Home > Td5 > TD5 starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
TD5 starting problems
Well,
I've had a bit of a problem starting my defender recently, it started at the back end of last year when the weather started to get cold, starting from cold started taking longer and longer and it was sounding like theres air in the fuel so ive purged the system and let the pump run on for abit but once it had started then it would be fine for the rest of the day, but the last week or so it's been a pain to start from hot too, when I turn it over it is almost on the point of firing but not quite until I've turned it over for a while
But this evening while I was out shooting with a mate in the middle of a field about a mile away from the road it just wouldn't start, just kept turning over and over and almost firing, so in the end luckily I was parked in a bit of a hill so I bumped it backwards and it started
Since it first started with the problem I have tried alsorts after doing various searches, glow plugs were first, then oil and filters inc fuel filter, new bearmach fuel pump, genuine lr injector seals, new battery, checked for leaks around rpv and checked gauze filter, checked injector harness for oil but all clear, unsure what else to try, I'm thinking of fitting a new fuel filter housing in case it's porous.
The noise from the pump has been about the same even after any of the things I've changed, you can hear the air in the lines and it gradually gets quieter the longer its left, I have noticed though that when the tank is over 3/4 full then it just makes the normal buzzing slung and no air sound
I've not got a nanocom or anything to test the fuel pressure on start up, suppose I should try and get one really
I wasn't too bothered about it being abit slow on first start up because I saw it as a security feature but now if its going to leave me stuck in the middle of a field then I've got to get it sorted Neutral
Hopefully one of you knowledgable chaps can shed abit of light on it for me, or if there someone around the Doncaster area that knows about TD5s then I'd be gratefull to know who
Thanks for reading Thumbs Up
Post #225315 7th Apr 2013 9:29pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Could be your fuel pump relay not switching due to low voltage while cranking.
How old is your battery? 
Post #225328 7th Apr 2013 10:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
238kirk

It's only a few month old, I changed that in case it wasn't getting the cranking amps off the old battery, incidentally when it's cranking the pump relay seems to click on and off but I don't know it that's normal
Post #225329 7th Apr 2013 11:00pm
Laurie

238kirk wrote:
It's only a few month old, I changed that in case it wasn't getting the cranking amps off the old battery, incidentally when it's cranking the pump relay seems to click on and off but I don't know it that's normal

I had this problem a couple of years ago. If the relay's clicking while cranking then that is your problem.
Try replacing the relay. If it still vibrates check your battery connections and add a new earth cable between the relays and the gearbox. 
Post #225330 7th Apr 2013 11:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
238kirk

Ok thanks ill give it a go Thumbs Up
Post #225331 7th Apr 2013 11:09pm
Laurie

Should be a yellow relay. 
Post #225332 7th Apr 2013 11:15pm
238kirk

Unbelievable, thanks Laurie, you were 100% right about the relays clicking on and off during cranking, it turned out that both the fuel pump relay and the heater plug relay were clicking during cranking so first of all I swapped the relays for some out of my van as they were the same but the problem was still there and as they both were doing it I figured it must be something else and re fitted the originals
Previously I'd read about the earth wire under the ecu near the relays being a problem but I'd cleaned it up and refitted it so I didn't think that was a problem until Laurie suggested running another earth, so I run another earth wire from under the ecu direct to the battery and hey presto...... No clicking relays and starts instantly! I even removed the earth straight away to prove it, Would you believe something as simple as that and best of all it's a free fix
Thanks again for the info Thumbs Up
Post #225415 8th Apr 2013 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1