↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Bonnet Thefts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Bonnet Thefts
It would appear that Puma bonnet thefts in the Tonbridge Wells area of Kent is active at the moment.

Have heard of two bonnets disappearing in the last week from that area. Last one I heard of was that the thieves smashed the drivers window and went for the bonnet release handle.

The two cases I heard of was people buying bonnet security hinges off us to try and protect their replacement bonnets.

Brendan
Post #220201 18th Mar 2013 3:52pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Re: Bonnet Thefts
leeds wrote:
It would appear that Puma bonnet thefts in the Tonbridge Wells area of Kent is active at the moment.

Have heard of two bonnets disappearing in the last week from that area. Last one I heard of was that the thieves smashed the drivers window and went for the bonnet release handle.

The two cases I heard of was people buying bonnet security hinges off us to try and protect their replacement bonnets.

Brendan

Oh great . Guess which part of Kent I live in. BM52
Post #220203 18th Mar 2013 4:10pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Re: Bonnet Thefts
bm52 wrote:
leeds wrote:

Brendan
Oh great . Guess which part of Kent I live in.

Might just be a Brendan bluff to sell his security hinges, don't fall for it Whistle (that was a joke)

leeds wrote:

They might stuggle with mine - my bonnet release doesn't work unless u jam the handbook between the bonnet leading edge and striker plate to ensure it lifts up properly Evil or Very Mad

Cheers
C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #220214 18th Mar 2013 5:12pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Went to put washer fluid in mine today and it wouldn't budge! Censored ! ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #220228 18th Mar 2013 6:00pm
mrandmrsh

Lishlandy wrote:
Went to put washer fluid in mine today and it wouldn't budge! Censored !

The problem with mine is not enough spring to lift the bonnet up. Jamming the handbook (in its leather-ette case) in between the front of the bonnet and then pulling the release works ever time. One rare occasion where the handbook helps. 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

Post #220234 18th Mar 2013 6:07pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
hi leeds,
i'm going to be speeking with the bods from atomic 22 to see if any of their security fixings can be used with the bonnet hinges.

their fixings are for the bike industry but the wheel locks might be suitable/adaptable

www.atomic22.com

hope the link works Thumbs Up
Post #220389 19th Mar 2013 10:22am
womble

England 
a friend of mine and ironically a lr breaker has recently had a puma bonnet (bulge in it ...correct Question ) stolen.it is red and was stolen in south oxfordshire .
unlikely i know but pm me if you have any info.thanks.
thieving ba Censored dz.
Post #221813 24th Mar 2013 9:56pm
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Until I have the cash to get some hinges which show thieves that removing my bonnet won't be as easy as they are used to, I purchased a bloody great bike chain for a tenner which chains the bonnet to the engine. I was worried I might melt the plastic casing on it but a trip far up north and back over the weekend put it through the appropriate stress test and it's amply protected from the heat. I haven't had it's real purpose stress tested by some light fingered f***witt yet (and nor do I really want it to be) but I reckon it would be enough of an effort to deter most little sh*ts.
Post #227761 16th Apr 2013 11:15am
mrandmrsh

Egghead wrote:
Until I have the cash to get some hinges which show thieves that removing my bonnet won't be as easy as they are used to, I purchased a bloody great bike chain for a tenner which chains the bonnet to the engine.

Do you have a pic of the arrangement?
C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

Post #227784 16th Apr 2013 1:02pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
mrandmrsh wrote:
Do you have a pic of the arrangement?C

Quick search reveals:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic6390.html?highlight= If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #227801 16th Apr 2013 1:57pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Egghead wrote:
Until I have the cash to get some hinges which show thieves that removing my bonnet won't be as easy as they are used to, I purchased a bloody great bike chain for a tenner which chains the bonnet to the engine.

Same here ... although mine is the cable type as opposed to a chain Cool

Been fitted over 2 years, and mine hasn't melted the plastic coating Thumbs Up Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #227828 16th Apr 2013 3:41pm
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
mrandmrsh wrote:
Do you have a pic of the arrangement?

Sure, please excuse the blurry shots - with the chain in place it was hard to prop the bonnet open and take steady pictures. The God awful mess of glue making a zig-zag pattern on the underneath side of the bonnet you can see was once used to 'stick' a sound proofing blanket but must have been as useful as tits on a fish because it couldn't withstand the engine heat and apparently left the sound proofing draped on the engine. Clearly the blanket wasn't quite big enough either so it had extra pieces taped along the sides. The side pieces of sound proofing still remain with a nice mess of super strong duct tape running down the edges where they were 'stuck' to the main piece (they look green in the photos as they reflect the nearby lawn.) That tape now just gets hot, melts and sticks (or rather bonds very bloody strongly) to things like the feed pipe for the engine coolant reservoir... Which when the bonnet was once lifted to see why oil was dripping out the underside of the vehicle, actually pulled out the coolant reservoir feed pipe and left my engine in an even more vulnerable state!!! Not ideal when trying to creep along the motorway to the garage to get the oil leak fixed and the temperature gauge shoots up and all the power is suddenly lost! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Anyway, back on topic with the bicycle chain: I originally followed the advice of noworries4x4 from the same link K9F posted above about Puma bonnet security . I got a thick and chunky chain for a tenner and it just fits through the engine block eye nicely, although it's a tight squeeze to feed through the square holes in the bonnet cover - but this can be temporarily bent/buckled slightly to allow it to pass through a bit better.

Once fitted and locked, I pull as much of the chain forward as I can so it rests on the plastic cover rather the metal parts of the engine for a little heat protection - but you can see some "scuff" marks just next to the keys where the plastic from the lock part of the chain has got a little hot and left some paint covering behind. The plastic sheath of the bike chain is the bit I was actually worried about with the heat, however the only signs of damage on it is from pulling it through the bonnet holes as the sharpish edges scraped some of the plastic slightly. Not really a problem.

I photographed the bike chain packaging if you want to search for that particular one as it seems to fit especially well and give the right sort of length to lock the bonnet in place but still allow it to be opened - just Smile
Of course I should probably say that "there are other brands of bike chain available!"

I still may buy those bonnet security hinges but I don't think they look quite as nice and they are a heck of a lot more than a tenner.

Post #228063 17th Apr 2013 10:06am
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
£2000.00 Painted thats the current replacement cost as I had mine done after the locking rod collapsed inside the spring catch.
I did put up sometime ago how I secured mine internally and externally covering the cable release wire, but can't direct you cos I can't now find it.
I changed one of the bonnet nuts and bolts and placed shortened battery cable form the inside of the one bolt to the body work so the bonnet could be lifted anywhere near 90 degrees but enough for essential work and servie to be done under the bonnet.
I then stuck Land Rover stickers on the drivers door glass and the middle of the bonnet at the front..............touch wood to date nowt.
Mind you I do also put a Krookloc on everywhere I park to, as I want to keep the LWB TDCi for a little while now I have it back Thumbs Up
Post #228133 17th Apr 2013 2:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1