someone was sleeping on the job!! Tacho time I would say.

No question about it, the transport firm is responsible for the load- always is, therefore LR will claim from them and they claim through the recovery insurance........ the bun fight then comes with whether the driver was within the law etc and then pay out or not.

Whatever happens I wouldn't like to be in that driver's boots right now!

Glyn Dog Sheep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)

A former job shipping kit (military aircraft bits), the shipper aint allways responsible for the cost of the load.

Good job as well, some of our shipments to the states cost more thant he plane flying them!

Pom
Post #175413 13th Oct 2012 5:52pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Pom automotive logistics are different I know this as I worked in previous roles for carriers and I now also make claims for damage against the carrier directly in my current role.

Glyn it was a wagon and drag system their arnt to many artic units used by the main carriers also no tach hours apply if operating around the operators base (100 clicks)
Post #175473 13th Oct 2012 8:29pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
ken wrote:
Pom automotive logistics are different I know this as I worked in previous roles for carriers and I now also make claims for damage against the carrier directly in my current role.

Glyn it was a wagon and drag system their arnt to many artic units used by the main carriers also no tach hours apply if operating around the operators base (100 clicks)

Just for clarity, the transporter would come under tacho regs, the recovery vehicle would not. Smile
Post #175546 13th Oct 2012 11:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:

Just for clarity, the transporter would come under tacho regs, the recovery vehicle would not. Smile

Really?

They are over 3.5 tonnes do it for hire and reward and tacho regulations apply

They will require a tacho fitted, however should the tacho be in use? That is a different matter? Depends on distance from base and work history that day

To quote the Association of Vehicle Recovery Operators

Quote:

Recovery Vehicles, Tachograph and Driving Hours

Changes in the law require that in some circumstances recovery vehicles will have to use Tachograph when operating outside 100 km radius (as the crow flies)of the Company base

Tachograph

All recovery vehicles registered after 1st May 2006 will require digital Tachograph. Any vehicles registered before then can be fitted with either an analogue or a digital Tachograph.

3.5tonnes + vehicles previously exempt from the use of Tachograph will be required to be fitted with Tachograph either analogue or digital and activated if the vehicle is travelling beyond a 100km radius of base (as the crow flies). There will be a period of grace for fitting of Tachograph which will apply up until 31 December 2007. During this period manual records of journeys effected by the new rules should be recorded and kept on file

Base

This is where the recovery vehicle is normally positioned. If an operative takes the vehicle home, the base will still be regarded as the garage/depot not the home address. If an operator has multiple depots the vehicle could have a base at more than one depot as long as the vehicle is not changing base daily to manipulate the ruling.

Operating within 100 kilometres

Recovery vehicles operating within 100 kilometres radius of their base (as the crow flies) are exempt from using a Tachograph to record Hours of driving, other work and rest periods. but must still comply with domestic driving hours rules

Operating outside 100 kilometres

Occasional travel outside 100km radius of their base(as the crow flies). The technician / vehicle should use a Tachograph from the first movement of travel to this destination and remain on Tachograph for the rest of the day having returned inside the 100km radius and returned to base or accepted another job inside the radius. Work either side of the Tachograph requirement should be manually recorded as ‘other work.

After operating outside 100 kilometers

Because the operative has travelled outside the 100km, they have now come under the requirements of the EU Regs No 561/2006, EC Drivers Hours and Working Time Directive so to be absolutely safe, as it stands at the moment, the operative should record and abide by the required rest breaks for the next three weeks.

Emergency recovery/removal

The requirement for the Company to attend an emergency overrides all drivers hours requirements. The use of the description ‘emergency’ will need to be observed carefully. It will generally be regarded as the scene of an accident or a police/HA callout for a vehicle that poses a potential danger. Make sure it is recorded as such,

So it will be up to the Police/CPS etc to look at the whole situation to decide if tacho regs should apply or not.

Since the Police/CPS has decided that charges of dangerous driving/insecure load etc be brought against the driver of the recovery truck then one can assume that there are grounds for a case to be brought to court.

Brendan
Post #175550 13th Oct 2012 11:46pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I never suggested it wouldn't have one fitted! If it was operating for recovery (ie, not hire&reward) and within the 100km threshold (which isn't that far, I often get 150km from base within a couple of hours in a lorry) then it would not need the tacho to be in use.(I presume it would be switched to "out of scope".) As the quote says, in an emergency situation (eg motorway smash) the drivers hours regs are overridden anyway. Within 100KM only domestic rules apply which I think can just be recorded in a logbook. The tacho would still record what was happening (assuming its digi) so a record would still be made at least of when the vehicle was in motion and how far it went.
The tacho would have been checked at the scene by the police/VOSA/HATO (?) and as it is not mentioned I think we can safely take it that it was not considered to be in breech of any tacho regs.
You can follow tacho regs to the letter and still be very tired, they are to do with competition in the haulage industry, not really safety, thats certainly my view having worked under the regs...
Post #175622 14th Oct 2012 11:08am
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
So it will be up to the Police/CPS etc to look at the whole situation to decide if tacho regs should apply or not.

Since the Police/CPS has decided that charges of dangerous driving/insecure load etc be brought against the driver of the recovery truck then one can assume that there are grounds for a case to be brought to court.

Domestic tacho regs are not he same as the EC ones. Its been too long since I did my CPC to remember what exactly is different I just remember that they are Smile

Most of the drivers hours regs were introduced to make competition fair rather than to be of a safety consideration. Its to stop hauliers trying to do more with less and a way of making sure a lorry does roughly x amount of work per day.
Post #242270 9th Jun 2013 5:02pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:

You can follow tacho regs to the letter and still be very tired, they are to do with competition in the haulage industry, not really safety, thats certainly my view having worked under the regs...

Read this after writing my post. Great minds see Smile
Post #242271 9th Jun 2013 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1