Home > Technical > has my air-con been swiped/swapped
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sewin elwy

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
has my air-con been swiped/swapped
Hi,
Is the date stamp of manufacture cast into the side of the air-con compressor in that small circle facing the offside.
I ask this as my station wagon has spent most of this year in the main dealers with water leaks, no! not just damp but soaking!
It still has work outstanding but I needed it ,so got it back last week. There was an unusually hot day and I wacked on the air-con and it didn't seem to work to well. when I arrived home I had a quick look and noticed the stamp which looks like a manufacturing date mark to me.
It's marked 9 over11 in the circle, mine was made in april 2010 and I have never had anything done to the air-con and before it went in it was blasting out the cold air...........any thoughts!
In the old days I often had parts swapped on my vehicles, well stolen really, do you think its still going on!

Oh! by the way my XS has only done 8000 miles from new! and has only gone into one main dealer!
Post #228608 18th Apr 2013 5:23pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Could be November 2009 if that is the date stamp which sounds about right on a 2010 model
Post #228633 18th Apr 2013 6:40pm
Photoguy1510

New Zealand 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
No more than likely you have lost your refrigerant through the shaft seal. You need to run your aircon on a regular base to keep the shaft seal lubricated if its been standing for a long time chances are good that its leaked through. Now that you have run it the seal will be wet an even if they check it wont find the leak. At least its under warranty so they can fill, it insist they recover and use a fresh charge. R134a is not chemically stable an when it leaks out it leaks out as individual gases not R134a this affects its refrigerant properties as essentially it contaminates itself when it leaks. Some will tell you its not that important but your discharge temperature will be higher and defenders don't need any extra heat in front of the radiator. Cooling capacity will also be reduced and lets face it its not great to begin with. It is good practice but cost money so companies take the shortcut, worst is they charge the systems by looking at the sight glass on the receiver, perfect way to over charge the system which will lead to a failed compressor down the line, after warranty has run out. Fresh charge weighed in is the only way it should be done.

Don't forget run the ac every 2 weeks for 10 min cost nothing and it wont leak its refrigerant, more important on older units as they had leather seals but just as critical in modern systems with carbon based seals. 2013 Orkney Grey 110 SE on order should be here on 20/04
Post #228669 18th Apr 2013 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1