↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Replacement Steering Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Innuendomaster

United Kingdom 
Replacement Steering Wheel
Right, had the DC for just one week and come to the conclusion I hate the XS Steering wheel. It's too big and dated in design. I don't want to pay a fortune, but want some idea in costs involved. Any pointers?
Post #236376 17th May 2013 6:27pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Search reveals....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18969....ring+wheel

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3993.h...ring+wheel

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18474....ring+wheel

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic16817....ring+wheel

Just a few from the 6 pages available. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #236380 17th May 2013 6:41pm
Innuendomaster

United Kingdom 
Every time I use the search I get hardly anything up. Obviously not knowing how to use it correctly. Thank you Thumbs Up
Post #236421 17th May 2013 7:55pm
K9F

Welcome... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #236441 17th May 2013 8:32pm
Innuendomaster

United Kingdom 
Now that looks very tidy.
Post #236442 17th May 2013 8:33pm
K9F

Thanks... Thumbs Up Details in second link above. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #236446 17th May 2013 8:47pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Ive got a very similar one to KF9 but with a matt black centre cap and slots not holes. 15" which makes a nice difference but not radically.

If you go the Moto-lita route, buy through ebay from a bloke called Brian who trades as classicsteeringwheels.

He has virtually all designs in stock (Mud only do one style), delivers the next day and is a pound or two cheaper..

Moto-Lita themselves are useless. I was quoted 4 weeks delivery at the end of which I was told it would be another 6 and I got the distinct impression they couldn't care less.
Post #236461 17th May 2013 10:02pm
K9F

Macpaul wrote:
Moto-Lita themselves are useless. I was quoted 4 weeks delivery at the end of which I was told it would be another 6 and I got the distinct impression they couldn't care less.

Certainly NOT the standard of service I got from them....Never mind about a pound or two cheaper I got mine direct for about £80+ cheaper.

K9F wrote:
I looked at various sites including Moto-Lita themselves and decided as Thruxton was not too far out of my way to turn up unannounced at their premises to see what they could do for me and maybe see what suits best!!!

They explained that they didn't normally have callers 'dropping in on a whim' to buy a steering wheel and that they were uninsured to change steering wheels but provided me with the tools to remove mine so splines could be counted to ascertain what boss I needed...
They didn't have a polished boss in stock so they generously spent 20 minutes polishing one up for me. ...... To cap it all received a 'very generous discount' Well worth the excellent friendly service if you are able to visit direct, he did say to give 'em a tinkle first next time though so he could be sure to have any/all of one's requirements in stock!
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #236471 17th May 2013 10:46pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Replacement Steering Wheel
Innuendomaster wrote:
Right, had the DC for just one week and come to the conclusion I hate the XS Steering wheel. It's too big and dated in design. I don't want to pay a fortune, but want some idea in costs involved. Any pointers?

Shocked The XS steering wheel is a thing of beauty Thumbs Up Needs to be big so the big clocks can be seen unobstructed. Needs to be big for leverage when bigger wheels are fitted. The black stippled leather cover feels comfy but not too slick. Bow down And "dated" Question Exclamation This is for a Defender Whistle Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #236482 17th May 2013 11:31pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Macpaul wrote:
Ive got a very similar one to KF9 but with a matt black centre cap and slots not holes. 15" which makes a nice difference but not radically.

If you go the Moto-lita route, buy through ebay from a bloke called Brian who trades as classicsteeringwheels.

He has virtually all designs in stock (Mud only do one style), delivers the next day and is a pound or two cheaper..

Thumbs Up +1
Brian is very helpful, I bought a Mota-Lita 15" in S/S with black centre cap, fits perfectly and is a good size, any smaller and it makes it hard to see the gauges. Came next day. Make sure you keep the old one somewhere, then you can keep the Mota-Lita if you change or upgrade your Defender at a later date.
Post #236498 18th May 2013 5:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1