↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 300 TDI into a LHD 1985 110!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ianmenai

Wales 
300 TDI into a LHD 1985 110!
I have an ex MoD 1985 LHD 110, naturally aspirated of course!
I am hoping to get a complete 300 tdi engine and gearbox complete with transfer box from a dead Disco.
Engine mounts, exhaust and water works I know about but will the 380 gearbox and transfer box just bolt in?
Mine obviously has the LT77 box and the original LT230R (I presume) transfer box, but I'd like to go 'up market' and put a 380 box etc. in to replace the rather old and noisy originals. The engine and gearbox are MoD reconditioned ones but how long ago I have no idea! Both are fine and oil tight, just noisy though the engine is very sweet but gutless especially when towing a trailer with a mini digger on board!
I drove it from Cardiff to my retirement project in France, some 500 odd miles and never once topped 90 kph! I kept the lorries company on the steep motorway gradients in the crawler lane as I entered the Limousin, and no I wasn't towing, just relativity well loaded and two up! That journey decided me on the 300 tdi route!
So I know about the various kits that Steve Parker does for the engine but I'm wondering about the transmission aspect. Steve covers putting a 300 tdi engine in but using the original LT77 gearbox etc.
So all help anybody can give please, bearing in mind it is left hand drive, and I have put in a 4 bolt power steering box. What a difference!
Thanks in advance.

Ian
Post #215183 1st Mar 2013 9:05am
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
From memory, i think the gearbox mounts are part of the removable cross member on a disco so the easiest thing to do would be to bolt the discos crossmember on to your chassis.....it should fit. Doing iit this way would mean cutting the seat box about a bit as the bell housing is longer on a disco so the gear levers would sit further back. This isn't as abd as it sounds as you can quite easily graft the disco centre console in to the 110 to create a neat look, or fabricate your own transmission tunnel.

Someone will be along shortly to either confirm I am right or correct me!
Post #215186 1st Mar 2013 9:09am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Jim is correct. I have just done this conversion on a 1983 110. However I bought a new galvanised chassis with the 300 tdi engine mounts in the right place. If you are doing the conversion on your own chassis you will need to remove the old engine mounts and weld in new ones for the 300 (there is another solution but it is very contrived!)
You will need either to source correct gearbox mounts and central cross member from a 300 tdi defender or you can do what I did and modify the Disco one which involves cutting and welding to make it deeper to account for the different thickness of the chassis rails. The 3 triangular mounting holes though are in the same place on all models so are you basic reference point. Make sure you keep all the plumbing for the radiator, intercooler, oil cooler etc from the disco and all the wiring for the heater plugs and the rest of the engine. You need to cut the radiator mounts down by and inch to bring the disco radiator frame low enough to get the bonnet slam panel on.

You need the front prop off the Disco and will need to source a new prop shaft for the rear axle.

Inside is the biggest issue and you will have to heavily modify the transmission tunnel. This is a bit of a pain to get it to look halfways tidy. My recommendation would be to throw out the existing tunnel which is only really like it is to get a middle seat in and to build your own custom tunnel which wil be wider and higher but allow you to use the discovery gear levers in the new position. I actually ended up extending and bending mine to get them in a nicer position (but then I also removed my seatbox and made a flat floor and moved my seats back a couple of inches to improve cockpit comfort.

There is a photo story of my build if you are interested

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=79226&hl=

If photos don't show detail then just pm me, I may have better shots of specifics.

Mark
Post #215204 1st Mar 2013 10:12am
Ianmenai

Wales 
hi Mark
thank you very much for all that information.

I think the link you posted is broken or not all there!

Being ex MoD, the chassis is good but the bodywork is squaddyfied with plenty of little dings and the transmission tunnel has already been 'looked at'! the doors are an interesting fit too! They close and stay closed but the view through the gap is interesting;-)

Do you know if it being LHD will throw up any problems, the handbrake for instance?

Cheers

Ian
Post #215241 1st Mar 2013 1:53pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
As said, the 300 crossmember is a bolt in job, BUT you'll need the 300 floor plates and transmission tunnel to fit it in (same as Td5 ones), although this does keep it nice and neat.

PM me your email, i've got pictures with all the dimensions on for the 300 engine mounts in a defender, I'll fling them over.

LHD should make no difference.
Post #215248 1st Mar 2013 2:11pm
Ianmenai

Wales 
Jim,
Many thanks for all the info. The pictures explain a lot.
Ian
Post #215482 2nd Mar 2013 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1