Home > Africa > Puma performance in Africa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dkwillo

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Puma performance in Africa
Hi All

Am new to the forum. I am looking at purchasing a new Puma 2.2 ltr Tdci Station wagon utility and bringing it out to Zambia. We live remotely and I was wondering what the experiences were with the vehicles performance? Most threads give me confidence that this is a good robust vehicle with little need for major mechanical issues. I am a long way from any dealer/warranty etc so need it to be reliable.
It would be good to get some thoughts/ feedback.

Thanks
Post #128844 5th Mar 2012 12:14pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hello,

We are just in the process of organising a holiday Starting in Livingstone and finishing in Windhoek. The company is 'safari drive' and they use 2.4 Puma engine 110's

Maybe contact them to see if they have had any problems? from talking to them I believe they are happy.

I think if I was unsure of the fuel I would filter it before filling up with a 'mr funnel' to be sure the fuel is clean.

Steve 
Post #128846 5th Mar 2012 12:33pm
dkwillo

Cheers Steve

Will look them up. Where do you buy a "Mr Funnel"?

Cheers
Post #128851 5th Mar 2012 1:04pm
Steve B

Hi,

I got mine from here http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/ but I guess they are readily available. Great bit of kit.

Steve 
Post #128859 5th Mar 2012 1:36pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
The most important thing would be to give it a thorough check over and test drive before you drive it away for good and ask yourself if you have problems how practical is it going to be to fix them.

You just have to keep in mind it's not an old TDi and if anything does go wrong somebody with experience in vehicle electronics may need to be at hand. I love my TDCi but I not sure I would have the courage to own one if I was away from a Dealership, a TDi on the other hand is so simple for self maintenance and will swallow any old fuel Whistle It all depends on your circumstances as many TDCi's are run successfully where you are. You can still buy near new TDi's! Just playing devils advocate but it's a serious consideration if your life or livelihood depends on it Thumbs Up
Post #128864 5th Mar 2012 1:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dkwillo

Thanks Zagato

All valid points! At the moment I keep swinging between upgrading from my 300 Tdi to Tdci for long road trips or spending some money and upgrading what I have!

Cheers
Post #128873 5th Mar 2012 2:20pm
Steve B

They did mention that for extended safaris they use 300tdi row spec, maybe this is your answer?

You could improve yours a lot with the money you save!

Steve 
Post #128874 5th Mar 2012 2:24pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
dkwillo wrote:
All valid points! At the moment I keep swinging between upgrading from my 300 Tdi to Tdci for long road trips or spending some money and upgrading what I have!

Keep the 300Tdi, it'll be easier to fix in the bundus Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #128879 5th Mar 2012 2:41pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Check out the Australian site as they have no bother going to remote areas with their Pumas.
http://www.aulro.com/
The tdi is a good vehicle. I drove a 200 tdi 110 for 16 years but have a Puma now. The Puma is more comfortable, quieter and user friendly than the 200 tdi but whether that makes any difference on poor ground with low range work in the back of beyond is debatable.
Never had any bother electrics wise with the Puma. If your tdi is good you just need to size up what benefits a Puma will have for you. Both are very good vehicles.
In Land Rover's Working in the Wild (Manual for Africa) booklet, it sets out how to run and maintain your Land Rover in the wild. From setting up servicing areas to driving. It does state that the Td5 (this was the current model when I bought the book) is a complex vehicle and states regarding the electronics"very little can be done by way of field maintenance without powerful computers and the relevant programmes." Also if the ECU goes "down" by being introduced to water, the "get you home feature" could also fail. I suppose the same could be said for the Puma, but the Puma ECU is fairly well protected from water as it is high up on the bulk head.
Like others have said just talk to owners in your neck of the woods. Get in plenty of basic spares if you do go for a Puma. Get them with the vehicle and you might get a good deal on them. Also there are basic diagnostic tools on the market that you could invest in but you can never cover ever eventuality.
Good luck with your decision. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #230587 25th Apr 2013 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1